#1 Academy to become a pro bjj competitor

Depending on your weight AOJ or ATOS SD.

I train at Kron's and I love it. Kron teaches class every single night and twice a week in the mornings and spends time rolling with students and answering any questions we've got. I have yet to train the morning classes, but it's taught by James Driskill, who's a black belt under Kron and a VERY detailed and technical instructor. Whenever Kron's out of town teaching a seminar or competing, there are 2 guys who will usually fill in. One of them is Fernando Fayzano who's been a black belt under Rickson for ages. Probably since Kron was a baby. His classes are more focused on the self defense aspect of jiu jitsu, and he is an amazing teacher. The other one is Stefan Kocev who got his black belt under Kron several months ago. And of course, he's also an amazing instructor. Kron's also a black belt in Judo so we also learn a fair amount of Judo, which will definitely add to your arsenal. We're not a competition based gym such as Atos, but if you're a fan of Kron's aggressive, sub only mindset, you will thrive here. Rickson comes by every once in a while and it's always an out of the world experience sharing mats with him. A lot of big names also drop by to train. Great instructors, amazing training partners, and daily training with the man himself. It's Jiu Jitsu heaven.
http://www.krongraciejiujitsu.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kron-gracie-jiu-jitsu-culver-city

Last edited:
You're 19 and only a bluebelt? You started training when, as a 17 year old? I hate to join the chorus, but you're not going to make much as a competitor. There are many others with equal or better work ethic, equal or better talent, but are already years ahead in training than you, that are all already training 6x days a week, 2-3 times a day and they've started 4-5 years or more earlier than you. Time is just not on your side.

Now, if you just want to compete all the time and be the best you can be for you own personal happiness, go for it. Just don't expect to make a career out of it :-(

The difference between Pro and Amateur is Pro's get paid. There are quite a few tourneys at this point that pay so there are many competitors that would be considered Pro. Could they live off of that alone, probably not, but if they're successful in these tournaments they could attract sponsors. JT and Keenan have said they wouldn't be able to do what they're doing without their sponsors.

As you said, they could also release instructionals of some kind and do seminars in their off season. It wouldn't be a glamorious life but if you're following your passion, that has value.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

I wonder if the TS wants to be an elite competitor, or to make a living in BJJ with competition as an important part of it? Those are actually different career paths.

I would go for Alliance Atlanta, best cost of living and a proven system of creating American champions

Since the TS in only 19, I say go after your dreams and see what happens. If things don't work out you can always go back to school or get job and train bjj on the side.

Have you figured out how you would support yourself while pursuing becoming a "Professional"?

Just out of curiosity TS, how much training are you getting in a week? You have the most available free time now. Take advantage of it because as you get older the amount of free time you have will diminish.

By the way TS, when I was twenty I went for my dreams and moved to train with my dream coach. I quickly learned I was definitely never going to be a top competitor but I didn't lose out on anything in life for going for it. I also got my bachelor's degree at twenty, so I had a little bit more if a support net but my degree is pretty worthless so not much of one

You're 19 and only a bluebelt? You started training when, as a 17 year old? I hate to join the chorus, but you're not going to make much as a competitor. There are many others with equal or better work ethic, equal or better talent, but are already years ahead in training than you, that are all already training 6x days a week, 2-3 times a day and they've started 4-5 years or more earlier than you. Time is just not on your side.
Now, if you just want to compete all the time and be the best you can be for you own personal happiness, go for it. Just don't expect to make a career out of it :-(

Whats the point of doing anything if there's always someone better ? This type of mentality leads nowhere in life.

I train at Kron's and I love it. Kron teaches class every single night and twice a week in the mornings and spends time rolling with students and answering any questions we've got. I have yet to train the morning classes, but it's taught by James Driskill, who's a black belt under Kron and a VERY detailed and technical instructor. Whenever Kron's out of town teaching a seminar or competing, there are 2 guys who will usually fill in. One of them is Fernando Fayzano who's been a black belt under Rickson for ages. Probably since Kron was a baby. His classes are more focused on the self defense aspect of jiu jitsu, and he is an amazing teacher. The other one is Stefan Kocev who got his black belt under Kron several months ago. And of course, he's also an amazing instructor. Kron's also a black belt in Judo so we also learn a fair amount of Judo, which will definitely add to your arsenal. We're not a competition based gym such as Atos, but if you're a fan of Kron's aggressive, sub only mindset, you will thrive here. Rickson comes by every once in a while and it's always an out of the world experience sharing mats with him. A lot of big names also drop by to train. Great instructors, amazing training partners, and daily training with the man himself. It's Jiu Jitsu heaven.
http://www.krongraciejiujitsu.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kron-gracie-jiu-jitsu-culver-city

You rolled with Rickson ?

