“This Is America”

Nobody needs to forget their family. Not you, not me, not black people. I don't forget about my parents and grandparents, and I would never demand that someone else does just because their black and it makes you uncomfortable.

Im not asking you to forget im asking you to put your fighting spirit into the now and not the past

You're not making any good points, you're just saying things that you are bitter and insecure about.

Nobody needs to forget their family. Not you, not me, not black people. I don't forget about my parents and grandparents, and I would never demand that someone else does just because their black and it makes you uncomfortable.

Yep, you carry that 1940s anger against a country 80 years later.

"Don't forget the past!!!!"

Are ya'll :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s still this angry at Germany in 2018? I mean don't forget the past right? They should be the most hated country on earth right now

What about the Japanese? They bombed us remember? Hold that anger

You say that, but when less people spoke out about it, racism was much more flagrant and violent

I saw donald trump get elected and I keep seeing police get away with it so I would argue that we are not having the success that we want to have on that front and may want to change tactics

Im not asking you to forget im asking you to put your fighting spirit into the now and not the past

What does this have to do with the music video? Who is showing fighting spirit against the past? You're not making any sense, you're just saying things that you think are off-topic enough to not be rebutted.

Didn´t know he was doing music aswell.

But after a promising first season of Atlanta and a mediocre German episode to go really low with Barbershop, I´m out.

Donald Glover had success with his weird, different way of telling a story. But it get tiresome when his own quirkiness gets in the way.

After watching the music video, i get the impression of a man that know the audience will think he has a very strange body. I would call it unfit with a lack of proper symmetri plus a to large skull. But, he knows this and is sending a signal that "look at me, I´m different and therefore I´m cool because I don´t give a damn". Trying to get approval points because of this is pretty low. And it really works, because i was fixated to the upperbody and how the trousers hated his legs and waist.

I saw the video. Honestly I don't think the hype is warranted.

My take, is that rap/hip-hop is held to much lower standards than all other music because a massive portion of it is just complete trash.

So this song comes out, and it isn't glorifying violence, drugs, mistreatment of women or about how much money they have (99% of rap lyrics). Now everyone calls it a masterpiece because it isn't completely ignorant.

But still, I don't see the hype. The lyrics are very basic and it doesn't seem very thoughtful.

But speaking of rap music, why is there no outrage from the left about the horrible messages that it promotes? Why hasn't the metoo movement gone after all the misogynistic rappers? Why haven't the gun grabbers gone after all the rappers that promote extreme gun violence? It just seems awfully hypocritical.

Didn´t know he was doing music aswell.

But after a promising first season of Atlanta and a mediocre German episode to go really low with Barbershop, I´m out.

Donald Glover had success with his weird, different way of telling a story. But it get tiresome when his own quirkiness gets in the way.

After watching the music video, i get the impression of a man that know the audience will think he has a very strange body. I would call it unfit with a lack of proper symmetri plus a to large skull. But, he knows this and is sending a signal that "look at me, I´m different and therefore I´m cool because I don´t give a damn". Trying to get approval points because of this is pretty low. And it really works, because i was fixated to the upperbody and how the trousers hated his legs and waist.
{<huh}

Yep, we gotta keep those black people angry and Anti-America about some shit they didn't live through against people who did nothing to them. How else are we going to keep them voting Democrat for decades with no results?

Lolwut? We have a holiday every year to remember Pearl Harbor. Does it make you angry at the Japanese? People can remember the struggles their ancestors faced without becoming Democrats, lol.

Last edited:

My take, is that rap/hip-hop is held to much lower standards than all other music because a massive portion of it is just complete trash.

So this song comes out, and it isn't glorifying violence, drugs, mistreatment of women or about how much money they have (99% of rap lyrics). Now everyone calls it a masterpiece because it isn't completely ignorant.

But still, I don't see the hype. The lyrics are very basic and it doesn't seem very thoughtful.

But speaking of rap music, why is there no outrage from the left about the horrible messages that it promotes? Why hasn't the metoo movement gone after all the misogynistic rappers? Why haven't the gun grabbers gone after all the rappers that promote extreme gun violence? It just seems awfully hypocritical.

That's because you probably don't know much about Childish Gambino's previous work or modern trends in rap music.

He's capable of way more lyrical work, but that's not the point. The point is the sound and the imagery, and the lyrics, while simple, still say a lot.

To me, this is a high art stab at modern trap/trap EDM that is prevalent in rap culture today.

The big take away from me is the contrast to the sounds and imagery before and after each gunshot. What's going on to the guns and the people, what everyone else is doing before and after the gunshots.

I saw donald trump get elected and I keep seeing police get away with it so I would argue that we are not having the success that we want to have on that front and may want to change tactics

Sounds like it might be the kind of thing that doesn't happen overnight

Why are you pretending that you listen to rap/hip hop?

I actually don't like this song, but lyrics don't make or break music. Do you shit on jazz and funk for having bad lyrics? Was Mozart a noted lyricist?

The song isn't being praised for it's lyrics.

That's a fair opinion. But I'm curious, what do you think the lyrics mean?

I think the entire point is that they are very simple, very sparse, but show contradictions and changes in tone. Along with the video, it's a pretty striking piece of art to a lot of people. I don't think they're wrong.

Most videos are shallow and meaningless. He created a 4 minute experience that people have been talking about and debating for weeks.

Yep, we gotta keep those black people angry and Anti-America about some shit they didn't live through against people who did nothing to them. How else are we going to keep them voting Democrat for decades with no results?
You act like Jim Crow happened 400 years ago. The Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964. That's 54 years. It's not long ago. And it was signed by Democrats.

Let me ask you a question: what have Republicans done, or even tried to do for black people in the last 54 years, that even mildly compares to civil rights?

Republican policies, such as mandatory minimum sentences and disproportionate sentencing for "black crimes" are partially to blame for black men having six times the incarceration rate as whites.

Not to mention the inner cities got flooded with crack under Ronald Regean's watch an in part due to the CIA's policies in Central and South America.

You're probably one of those Republicans who likes to tell Democrats to stop talking about civil rights but still mentions how Lincoln was a Republican.

Last edited:
Why are you pretending that you listen to rap/hip hop?

I actually don't like this song, but lyrics don't make or break music. Do you shit on jazz and funk for having bad lyrics? Was Mozart a noted lyricist?

The song isn't being praised for it's lyrics.

Trust me I've listened to a lot of rap music. For many years that's all I listened to. Mostly 90s east coast and 1988 or so golden era stuff. That stuff was good. I only know of the mainstream garbage of today.

Back