• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News ‘Jacare’ Souza Released From UFC Contract After Submission Loss at UFC 262

Pretty crappy to release him so quick but I guess it wouldn't do much good to keep him under contract. At least now he is free to negotiate.

Hate seeing the legends go out without any kind of farewell though. They put Jacare up against killers.

To me, Jacare was one of the most poorly handled fighters the UFC ever had. They got him at the tail end of his prime and they just let him sit around. It felt like after the SF acquisition, they could never consistently put fights in front of the guy.

He fought 6 times in his first 3 years, two of those against Chris fucking Camozzi when Jacare was easily a top 5 MW. And it had nothing to do with Jacare turning down fights. The UFC was literally just not signing him into top MW fights with any sort of consistency. When they occasionally did, he absolutely dominated. No one to this day spanked Mousasi the way Jacare did.

Feel bad for the guy. Hopefully (doubtfully) fans give him the respect he truly deserves.

I would have tried to force him into retirement instead of cutting him but if I were the UFC I wouldn't give him any more fights either. The guy is in his 40s and has been finished brutally twice in a row. He was arguably the greatest BJJ guy in MMA and he got subbed by an unheralded fighter. Time to call an end to this career.

I always enjoyed watching Jacare throughout his career. Hopefully he was paid well

Back