From what I've heard about the academies from people:

ATOS
AOJ
Caio Terra's in San Jose
Cobrinha/Alliance LA

Those are schools that I hear cater to guys who are serious mat rats. Many schools are only open for certain hours a day. I know at Cobrinhas they're pretty much open from 7am until 10pm. You can get your fill of classes and drilling time/positional sparring time. I'd imagine Atos and AOJ are the same. A have a friend at Caios and mentions they have a few mat rats so I would imagine they're open all day as well. I'd lean towards SoCal as previously mentioned because you have almost a tournament every weekend, the World and Pans -pretty much the biggest BJJ comps the world. The weather is nice, too.

Whats the point of doing anything if there's always someone better ? This type of mentality leads nowhere in life.

Someone better inspires you to do better and be the best you can be. But there's a difference between being inspired to do better personally vs thinking you can be a pro at it.

shut up you sound stupid. he's plenty young enough

What is the deal with some sherdoggers discouraged a young guy to chase after his dream? You don't even know him or what he is capable of.

I bet these sherdoggers are 40 year old blue belts envy of this young 19 year old blue belt

What is the deal with some sherdoggers discouraged a young guy to chase after his dream? You don't even know him or what he is capable of.

I bet these sherdoggers are 40 year old blue belts envy of this young 19 year old blue belt

My guess is not envy. I don't care what TS does as long as I am not expected to pay for the negative consequences of his failure. I think that is the crux.

Go to college and getting a degree in social work at Vanderbilt is just as stupid a decision (assuming you had to take loans out to do it). Then the complaints start on how student debt should be forgiven etc.....YOU SPENT 150k FOR A DEGREE THAT PAYS 26k per year.

My guess is not envy. I don't care what TS does as long as I am not expected to pay for the negative consequences of his failure. I think that is the crux.

Go to college and getting a degree in social work at Vanderbilt is just as stupid a decision (assuming you had to take loans out to do it). Then the complaints start on how student debt should be forgiven etc.....YOU SPENT 150k FOR A DEGREE THAT PAYS 26k per year.

So the TS should go get a degree in engineering or medical and then drop out on his second year?

A person who wants to make BJJ into a career needs to look for more than just good trainnig partners and excellent instruction (although those things are a must). He has to look for opportunities to learn the business.

Most of the professional BJJ competitors I know personally have some means of paying their expenses during their losing streaks or when they are injured. Owning and running a successful school, and putting on successful seminars, appear to be the most popular choices.

There's a massive difference, financially, between owning a successful school and working or teaching for somebody else who does.

To own a successful school (as opposed to a failing one), you need a good location, great teachers, and a business system of some kind. If you plug into a franchice such as a Nova Uniao or Gracie Barra affiliation, you get the business system as part of the deal. However, you need to know how to run every aspect of the business, from the front desk to the teaching to the bookkeeping. Generally, the pro competitor will team up with a financial backer (frequently one of his students or friends he's trained with and knows extremely well), and do the lion's share of the teaching while the other guy manages the books, keeps the lights on, and updates the Web site. That leaves the pro competitor free to travel and compete as needed, or to book seminars.

These last few years, our academy has spun off three healthy affiliates in other cities, each of which has a home-grown black belt as a chief instructor. At present we've got three career brown belts at our academy: guys who plan to make their living in BJJ. They're all teaching classes, or working the front desk, or taking accounting or other courses on the side. Eventually, we expect someone to snap them up as chief instructors for their own school, and when that happens they'll be fully qualified. Meanwhile the money most likely isn't fantastic, but the immersion in the industry is vital. One guy used scholarships to put himself through college while he trained. At this stage of their career, being in a school that allows them to have a taste of the business management experience is just as important as a school that provides good quality instruction.

Other people have proposed Alliance HQ, AoJJ, Atos, and various other schools, where the quality of instruction is clearly world class. It may be worthwhile to find out whether any of those schools have opportunities to teach, work the front desk, and learn the business.

So the TS should go get a degree in engineering or medical and then drop out on his second year?

I don't give a rats backside what TS does as long as he/she is willing to accept the consequences of the decision. Drop out, go in the military, chase the dream to be a bad mitten pro, live on moms couch, go to college, start a business, make bad loans, whatever. As long as TS is not asking me to support the lifestyle/risk choice.

I don't give a rats backside what TS does as long as he/she is willing to accept the consequences of the decision. Drop out, go in the military, chase the dream to be a bad mitten pro, live on moms couch, go to college, start a business, make bad loans, whatever. As long as TS is not asking me to support the lifestyle/risk choice.

The fuck? How is he going to ask you for support? Are you related to him?

And it's stupid analogy to say you spend 150k student loan for a useless liberal art degree and compare that to a "degree" in BJJ. Since when they give student loan to BJJ students?

There are a dozen of medal chasers at my academy. They get by from working at part time job for the academy or outside employment, and they also get financial support from their family.

Back