23...never lifted weights. Help

Hondata

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Well shouldn't really say never. I have but never stuck to it and never showed results. Over the last couple of weeks I have tried to change a bit. I am 5'10 and was at 203. I'm now at 182. I plan on getting down to about 170 or so and starting to lift weights. Haven't smoke in over a month. Cut down my drinking from about 3-5 beers a night to a week.

My bro moved in with me and he has a 700 dollar treadmill, and a 500 bench and weights.
When it comes to training I don't know shit. Not a thing. Some of the myths in my head are the lift light/alot for size and the lift alot/few times for stregth. Thats about it.

I could spend all day asking questions and buging the fuck out of everyone so I was wondering what books you people would recommend? Something to cover the basics and keep me from breaking a hip or something. Also any info you guys can give me for someone starting out would be helpful.

Thanks alot.

Hey, man, You will find a wealth of information in the stickies. Be sure to check out Carnal's treatise. There are also a crapload of links you can check out there, all of which will tell you something useful.

Have someone there to correct your form the first few times. Bad form is a quick way to an injury. Also, be honest and don't get macho about how much you think you can lift and end up pulling something.
Get enough protein.

I think the supplement part of lifting is very confuseing for me. I've come to the conclusion that what works for some won't for others. One thing everyone agrees on is Protein. It seems that the Pro-Tech /Cell Tech fury that was going around a couple of years ago has died down, all of my friends have had results with muscle milk.

My brother will train with me and I have several friends that lift also. These guys lift anywhere from 220 to over 400. I won't be sharing the bench with my boy Quincy (400+) lift anytime soon.

I think the fact I never showed results was the fact that I had horrible or no form to my lifting. Not macho. Out of my friends Im the weakest. I can kick you in the nuts and run like hell though...J/K

I never even bothered about the supplement part. As long as I am getting enough food in my system, my body will function properly.

Hondata said:
I think the fact I never showed results was the fact that I had horrible or no form to my lifting. Not macho. Out of my friends Im the weakest. I can kick you in the nuts and run like hell though...J/K

hence the text under your name :wink:

I'd suggest you learn how to dl and squat (if you have the right safety gear to squat). They will bring up your total muscular strength.

Get a lot of protein in your diet, whole foods are better then supplements, but supplements are good for just after a workout due to the faster absorption.

Your 5'10" and 170.....don't get any lower.

I'm 5'11" and about 85 kg and thats just about right for my height (I fight, so......)

Start with light weights, and work your way up a little bit at a time. Focus on form

finnegan said:
Have someone there to correct your form the first few times. Bad form is a quick way to an injury. Also, be honest and don't get macho about how much you think you can lift and end up pulling something.
Get enough protein.

Of course you are assuming anyone there knows correct form.

Thats actually what I'm looking for, a book with pics of CORRECT form. I've seen the bench done with elbows in or with them parral and out. Also what is the best routine for gaining mass for me? I'll read the stickies but I would like a book also if anyone has ideas. Thanks for the info everyone.

for get the suppliments for the first 3 months (imho) .. this is the period where you get the most gains. so go as far as you can jsut on your own and eat lots. when you find your body adjusting and results are week by week anymore then start takign suppliments.

as for lifting work on form, you know your the weakest so work up slowly. i rushed my bench press and to date it sucks ass!

good luck and hope you stick with it

I would find a good strength coach, Kettlebell/Clubbell Coach in your area to help you learn the proper form, Form is key. Form is quickly learned either bad or good. You need to learn good form right away. Since once you learn bad form, its really hard to learn good form and stick with it, since one's neuro patterns get set quick. Its funny. Some people doing some exercises wrong, one shows them the right away,you walk away, then they go back doing it their way..bad way.

Hondata said:
Thats actually what I'm looking for, a book with pics of CORRECT form. I've seen the bench done with elbows in or with them parral and out. Also what is the best routine for gaining mass for me? I'll read the stickies but I would like a book also if anyone has ideas. Thanks for the info everyone.

Then avoid Arnie's "Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding", LOL. It's great for showing you all the exercises but nearly everything in the book is performed incorrectly.

For olympic lifts (and their variations):
Explosive Lifting for Sports

For powerlifts:
Powerlifting

For the bodybuilding stuff:
Muscle Mechanics
This will be released next month.

IMO the best book on form is Stuart McRobert's Insider's Tell All handbook on WEight Training Technique. Holy fuck what a retarded title. Its a good book though.

T-Man said:
IMO the best book on form is Stuart McRobert's Insider's Tell All handbook on WEight Training Technique. Holy fuck what a retarded title. Its a good book though.

That is a good book. It is all about good form and injury prevention.

Lots of detail and description. Lots of pictures.

form, moderation, avoid pain, and common sense,

weight lifting is not something to take out your anger on, beginners do this and
screw themselves out worse.

A good training program will kick your butt, and afterwards you will feel alive
and stress relief, it is different from just taking out your anger by lifting hard core which is a
fast way to injury.

arnies book is rubbish? cant be that bad, look at the dude in his prime, surely wrong form (even with roids) wouldn't achieve that? i don't know shit about weightlifting so im probably wrong and feel free to tell me to shut the F&^% up!

Back