3 day routine for a little mass and power

True2KungFu

King Of No Pants
@Green
Reaction score
allrighty, i have a friend whose about 5'10 and 147ish pounds who is my tkd teammate, i want to make him a strong middleweight at about 160ish pounds but still focus on lots of power and speed since it is Tkd....

so far..... hes been progressing good in strength as i had him doing 2 full body days with me but his mass gain was minimal, so i moved his liftin up to 3 days a week, and i would like your opinion on this setup for his gain of lean muscle mass and gaining explosiveness

day 1 - squats 5x5
power cleans 3x5
good mornings 3x8
lunges 2x15

day 2 - bench 5x5
dips 3x5
military press 2x10
pushups till failure

day 3 deads 5x5
body weight pullups 3x10
SLDL's 2x10
bent over rows 3x5

i try to keep the reps for him about medium range on the big three for a mix of power and muscle and go a little higher for size gains on auxillary stuff.... suggestoins or comments quite welcome . Without this site i would have known nothing about proper strength training and im grateful for the awsome info ive discovered here.

1.Training for Muscle Mass: Lets take a step back to your original problem: He's not gaining weight. He needs to eat close to 3000 calories a day if he wants to gain a good amount of muscle. This should be divided up well between meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, and nuts/pastas. Sleep is a must, up to 10 hours is key.

2. If you want to train him for explosiveness, you need to have him train with explosive movements. The power cleans are good for clinching and tackling. What about jumping squats for kicks? Good mornings seem a little too over-excesive and I dont see them helping out in a fight, along with 2 deadlifts in one week.I would switch out the S.L. DeadLifts for farmer walks and the good mornings with jumping squats. And I would throw Dumbell Snatches in there for is trap strength.

3. Is he doing bag/pad-work as well?

4. What is he training FOR? TKD or MMA?

thank you for your response. He is training for olympic style taekwondo. On the lifting days we practice kicks in between sets and a little before and after on the bag. On days we dont lift we do like an hour or so of kicks and such and then endurance training.

I dont have him doing jumping squats currently because we did about a month and a half to two months of lifting with plyos already, but they will come back in later. The farmers walks sound like a good idea.

any more input is greatly appreciated, i gotta have him be my reliable middleweight haha.

Huh. Well, then your routine seems good now that you've cleared up the plyo-training. Farmer's walks are good for grip strength, and i am not sure how much he needs that in olymp. TKD. Deadlifts get your forearms strong as well. Seems like a good routine for building muscle, but he needs to have a strict diet as well. And dont forget core exercises, let me know if you arent sure about them. A good yoga ball will help immensely for core-activities, and get his middle STRONG!

thank you for your response. He is training for olympic style taekwondo. On the lifting days we practice kicks in between sets and a little before and after on the bag. On days we dont lift we do like an hour or so of kicks and such and then endurance training.

I dont have him doing jumping squats currently because we did about a month and a half to two months of lifting with plyos already, but they will come back in later. The farmers walks sound like a good idea.

any more input is greatly appreciated, i gotta have him be my reliable middleweight haha.

Back