2015 World Judo Championships Live Stream

Iliadis just went down 15 seconds into overtime, too. Went chest to chest belt wrestling with a Mongolian and got muscled down, Mongolian style.

Commentators have been remarking on this too, but many, if not all the favorites - former or current Olympic and World champs have almost all gone down in the elimination stages. Looks like Riner is the only one who retains his red patch for the next two years.

Keep your eye on Masyu Baker the Japanese-American -90 player.
He is one of the rising young talents in world judo.

You know what's funny?

Listening to two native-English speakers calling a guy named Matthew Baker "Baker Mashu" by Japanese name order, the given name of which is just a poor Japanese transliteration of "Matthew". Then later on, calling him Matthew Baker.

The English guy, Sheldon Franco-Rooks, does an admirable job at pronouncing all these names, especially those long Mongolian ones. The American sounds so very... American. :icon_lol:

Lots of big names went out in the pools: Hoth, Liparteliani, Baker, Iliadis, Van 'T End.

Gviniashvilli in the semi finals as a 19 year old though? Impressive as hell.

Repechage and finals about to start soon.

Did all the F12 judoka drift away or something? You'd think there'd be enough to discuss the free live streamed World Championships, but I guess not.

I'll watch them later. Sucks Van 't End is out though.

I'm at work whilst this is on so don't have as much free time to watch and discuss it.

Denisov looking strong.

Honestly, you ain't missing much.

I've been trying to keep from being super-negative about the state of modern judo but this shit is ridiculous. Tons of matches decided by penalties and penalties alone. Penalty management is a viable way to medal at Worlds now with 000/000 scores.

All of those 001/000 (which I think is the majority of them) scores are decided by penalty management and the player who's up a yuko eating as many shidos as they can before a DQ while running the clock out.

I'm not even going to get into the mutual failed throw where neither player should have been awarded and both been stood up. Instead someone randomly gets an ippon.

Completely ridiculous that you can medal at Worlds without a single waza-ari, much less an ippon.

These new rules are working out GREAT!

I've been trying to keep from being super-negative about the state of modern judo

You are doing a lousy job of that :D

Have watched a couple of matches now and and there have been some good throws but maybe i got lucky

And a nice seionage again in the finals by the man named qwak

haha, yeah. Soon as I posted, Kwak scored a solid a waza ari with a seoi-nage. Probably one of the best throws of the day.

I've been trying to keep from being super-negative about the state of modern judo but this shit is ridiculous. Tons of matches decided by penalties and penalties alone. Penalty management is a viable way to medal at Worlds now with 000/000 scores.

All of those 001/000 (which I think is the majority of them) scores are decided by penalty management and the player who's up a yuko eating as many shidos as they can before a DQ while running the clock out.

I'm not even going to get into the mutual failed throw where neither player should have been awarded and both been stood up. Instead someone randomly gets an ippon.

Completely ridiculous that you can medal at Worlds without a single waza-ari, much less an ippon.

It's been a long time since I followed Judo and I haven't watched much yet now either. But I was honestly scratching my head at how the scoring was managed. Good to see this is the reason.

Repechage and finals about to start soon.

Did all the F12 judoka drift away or something? You'd think there'd be enough to discuss the free live streamed World Championships, but I guess not.
Many judoka, including me, find watching live judo unedifying.

It's been a long time since I followed Judo and I haven't watched much yet now either. But I was honestly scratching my head at how the scoring was managed. Good to see this is the reason.

This is the first year in a while I've had the time and opportunity to sit and watch straight through.

I'm not going to get into it too much, but only in judo can you win matches exclusively with penalties/negative scores. Wrap your mind around that. =\

Many judoka, including me, find watching live judo unedifying.

I drifted away from the judo world a while ago and stopped actively posting here probably around the time you made this account.

The trouble with watching judo is that it's all really boring. Maybe one out of every five matches are worth watching and even then, it's a stretch.

This is the first year in a while I've had the time and opportunity to sit and watch straight through.

I'm not going to get into it too much, but only in judo can you win matches exclusively with penalties/negative scores. Wrap your mind around that. =\

I drifted away from the judo world a while ago and stopped actively posting here probably around the time you made this account.

The trouble with watching judo is that it's all really boring. Maybe one out of every five matches are worth watching and even then, it's a stretch.

Yeah, I noticed the sum of penalties and not much real points.

I drifted away from the Judo world before you made your account. :p Like 14 years ago.

I think only Ono is worth watching on the men's side. These days it doesn't seem like players have the big gun technique to watch for. Only Ono is going for the kill.

To be fair I didn't watch much of the World's, in big part due to time zone, but I watched a Mashu Baker match and it was pretty lame. I don't think he made any forward throw attempts, and won by two ouchi gari.

Need some real killers like Kosei Inoue again. Well, I guess Ono is mini-Kosei Inoue.

It is weird seeing Lee Won hee as a coach. That dudes tai otoshi was siiiiiick.

I think only Ono is worth watching on the men's side. These days it doesn't seem like players have the big gun technique to watch for. Only Ono is going for the kill.

To be fair I didn't watch much of the World's, in big part due to time zone, but I watched a Mashu Baker match and it was pretty lame. I don't think he made any forward throw attempts, and won by two ouchi gari.

Need some real killers like Kosei Inoue again. Well, I guess Ono is mini-Kosei Inoue.

One name Haga Ryunosuke (-100). He'll fight tomorrow.

Grappling in general is boring as shit. I honestly can't believe Metamoris has enough subscribers to warrant entire threads being made about how they're screwing their customers.

When I used to watch all of the free events the IJF puts on Youtube, I would skip around until I found a nice ippon or waza ari worthy technique. Watching those 4-6 hour videos straight through never crossed my mind once.

And all of this is coming from a guy who thinks judo is the most fun he's had in combat sports.

I love Judo, and I make a point of watching everything I can, but I can agree that it can get pretty boring. I let it play in the background and tune back in whenever I hear the announcers voice rise up.

I'm just now watching day one of Worlds, and a lot of the matches are pretty negative Judo. The last match I saw was a gold medal match between two Kazakh fighters, and it was a no score shido win. Seriously, you're performing on home turf, you're a guaranteed a medal and your country is guaranteed both a gold and a silver no matter the outcome. Just go for some big throws and put on a show!

I agree that Ono is the man to watch, lately.

The world's were broadcast when I was at work, so I wasn't able to watch. I'm not going to sit through hours of judo after the fact in the hopes of seeing something good. I'd rather just watch the matches where I know they were exciting, or catch the highlights later.

With that being said, Ono is great to watch. He's just been crushing people.

Back