13-0 record Khamzat Chimaev or 2-1 record Brock Lesnar - Who deserved the title shot more?

Who deserved the title shot more?

• Total voters
That was kind of a different era when Brock got the title shot with just 1 top 10 win. As was mentioned, the HW division was pretty thin, and Brock was a very big name that brought in a whole new audience. UFC was still growing and it was more about the publicity I think. Did he deserve it? No, not really, but I guess it was understandable at the time.

I don't think Khamzat's situation is quite the same. The sport is now more mature, and it shouldn't be a popularity contest. There are guys that have been fighting in the 185 division that have earned the right to compete for the title, DDP obviously, and Khamzat has not. Even if he beats Usman, he still would not have beaten anybody ranked at MW.

You could have simplified the thread and just made the thread title "Do you hate Khamzat?"

You'd get the same stat results.

Bork Laser since he actually fought in the weight class against a ranked opponent.
Exactly. Former champ Mir and long-time Pride gatekeeper Herring both at HW >>>> mostly mid-level and below WWs and one elite WW who was once a LW. Khamzat's best wins aren't relevant to the Top 10 MW scene.

Plus Brock's best win wasn't KO'd in the 1st round against Dan Hooker! (This part was mostly a joke so don't get too trigggered!)

Last edited:
That was kind of a different era when Brock got the title shot with just 1 top 10 win. As was mentioned, the HW division was pretty thin, and Brock was a very big name that brought in a whole new audience. UFC was still growing and it was more about the publicity I think. Did he deserve it? No, not really, but I guess it was understandable at the time.

I don't think Khamzat's situation is quite the same. The sport is now more mature, and it shouldn't be a popularity contest. There are guys that have been fighting in the 185 division that have earned the right to compete for the title, DDP obviously, and Khamzat has not. Even if he beats Usman, he still would not have beaten anybody ranked at MW.
100% DDP should be next for the way he ran through Knuckles.

Reactions: mkt
You could have simplified the thread and just made the thread title "Do you hate Khamzat?"

You'd get the same stat results.
I like Khazmat as a fighter. Excited to see how he does against Marty. So stop projecting your emotions onto me please.

I like Khazmat as a fighter. Excited to see how he does against Marty. So stop projecting your emotions onto me please.
Nah you didn't understand what I said. I said the results of the poll are likely skewed based on the emotional perceptions of those responding. I didn't mention anything about you.

Nah you didn't understand what I said. I said the results of the poll are likely skewed based on the emotional perceptions of those responding. I didn't mention anything about you.
Then my sincere apology. I'm on the defense when it comes to Khazmat. I like him but I get a lot of heat if I criticize him or UFCs decision to speed run him to the belt.

Khamzat has beaten as many ranked MWs as I have. Beating welterweights to get a MW title shot is Grade A DFW military-grade fuckery.

Reactions: mkt
Brock of course when you going learn ....

c1d36843d7071047116a6890b390c4d7cee6212e.gifv

Brock had wrestling background ( college) and KEY here way more Eyes to table...

It is all about putting asses in seats. Brock has a much larger fan base but Borz has way more wins. It is important to stress that Borz isn’t fighting for a title yet and may not win next weekend.

i remember thinking at the time how ridiculous it was for lesnar to be getting a shot after exactly one win, and over a journeyman type fighter, and... i still feel like that to this day. the results after the fact don't matter, just cuz he did okay doesn't mean it wasn't lame. kinda the beginning of the end with the ufc's struggles with credibility, if you ask me.

Brock didn't deserve the shot, but most forgot about that after he won.

58% of the poll thinks beating Herring and Min Soo Kim > Usman (Costa replacement), Burns, Aliskerov, Holland, Leech
<TheWire1>

Last edited:
You can see all the Khamzat haters here. It's hilarious. Both guys deserved title shots because everyone wanted to see them tested and they made a big splash. Sorry there are some guys who get to skip the line when they are exciting.

Khamzat easily. Brock was fast tracked because of his immense popularity.

If everything turns out to plan for Chimaev and he beats Usman and than gets matched up to fight for the MW title. Out of Chimaev and Brock, who deserved the TS more?

Chimaev has beaten.

#1 WW - Usman
#4 WW - Gilbert Burns
#12 WW - Kevin Holland
Plus his record is 13-0

Brock has beaten

#10 HW - Heath Herring

Plus his record is 2-1

So who's more deserving for a TS?

khamzat-chimaev-brock-lesnar.jpg

Costa was giving a TS with 13-0

Back