3.5 months in, stronger than ever!

antant

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I think my first post here was thanking Urban and Carnal for all the info they've shared. I just wanted to say that its been about 3 and a half months of Urban's routine, and I just pulled 1 set of 200x5 on my dead, I would have done more sets, but I scared myself just doing that. Yay! (I had originally only started out with 135 :icon_sad:)

I wasn't focusing on looks, but as a result of power lifting I got some compliments from some people I havn't seen in a awhile. Mostly compliments like my posture is better and I stand "taller" whatever that means. My belly is still big, and has flab, but its rock hard flab LOL. My GF and I are baffeled about how I have a Round Hard belly.....round is usually synonomous with soft, anyone else have this problem?

Well, sorry to waste your precious forum reading time, but I thought I'd post this to help n00bs like myself out who don't have a clue where to start. SEE URBAN's WEBSITE (and then you can ask questions about getting bigger and stronger after 3 months.) Hah!

Thanks again to the more experienced forum posters, I didn't mention your names cause you didn't post a website telling me what routine to use, but I got a LOT of info from you guys too. So thank you very much. I'll update again in another 3.5 months.

(I've been trying to get my GF to steer while I push my car, but she won't have any of it, thinks somehow she'll run me over.....guess i'll just have to make that sled.)

Nice dude! Keep up the good work!

Wolverine
///

Nice job man. Keep uping the weight and keep those new records coming. Congratulations!!!!111!

antant said:
My belly is still big, and has flab, but its rock hard flab LOL. My GF and I are baffeled about how I have a Round Hard belly.....round is usually synonomous with soft, anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like intra-abdominal fat. You can store fat right under the skin, (the soft one) or under the abdominal wall, which will make a big belly but will still be hard. Unfortunately, intra-abdominal fat has been correlated to higher risks of heart diseases. DOn't panic though, everyone has some intra abdominal fat. And if you have a lot, losing a bit of weight should solve the problem. Although I'm not very fat, I can see when I lose weight that some of the fat was intra abdominal: smaller midsection with still some soft fat on top.

You seem like you're on the right way though, keep up the good work. I personally would not cut right now if things are going so well. Some of it might just go away in the process.

Speaking of potbellies, why do so many powerlifters have em? Does excess caloric intake translate to better lifts (along with excessive fat)?

Sounds like intra-abdominal fat. You can store fat right under the skin, (the soft one) or under the abdominal wall, which will make a big belly but will still be hard. Unfortunately, intra-abdominal fat has been correlated to higher risks of heart diseases

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Man, I guess I should work on my cardio, I had been neglecting it for the lifting. I'll try to make progress in my lifts, but maybe I should put serious focus on my cardio. I always "forget" that my heart is a muscle too....and that it is one of the strongest and most important ones (poor latino heat *sob*).

I think I let myself "forget" to do the cardio because powerlifting is so much more fun and instantly gratifying. Ahhrgh....why did you bring up heart-disease!!!!!!!!!! Damn, light lifting today, mostly cardio ehehe. Oh....and now I have to really watch what I eat.

If all goes well financially I'll be starting either Muay Thai or Bjj by January. That should help with the belly fat. (anyone from the San Fernando Valley, SoCal?) Yay!

Thanks for all the support! Reason why I like working hard (powerlifting or other), Its always awesome to suprise yourself when you do something that seemed absolutely impossible only 3.5 months ago.

The good news that intra-abdominal fat is the first to go when (and if) you start shedding weight.

As for fat powerlifters grady, I'm pretty sure you're trolling but I'll explain it anyways: First, not all powerlifters are fat. in fact most that compete in weight divisions under 225 lbs are pretty trim (chuck V. Comes to mind). It's the superheavyweights that give the whole business a bad rep. And they aquire fat for two reasons 1) they don't care what they look like, only about moving more wieght, and 2) it has been said that it DOES actually help you in some lifts (smaller range of motion on bench, better stabilization on squats). To conclude, not all powerlifters are fat, in fact most of them aren't.

And if you follow the scene a little bit you may notice, that even among the Superheavies its kind of a trend to shred of some fat. but could some of those huge bellys also be a result of HGH abuse?

Antant, by all means, keep lifting. It's not the time to abandon a goal you are doing well at. Maybe adding a day or two of cardio might help. Again, I have not seen your condition, but everybody has some intra-abdominal fat. The tendency is genetical: some tend to store more under the abs, some over the abs.

If you're worried about heart diseases, add fish, flak (omega 3) and fiber to your diet and cut down saturated/trans fat (that is mostly butter and margarine, all hydrogenated oils and some parts of red meat.) Lay down the eggs too (unless they are omega 3 eggs).

Sorry to take so much place in this thread, but I found something relevant. Recent studies have shown that waist to hip ratio is more relevant to heart disease risk than BMI.This is not the study though, I was not able to put my finger on it, but it has the basic idea.

http://www.health.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=61705

Urban said:
The good news that intra-abdominal fat is the first to go when (and if) you start shedding weight.

As for fat powerlifters grady, I'm pretty sure you're trolling but I'll explain it anyways: First, not all powerlifters are fat. in fact most that compete in weight divisions under 225 lbs are pretty trim (chuck V. Comes to mind). It's the superheavyweights that give the whole business a bad rep. And they aquire fat for two reasons 1) they don't care what they look like, only about moving more wieght, and 2) it has been said that it DOES actually help you in some lifts (smaller range of motion on bench, better stabilization on squats). To conclude, not all powerlifters are fat, in fact most of them aren't.

Urban, thanks for the answer, and I wasn't trolling (although I can see how the wording of my post might make folks think that is the case).

It is the "typical" "big powerlifter build" that often has what looks to be excessive weight to me, and I exepct it was there for a reason, which you point out, might have some benefit.

+1 for Urban's webpage appreciation - Me: 6' 155lbs a year ago, now 205lbs and have never felt better in my life!

And about the belly bulge, I would say it's more genetic than anything. I still have a little bulge at the bottom of my belly, and when I look at pictures of myself at 155 I had the same bulge just proportianately smaller.

Also, appreciation to everyone else who posts here... if you're a complete noob just keep watching this formum for a few weeks and you'll get most of the main answers for gettintg stronger

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to eat more fish, and less red meat. But I also gotta cut down on the chocolate, soda, and ice cream. Like they say, if you wanna lose wieght, don't eat processed foods. *sigh* Here goes my best!

Back