Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: Inslee and Hickenlooper out

2019 WR Democratic Straw Poll (Pick Up to 3)

• John Delaney (US Congressman MD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Islee (Former Governor WA)

• Marianne Williamson (Entrepreneur)

• Wayne Messam (Mayor Miramar, FL)

• Michael Bennet (Senator CO) *Hasn't decided yet*

• Bill DeBlasio (Mayor New York, NY) *Hasn't decided yet*

• Other (Please Post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
so you're gonna keep getting my toes in your mouth and also all of the funk that's on my toes, until you stop replying or address what I said instead of ducking (like a toe-sucking bitch).
you're embarrassing yourself

What's the idea? I haven't heard about it.
https://www.yang2020.com/policies/news-information-ombudsman/

"
“Fake news” is a rampant problem. Online media market incentives reward ‘clickbait’ and controversy even as our social media feeds send us more and more outrageous stories to incite a reaction.

The rewards for publishing inflammatory content are high with no real penalty. At the extreme end, those who wish to misinform the American public can do so with little fear of repercussions. The lack of trusted news increasingly isolates us in information silos that hurt our democracy.

We must introduce both a means to investigate and punish those who are seeking to misinform the American public. If enough citizens complain about a particular source of information and news is demonstrably and deliberately false, there should be penalties. I will appoint a new News and Information Ombudsman with the power to fine egregious corporate offenders. One of the main purposes of the Ombudsman will be to identify sources of spurious information that are associated with foreign nationals. The Ombudsman will work with social media companies to identify fraudulent accounts and disable and punish responsible parties. The Ombudsman will be part of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
"

Bolded the worst parts. This dude wants an unelected official under the FCC to determine what is true and false, and to fine news corporations when the unelected government official determines it's fake news. It's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, it's totalitarian. There may be some justification for punishing foreign organizations under certain circumstances, but imagine this idea under the Trump administration.

you're embarrassing yourself
Keep sucking my toes, bitch.

"
“Fake news” is a rampant problem. Online media market incentives reward ‘clickbait’ and controversy even as our social media feeds send us more and more outrageous stories to incite a reaction.

The rewards for publishing inflammatory content are high with no real penalty. At the extreme end, those who wish to misinform the American public can do so with little fear of repercussions. The lack of trusted news increasingly isolates us in information silos that hurt our democracy.

We must introduce both a means to investigate and punish those who are seeking to misinform the American public. If enough citizens complain about a particular source of information and news is demonstrably and deliberately false, there should be penalties. I will appoint a new News and Information Ombudsman with the power to fine egregious corporate offenders. One of the main purposes of the Ombudsman will be to identify sources of spurious information that are associated with foreign nationals. The Ombudsman will work with social media companies to identify fraudulent accounts and disable and punish responsible parties. The Ombudsman will be part of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
"

Bolded the worst parts. This dude wants an unelected official under the FCC to determine what is true and false, and to fine news corporations when the unelected government official determines it's fake news. It's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, it's totalitarian. There may be some justification for punishing foreign organizations under certain circumstances, but imagine this idea under the Trump administration.

Goddammit! Stop making sense!

I'm nearly back to zero with the field. Buttigeig, Harris, Warren, Gillibrand, Beto, Yang all likely eliminated for considering court packing (with Warren and Beto even more so for wanting to eliminate the fillibuster as well). Castro, Bernie, and Booker escape that first criteria but support a lot of new fairly large programs and supported the Green New Deal and just don't really align with me from a policy perspective. Leaves around possibly Hickenlooper, Klobuchar, and Ryan but I'd have to read up more on their stances on late term abortions. Biden is still oddly enough a wild card cause I don't know where he isn't going to run on half these policies despite his record so I'll wait a bit to make a verdict there. I want to say Biden, Hickenlooper, Ryan, Klobuchar, Castro, Booker, and Bullock are probably the people that might still have something for me but have my doubts.

