1967 Muhammad Ali against Prime Lennox Lewis

I choose Ali to win.
As I young lad, I wasn't overly impressed with Lewis when he was becoming a contender. I remember him making hard work of Gary Mason, a plodding, very limited (though extremely powerful) boxer.
My memory also tells me that in their title fight with Bruno, big Frank was getting the better of Lewis until he gassed.
Ali wouldn't gas out.

I think Ali is the greater heavyweight of the two in the sense of what he accomplished, the heart he showed every time and his epic rivalry with Fraser and his legendary fight vs Foreman, he was also prettier to watch. As a boxing fan, watching him move was something else.

Lennox doesn’t compare, he didn’t have any realistic rivalries and the times he lost were because his fatass decided not to be serious for those fights. 100% motivated and in shape Lennox destroys everyone in his generation without that much trouble.

But that’s as far as their careers go. If they fought each other at their primes I think Lennox beats him and it’s not even that hard. Lennox at his best was a fucking monster

Lewis could box, he could fight, he could overcome adversity. He was also a very big man.

He was a smart fighter. A great fighter.

I honestly believe though young Cassius Clay at his best was something else.

He could be caught, but later in his career he showed how incredibly durable he was and he had an indomitable will to win.

Ali was no midget. He was 6,3 with a 78 inch reach. Despite the myths around the Foreman fight he muscled Foreman in the clinch.

I'd take Lewis on points over twelve rounds (maybe) but in a 15 rounder I think Ali could outlast Lennox.

I think Ali has more dog in him and he wasn't tested in his prime, Lewis could test him so it woud be very interesting.

At his very best, I honestly believe Ali was the best. I'm British and grew up watching Lewis btw.

Ali had intangibles you can't teach. Ali was never tested in his prime by a man the calibre of Lewis,, but Lewis never faced someone like prime Ali.

In my minds eye I just see Ali pulling out the win somehow. Not based on the myth but I think prime Lewis would really put prime Ali to the test and prime Ali would find a way to win imo.

So what opponent with that style did he fight that you can compare to Lewis?

You mean, big men with polished but predictable styles? Terell, Mathis, Liston, etc.

The point I'm making is that if you look at the guys who actually gave a prime Ali trouble, they were the exact opposite of Lewis.

Who did Lewis beat that was similar to Ali? The only fighter I can think of that even had a style similar to Ali was Byrd, and interestingly that was a fight that Lewis actively avoided.

You mean, big men with polished but predictable styles? Terell, Mathis, Liston, etc.

The point I'm making is that if you look at the guys who actually gave a prime Ali trouble, they were the exact opposite of Lewis.

Who did Lewis beat that was similar to Ali? The only fighter I can think of that even had a style similar to Ali was Byrd, and interestingly that was a fight that Lewis actively avoided.
They never fought anyone like each other. They're both ATGs and we're giving our opinions. I respect yours but mine is different. I don't think there's any way to settle it definitively comparing them to their opponents.

Last edited:
Ali
Strengths:
Endurance
Speed of hand and foot
Granite Chin
One of the greatest Ring generals ever; smartest.
sixties version was a great combo puncher
Will to match his wits
Weaknesses: (60's version)

Did not throw body punches
Circled to his left, which boxing trainers advise against
Could be hurt/knocked down by the left hook
Had trouble with lighter, quick men: Doug Jones,Henry Cooper,Sonny Banks
Only had real kayo power in his right cross.

Lewis Strengths:

Arguably greatest right cross in boxing history.
Great handspeed for a man his size.
Second in ring intelligence at HW to only Ali.
Handled kayo losses phenomenally well and beat both men in dominant fashion the next time.
Good power in either hand.
First giant heavyweight to achieve greatness.

Weaknesses:

Lack of focus in some very important matches.
Mediocre chin
Overconfidence
Poor footwork and agility.
Not the best jab, he, of course, thought it was great.

Of course Ali wins, most likely via decision and comes out without a scratch as usual.

Prime Lewis almost lost to an out of shape old Mercer, who a few years earlier was easily beaten by a 42 year old Larry Holmes. And Ali supporters are the ones being romantic? lol

Prime Lewis almost lost to an out of shape old Mercer, who a few years earlier was easily beaten by a 42 year old Larry Holmes. And Ali supporters are the ones being romantic? lol

No, the ones who apply unreasonable boxing math like you are being moronic.

Back