15 World Powerlifting Records in the past 2 weeks!!!

nudge119

Green Belt
Reaction score
At least 15 - I've lost track.

The past two WPO events in Chicago and now Helsinki have been literally for the record books.

In my opinion - the most impressive feats have been.

1 - Oleksandr Kutcher totalled 2167 at 165 BW for the world record total (would have been a record at 181 too) over 13.13 times his bodyweight. 849/536/783 - world record squat and deadlift at 165.
He broke the record he set last week in Chicago with 2121. If you've seen his lifts - he moves the weight so quickly it's scary to think now much more he could possibly have left in him.

2 - Andy Bolton totalled 2722 lbs for a WPO record total and a the 2nd biggest total of all time. 1146 squat - 634 bench and a 942 deadlift for the temporary world record.
One can only speculate what he could have done in the dead if he had taken token openers like Benni did.

3 - Bennedikt Magnusson - World Record 970 lb deadlift after token 286 openers in the squat and bench. (Shows what an insane weekend it was in Helsinki when this is the 3rd most impressive feat.)

4 - Jeff Lewis squats 1202 lb for a new World Record last week in Chicago.

5 - Vitaliy Ponomarenko benched 783 at 220 lbs for a World Record in Helsinki

6 - Mike Wolfey benched 688 at 198 lbs for a World Record in Chicago

7 - Vladislav Alhazou squatted 1168 lbs in Helsinki for the 2nd highest squat ever.

There have also been 8 1100 lb squats in the last two weeks.

And you could make the argument that Becca Swanson world record total of 2050 last week in Chicago is the biggest accomplishment because she is so far ahead of her competitors. (no other women has broken 1600 yet) She set world records in the squat with 854, bench with 523 and deadlift with 672.

I had no idea the squat WR had been broken, seems like everyone is talking about Big Ben these days.

equipped or not, big DL's are cooler than suited squats anyday.

1 - Oleksandr Kutcher totalled 2167 at 165 BW for the world record total (would have been a record at 181 too) over 13.13 times his bodyweight. 849/536/783 - world record squat and deadlift at 165.
He broke the record he set last week in Chicago with 2121. If you've seen his lifts - he moves the weight so quickly it's scary to think now much more he could possibly have left in him.

I'm gonna have to google this dude...I'm truly impressed.

gruesome said:
equipped or not, big DL's are cooler than suited squats anyday.
Agreed, in fact dl is by far the coolest lift IMHO, something about the fact you've got to just pick up a large weight from the floor rather than taking something off a stand and then squatting/pressing it. Feels kinda more natural.

Nudge, any speculation why these records are tumbling?

I mean, this happened about 6 years ago in swimming. Just about every world record fell in the 2000 Olympic year (all but one individual record for men).

Now, the pool of talent was unsightly, don't get me wrong, but it was widely agreed the reason almost no WR's stood was the new full body suits and the pool in Sydney.

So what gives with the powerlifting? Has there just been an influx of talent into the sport, or do you suspect- and I know no one wants to take anything away from these guys- that designer steroids are becoming that much more potent?

What else could it be? That's such a simple answer, and I am ignorant.

Good ol gravity is just not as strong as when our grandfathers were kids.
Jokes aside that is some cool shit.

I can't even squat what they bench. It's amazing how even the little guys can lift amazing numbers.

Madmick said:
So what gives with the powerlifting? Has there just been an influx of talent into the sport, or do you suspect- and I know no one wants to take anything away from these guys- that designer steroids are becoming that much more potent?

What else could it be? That's such a simple answer, and I am ignorant.

Everytime when roids are all of the sudden used by an athlete with this "amazing record", I'm not impressed anymore. I wouldn't care if someone benched 1200 lbs. raw. and everyone knew he was on roids.

Back