Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: Kirsten Gillibrand Launches 2020 Presidential Exploratory Committee

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lead, Dec 24, 2018.

  1. japman40

    japman40 Green Belt

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,477
    Likes Received:
    1,704
    Location:
    Your sis place
    How many third party nominees have won the presidency? 51% is better than 0%, I live in California so I don't have to vote democrat if bernie doesn't get elected. Just like last election I voted for bernie in the primaries and green party for the general. How well did the green party do the last few elections?
     
  2. japman40

    japman40 Green Belt

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,477
    Likes Received:
    1,704
    Location:
    Your sis place
    You actually believe bernie would win the presidency running as a third party candidate? That's pretty delusional if you ask me.

    Trump doesn't equal establishment democrat as much as you want to believe that. Even with a corrupt neoliberal like Hillary in charge we wouldn't have had a government shutdown, two horrible u.s supreme court picks, a tax cut for the rich that doubled the yearly deficit and made the middle class pick up the slack, extreme deregulation hurting the environment, pulling out of the iran deal, pulling out of the Paris agreement, etc....

    Im an issues based voter and realist, you vote for what's the best option of what's given to you. The problem is our voting system, once that's change than your third party delusions would make sense.
     
  3. Anung Un Rama

    Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Messages:
    64,492
    Likes Received:
    53,503
    Location:
    Yancy Street
    It would depend on the field.

    ???

    Based on what? Clinton vetoed a spending bill that shut down the government.
    2?
    Obama extended the tax cuts for the rich, why wouldn't Hillary or another Democrat?
    what has the Democratic Party done for the middle class? They're practically extinct.
    Glass-Steagall?
    Standing Rock? Does Flint MI count,
    You're 100% confident that Hillary Clinton wouldn't have pulled out fo the Iran Deal??
    This was bad optics at the very least, but I've read conflicting reports on how significant the agreement actually was. Don't know enough to comment intelligently.

    As am I. I wouldn't vote for a third party candidate unless his/her platform was in line with my beliefs and what I felt was needed for the country to move forward.[/quote]
     
  4. Anung Un Rama

    Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Messages:
    64,492
    Likes Received:
    53,503
    Location:
    Yancy Street
    I strongly disagree that a platform that is 49% shit is worth your vote when a third party platform might be 100% good is an option, but you're too scared they won't win. You did the right thing voting for Bernie and then Green in 2016.
     
  5. japman40

    japman40 Green Belt

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,477
    Likes Received:
    1,704
    Location:
    Your sis place
    It's not about being scared or not, it's about reality. It's about third party voting in a presidential election not being a realistic with our current voting system. If you can't understand that I don't know what to say.

    I voted third party, how did that work out? I actually just voted green party to help them reach 5%
     
  6. xcvbn

    xcvbn Silver Belt Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2006
    Messages:
    12,718
    Likes Received:
    9,372
    If I could choose between:

    A. Protect the Kurds/Stay in Syria indefinitely
    B. Abandon the Kurds/Leave Syria immediately

    I'd choose B every single time. It's an illegal war where our involvement was predicated on the reckless CIA training and armament of extremists which culminated in a thriving Al-Qaeda branch in Syria and ISIS.

    Having said that, if it were up to me I would have remained diplomatic by first pushing for a ceasefire agreement that included ample protections for the Kurds with a path towards a free Kurdistan. Trump's lack of understanding of the situation and tact is apparent in this complete hands-off approach.
     
  7. Streeter

    Streeter Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016
    Messages:
    4,317
    Likes Received:
    3,720
    A Biden /Bloomberg ticket we ould be nice to see
     
    M3t4tr0n likes this.
  8. Streeter

    Streeter Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016
    Messages:
    4,317
    Likes Received:
    3,720
    Biden wins easily if he really wants it.
     
  9. HockeyBjj

    HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    Messages:
    9,883
    Likes Received:
    14,262
    Nope. Not 51%. Only got get about 5% right, but make it a really correct issue with your voter base

    In Texas, that's guns. Alabama, fake the Christian act hard. Florida, don't say a damn thing about income tax. California, white Christian men are evil. Illinois, tax the rest of the state to pay for free shit in Chicago. Montana, look tough. New York, abortions for everyone.

    So many single issue voters you just gotta get 1 or 2 issues right with them and the rest don't matter at all
     
    Anung Un Rama likes this.
  10. Limit Smasher

    Limit Smasher Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    5,562
    Anyone think Maxine Waters might run? She seems to have a decent following. Would anyone here vote for her?
     
  11. Only Here for Attachments

    Only Here for Attachments Free from yellow thanks to my state's congress

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2016
    Messages:
    13,938
    Likes Received:
    33,940
    Yes, let's trot out guys that are pushing 80 in hopes of winning by not being Trump. That's worked out so well the last few years!
     
  12. VivaRevolution

    VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    Messages:
    23,267
    Likes Received:
    25,122
    Isn't a 1% chance of getting 99% of what you want, superior to a 50% chance of getting 51% of what you want?
     
  13. Anung Un Rama

    Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Messages:
    64,492
    Likes Received:
    53,503
    Location:
    Yancy Street
    Its only a reality because people have been scared into thinking there isn't another choice. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
     
  14. PolishHeadlock

    PolishHeadlock Putin Belt Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2012
    Messages:
    41,659
    Likes Received:
    36,249
    Location:
    Phila fucking delphia
    Does Bloomberg have appeal to anybody outside of NYC?
     
  15. Diamond Jim

    Diamond Jim Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2011
    Messages:
    11,441
    Likes Received:
    16,036
    Location:
    Austin, Tx


    One of the perks of entering earlier is picking staff.
     
    M3t4tr0n likes this.
  16. Anung Un Rama

    Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Messages:
    64,492
    Likes Received:
    53,503
    Location:
    Yancy Street
    2016 was Joe's window, he blew it.
     
  17. Fluffernutter

    Fluffernutter Red Belt

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Messages:
    7,754
    Likes Received:
    6,978
    Now that California is now an early primary state, whoever wins that state, wins the nomination.

    My guess would be either a California candidiate or someone that walks into the primaties with a HUGE war chest that can spend lots of money criss-crossing the state and buying up lots of ad space in many many markets from Eureka to San Diego.
     
  18. bobgeese

    bobgeese Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    12,556
    Likes Received:
    15,320


    Then gets smashed in the general.


    John Q. Public isn’t voting for drunk driving fake Mexican guy.
     
    Culombo likes this.
  19. bobgeese

    bobgeese Silver Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    12,556
    Likes Received:
    15,320



    Go out to Ohio and ask voters there if they’ve heard of any of those people.

    Then try explaining how orange man bad because all those people were charged with stuff that had nothing to do with Trump.


    <seedat>



    Then try explaining why democrats support illegals over citizens.


    That will really get you the votes...
     
    Limit Smasher and Culombo like this.
  20. Culombo

    Culombo Brown Belt

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    2,487
    lol .. she has no chance whatsoever .. I guess it's good for her brand/name but she can't possibly think she has any shot

     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.