1917 was great but still room for a gritty WW1 movie

WW1 is very hard to follow politically thats why there are no films about it,

and yeah it was a lot more brutal than ww2

you literally went from charging enemy positions on horses to tanks in a few years

Yeah and armies that didnt know any better would show up with Napolean era armor and get fuckin massacred

I enjoyed 1917 a great deal. There's also a thin line where a movie is gritty, to where it's just gory and depressing with no end in sight.
Give me a good director and a remake or new adaptation of "All Quiet on the Western Front".
All Quiet is a great movie. a remake was/is still in pre-prod. It had Travis Fimmel attached. But now it seems Daniel Bruhl is involved instead.

I can recommend a few other movies if you're really into WWI:

Paths of glory is great, Journey's End is really good, the rest are decent flicks for WWI nuts.

I enjoyed 1917 a great deal. There's also a thin line where a movie is gritty, to where it's just gory and depressing with no end in sight.

All Quiet is a great movie. a remake was/is still in pre-prod. It had Travis Fimmel attached. But now it seems Daniel Bruhl is involved instead.

I can recommend a few other movies if you're really into WWI:

Paths of glory is great, Journey's End is really good, the rest are decent flicks for WWI nuts.

Passchendaele was fucking terrible. Leave it to a Canadian to soy up one of the nastiest battles in warfare history with a fucking love story.

Reactions: Zer

you literally went from charging enemy positions on horses to tanks in a few years
Gonna be a challenge for future directors to dramatize warfare in the early 21st century.

Even life inside a submarine is more exciting than this.

Honestly if they focused on the hell in the trenches, disease, fear, gas attacks, people developing shell shock ect. All with the occasional charge at enemy positions only to get mowed down by machine gun fire I think it could really work. Sometimes people need to see the dark and depressing side of war like Platoon for example.

The tactics of WW1 were just asinine. Armies had machine fire, explosives, and chemical weaponary, yet they chose to form lines and charge each other like it was the American Revolution.

Weapons advanced much faster than Millitary tactics I guess.

The tactics of WW1 were just asinine. Armies had machine fire, explosives, and chemical weaponary, yet they chose to form lines and charge each other like it was the American Revolution.

Weapons advanced much faster than Millitary tactics I guess.

Yeah it was brutal.

All offense, no defense.

Their idea of shoring up defense was to throw more bodies at the bullets.

Passchendaele was fucking terrible. Leave it to a Canadian to soy up one of the nastiest battles in warfare history with a fucking love story.
IllfatedSneakyFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

Like I said, a decent flick if you're looking for WWI action. Just skip the shit in the middle.

If you're like "fuck this soy bullshit", and you want the war, then:

Peter Jackson documentary about the war is a great watch. Narrated by the soldiers themselves (Using the old BBC archives). With the footage worked on by his team (cleaned, sharpened, fixed frame-rate.)
efb575e4da72b62baf39775555192986.gif

And I would be remise if I didn't mention the holy grail that is Dan Carlin:

IllfatedSneakyFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

Like I said, a decent flick if you're looking for WWI action. Just skip the shit in the middle.

If you're like "fuck this soy bullshit", and you want the war, then:

Peter Jackson documentary about the war is a great watch. Narrated by the soldiers themselves (Using the old BBC archives). With the footage worked on by his team (cleaned, sharpened, fixed frame-rate.)
efb575e4da72b62baf39775555192986.gif

And I would be remise if I didn't mention the holy grail that is Dan Carlin:

The love story aspect is basically 80% of the film. I'm just saying for one of history's greatest raw battles, that movie decided to make it a secondary focal point.

The remastered docs on WW1 and 2 are both incredibly done.

I would say 1917 was a good movie with GREAT cinematography and set design. The amount of man hours it must have took to get all that shit right had to be a bitch.

I'd like to see an HBO style series about WW1 in the trenches, following someone who gets transferred along the trench lines so we could see the different regions and how they fought in them.

And as always, would be nice to see a good long series about WW1 (and two) from the Russian perspective, which began a nightmare that hasn't really ended.

WW1 has some great movies but it never got its "Saving Private Ryan"

I'd say 1917 is the closest anyone has gone so far, but it's seems it's a really hard war to make great films about compared to ww2 or vietnam.

Another one that deserves a mention is Galipoli. Definitely worth a watch if people haven't seen it as it's a great movie, but definitely not a "Saving Private Ryan" as it's Australians invading Turkey, which isn't one of the campaigns most of us think of first when somebody says ww1.

The HBO series is definitely a good idea. Two of the defining characteristics of the war can't really be depicted in a 2-3 hour long movie. The rapid advancement of weapons and tactics across the whole 4 years, and the combination of bordom and terror the soldiers faced during months of stalemate on the front lines.

Back