I'm nearly back to zero with the field. Buttigeig, Harris, Warren, Gillibrand, Beto, Yang all likely eliminated for considering court packing (with Warren and Beto even more so for wanting to eliminate the fillibuster as well). Castro, Bernie, and Booker escape that first criteria but support a lot of new fairly large programs and supported the Green New Deal and just don't really align with me from a policy perspective. Leaves around possibly Hickenlooper, Klobuchar, and Ryan but I'd have to read up more on their stances on late term abortions. Biden is still oddly enough a wild card cause I don't know where he isn't going to run on half these policies despite his record so I'll wait a bit to make a verdict there. I want to say Biden, Hickenlooper, Ryan, Klobuchar, Castro, Booker, and Bullock are probably the people that might still have something for me but have my doubts.

Ryan is a guy to watch in Iowa. They love guys like him up there. Still don’t think he wins anywhere outside the Rust Belt.

16 Candidates Now Qualify For The First Democratic Primary Debates
FiveThirtyEight
0426_POLLA-4x3.png

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s presidential announcement wasn’t the only big 2020 news this week: According to our research, 16 Democratic candidates have now qualified for the first two primary debates this summer, counting Biden, who only needed to enter the race to qualify, and Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan, who was put over the top by a new survey from Reuters/Ipsos. And as a result, author Marianne Williamson has also qualified as a major candidate by FiveThirtyEight’s standards — more on how the two are connected and how she qualified in a moment. (And yes, this means we’ll have a profile on how she could win the Democratic primary next week.)

That is gonna be aa shit show

The first two debates will be capped at 20 candidates and split between two nights with 10 candidates each. They will be mixed evenly by rank so neither night will be the "lower tier" debate.

The first two debates will be capped at 20 candidates and split between two nights with 10 candidates each. They will be mixed evenly by rank so neither night will be the "lower tier" debate.
10 is still a lot. How many dem debates are there this time? A dozen?

Ryan is a guy to watch in Iowa. They love guys like him up there. Still don’t think he wins anywhere outside the Rust Belt.

Yea, many of these people I've only heard talk maybe once and have really just seen some policy stances. How they all will interact on the debate stage is going to be something.

10 is still a lot. How many dem debates are there this time? A dozen?

I think 10 is manageable. The early debates you want to host as many as you can and they are being smart splitting it up rather than trying over 10 at a time. Will allow for more exchanges. After the first two debates, I'm sure they will reign in the number significantly to maybe 16 or less. Some of these people just want to be seen and talk on a national stage for a bit.

There are 12 scheduled debates (with some being back to back night events)

I think 10 is manageable. The early debates you want to host as many as you can and they are being smart splitting it up rather than trying over 10 at a time. Will allow for more exchanges. After the first two debates, I'm sure they will reign in the number significantly to maybe 16 or less. Some of these people just want to be seen and talk on a national stage for a bit.

There are 12 scheduled debates (with some being back to back night events)
I expect a lot ofpeople to drop out after their first couple debates honestly. Usually wittles down the field nicely.

I just wanna see Biden and Bernie talk at each other.

Yea, many of these people I've only heard talk maybe once and have really just seen some policy stances. How they all will interact on the debate stage is going to be something.

Something about Iowans, but they really seem to have this aversion to national politicians with perceived front runner status.

I expect a lot ofpeople to drop out after their first couple debates honestly. Usually wittles down the field nicely.

I just wanna see Biden and Bernie talk at each other.

They definitely will but it's likely they will be on different nights the first two events. The DNC is going to have to be smooth in dwindling the number because some will want to stay on despite the lack of support. You want to try to field everyone early and then justify the ones who didn't bump at all afterwards. Some of these state reps will go fast I bet like Delaney, whether they want to or not.

"

"

Keep sucking my toes, bitch.
Yeah, the potential for abuse is ridiculous.

@Fawlty! Good God.

2020 Democratic Primary Thread v2: WR Strawpoll Begins

Bernie or Bust.

lol @ Guy Benson falling for Mayor Pete. I sense he's going to get a nice wake up call on what the deal really is with fuckhead right-wingers if he continues praising him.

@Fawlty! Good God.

Bernie or Bust.

lol @ Guy Benson falling for Mayor Pete. I sense he's going to get a nice wake up call on what the deal really is with fuckhead right-wingers if he continues praising him.

The toe-sucking comments itt or the Gay for Mayor Pete campaign?

Also I don't blame that dude for "attacking" the witless sycophants of the Trump Twitter Brigade for being witless sycophants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back