15 days till jujitsu tournament: last minute conditioning

Jasonny5895

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I havent competed in a cpl of years, and last time I did it was in a muay thai fight. I train both thai and Bjj, and was offered to represent my gym in tournament at a local event in a cpl weeks. My cardio is pretty good, I train probably 3-4 times a week (2 thai, 2 bjj) usually.

I would like to up my cardio for last 14 days but want to avoid over training. I just found out an hr. ago about the fight. Its gonna be a four man tournament, 2 (4) min rounds, 2 fights if I win the first one. Ive been rolling for a cpl years, but have always put it second to thai boxing.

Any advice on what to add to training besides extra rolling, as far as running, sprints etc? How many days should I go before tapering off previous to match.

I know this is kind of small but I would like to put on a good show, and have some fun

In my experience, getting a good warmup and staying relaxed will help you much more than any "last minute conditioning."

Before you fight, make sure you get a nice sweat going, stretch a little, etc. Before the fight take a lot of nice deep breaths. Make sure you have a solid game plan and stick to it.

Oh yeah - have fun! You compete because you want to. If you arent enjoying yourself then dont bother.

In my experience, getting a good warmup and staying relaxed will help you much more than any "last minute conditioning."

Before you fight, make sure you get a nice sweat going, stretch a little, etc. Before the fight take a lot of nice deep breaths. Make sure you have a solid game plan and stick to it.

Oh yeah - have fun! You compete because you want to. If you arent enjoying yourself then dont bother.

Thanks alot for the honest insightful advise, I kind of figured that there really wasnt much I could do, but due to the fact that I used to be a college athlete (football) and understand what hard work is, and what it takes to be good, I am very hard on myself and wanted to know if their are any painful measures I can endure to enjoy the sweet feeling of just pushing the pace the whole fight. Im probably not as talented in BJJ, but my wrestling is strong and I always keep a good pace (tend to gas) so I feel my best shot of being successful is if I can out work my opponent, as the great Alexandr Karelin stated "I train every day of my life in a way you have never trained one day in yours". Basically If getting up early before work and sprinting for an hr. would help me, I would do it.

Overall I love this game, and am just glad to get in that ring in what ever capacity I can

Burpees
400s on track or measured
Live rolling when fatigued/multiple partners
You have a wrestling background, mimic your hs practices on your own time.

Who cares about having fun? Competition is about winning, or intense self-loathing. *humor, nah maybe not*

Burpees
400s on track or measured
Live rolling when fatigued/multiple partners
You have a wrestling background, mimic your hs practices on your own time.

Who cares about having fun? Competition is about winning, or intense self-loathing. *humor, nah maybe not*
Thanks, I used to do 400's when training for my thai fights in the past. Thats a good idea aswell going back to hs wrestling roots to look for condition. The only thing that makes it confusing is the lack of time, and not wanting to overtrain.

I will begin tommorow with a nice 3 mile run and try and sprint the straight aways and figure, this could be a bad start

You need to simulate tournament training. Since there are time limits, I am assuming points will be scored. You need to work on taking and holding position for points. Work on your stand-up if you aren't getting enough work in.

You need to get a good group of guys and a timer, and increase your intensity. You don't want to shoot your wad by stressing out, or an inability to handle an adrenaline dump. I'm not saying you can replicate the feel of a tournament, but it won't hurt.

Back