• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

10-8?????

I thought it was a 10-9, but one of the sherdog pbp guys also had it 10-8, and it was the most dominant round, so it's not that crazy and didn't matter for the outcome anyway.

are we just being more generous in awarding 10-8 rounds, is that it? I really can't see why it shoud be 10-8 though. I don't think Round 1 should be 10-8 McGregor even though it was a masterclass in striking.

MMA should have a system similiar to boxing where there is a clear cut definition of what is and isn't 10-8, 10-7 because honestly they're too rare. In boxing a point is deducted for every knockdown. Now obviously that's not exactly feasible in MMA but something needs to be done.

And as for Connor never being in trouble, that's debatable. But what isn't debatable is that Diaz dominated the round. It was a clear 10-8

Boxing is not like this anymore, but yeah I agree a clear cut system is perhaps needed, if common sense cannot prevail.

Edit: lol I didn't read the last line of your post. Lol clear 10-8!!! How did Diaz "overwhelmingly dominate" the round, when McGregor is a power puncher and fight matrix had him losing slightly. Note: fight matrix seems biased towards punches that hit the opponent's gloves, I am dubious about the "significant strkes" and even with this McGregor is not being "overwhelmed". Some people even thought he won! It was barely 10-9!

Last edited:
"a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round."

McGregor clearly won many of the exchanges, he was also landing the cleaner strikes to the head while Diaz was hitting his guard or pressuring but missing. Overwhelmingly dominating? Give me a break... That 10-8 was meant to even the score cards.
shut the fuck up fan boy any more praise for him and ull choke on his cock

1-Conor 10-9
2-Conor 10-9
3-Nate 10-8
4-Draw 10-10
5-Nate 10-9

Nate Diaz got robbed as he said when Joe interviewed him the UFC and the MMA community can't have someone like him ruining their WWEesque plans for Conor.

Conor won the 1st 2 rounds both 10-9 then the 3rd round was at least 10-8 for Nate because of the running...if Conor didn't run to buy time then he would have been finished late in that round....good call by that one judge...but the 4th round was a draw 10-10 while Nate won the 5th round 10-9

Nate won 48-47

MMA should have a system similiar to boxing where there is a clear cut definition of what is and isn't 10-8, 10-7 because honestly they're too rare. In boxing a point is deducted for every knockdown. Now obviously that's not exactly feasible in MMA but something needs to be done.

And as for Connor never being in trouble, that's debatable. But what isn't debatable is that Diaz dominated the round. It was a clear 10-8

10-8 is Magny vs Lombard round 1...round 2 also the other way if it kept going that way and wasnt stopped.

Diaz did not have a 10-8 in round 3.

I think 10-8 rounds aren't handed out enough, and if this was an example of judges being more liberal with them I am fine. There have been MANY examples in a 3 rd fight where a guy wins the first 2 rounds than will coast in the third, if it took less to get a 10-8 round it would make the guys keep their foot on the gas and less guys would just be coasting to survive. Id be in favour of that personally.

I agree in principle, except fights are stll won on rounds, and a 10-8 should be something significant.

are we just being more generous in awarding 10-8 rounds, is that it? I really can't see why it shoud be 10-8 though. I don't think Round 1 should be 10-8 McGregor even though it was a masterclass in striking.
I'd have to watch it again, but I remember when I saw it thinking Conor was holding on for dear life for like a full minute to close the round. We now know Conor got a 2nd wind in the fourth, so it's possible he wasn't as wobbly or gassed as it seemed at the time.

Everyone saying that Diaz won need to ask yourself if you know more about MMA judging than a Big John who was in the cage with Conor and Nate that night. He scored it the same I did...Conor 1/2/4 with no 10-8s for anyone.

Bonus round:

Last edited:
1-Conor 10-9
2-Conor 10-9
3-Nate 10-8
4-Draw 10-10
5-Nate 10-9

Nate Diaz got robbed as he said when Joe interviewed him the UFC and the MMA community can't have someone like him ruining their WWEesque plans for Conor.

Conor won the 1st 2 rounds both 10-9 then the 3rd round was at least 10-8 for Nate because of the running...if Conor didn't run to buy time then he would have been finished late in that round....good call by that one judge...but the 4th round was a draw 10-10 while Nate won the 5th round 10-9

Nate won 48-47
I like Nate Diaz a lot, I would have loved if he wrecked the show by beating McGregor and shouted "stil not surprised motherfuckers" or similar, but McGregor clearly won the fight, watch it again without the commentary hype if you haven't. You think Round 3 was "at least" a 10-8, which means you think it could be a 10-7???? If so, do you know the definition of a 10-7 round?

I'd have to watch it again, but I remember when I saw it thinking Conor was holding on for dear life for like a full minute to close the round. We now know Conor got a 2nd wind in the fourth, so it's possible he wasn't as wobbly or gassed as it seemed at the time.

To me it seemed like he was surviving towards the end of the 3rd. He wasn't winning the round, but he wasn't in danger either, he could have stepped it up if he wanted, but he wouldn't have won the round so he didn't.

Are there any pro or amateur fighters who think that should have been a 10-8?

1-Conor 10-9
2-Conor 10-9
3-Nate 10-8
4-Draw 10-10
5-Nate 10-9

Nate won 48-47

wow not only does Nate Diaz get a 10-8 round 3, but he also manages to draw Round 4 in you world................. You realise, this is even worse than what I'm complaining about in this thread already. McGregor had the striking advantage in Round 4, while Round 5 was fairly even (control to Diaz) until the one takedown at the end where nothing happened: how can the first be 10-10 if the second is 10-9?

The judge was daydreaming of Paige Van Zaant in the third round.

Damaging to the sport ? The same judge gave Conor the forth so one going argue the other way. I thought the guy was a moron for calling it a 10-8 Rd but worse things have happened plus from my view the draw came down to round four nobody cares about round 3. If he had won the fight because a 10-8 3rd I could understand but that was not the case so round 3 who cares

Damn, I thought Conor clearly won the 4th.

wow not only does Nate Diaz get a 10-8 round 3, but he also manages to draw Round 4 in you world................. You realise, this is even worse than what I'm complaining about in this thread already. McGregor had the striking advantage in Round 4, while Round 5 was fairly even (control to Diaz) until the one takedown at the end where nothing happened: how can the first be 10-10 if the second is 10-9?

I think 10-10 rounds are the dumbest things ever.

Back