Law ‘Court packing’ ideas get attention from Democrats

The Judiciary Act of 1869 limits the number of SCOTUS justices to nine. FDR tried to do an end-run around this and failed, but he and his friends still managed to damage the constitutional order in many other ways.

He didn't fail. He ended up just getting his way and not needing to.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you guys clearly have lost it. I seriously wonder if Trump has you guys under some weird extremely low iq form of hypnosis

<5>
Guess what? The wall just got 10 feet higher dumbass!

He didn't fail. He ended up just getting his way and not needing to.
That's another way of looking at it, sure. Either way, that guy did more damage to the rule of law in the USA than anyone I'm aware of.

That's another way of looking at it, sure. Either way, that guy did more damage to the rule of law in the USA than anyone I'm aware of.

FDR was the closet thing we ever had to a king. If he really wanted to get it done he would have and they would have loved him for it still.

There is a national emergency at our border. Record number last month.

Why did her ignore it for 2 years when he had the votes to pass whatever funding he desired?

Ok, done de-railing the Dem's dangerous power grabs with Trump's moronic power moves

Given that that's exactly what FDR tried to do, isn't it interesting that many people (including in the WR) hold FDR up as a model president?

Since not alive during that time, many either don't know or have brushed aside the negative aspects of a presidency that was mostly a wild success.

I only learned that FDR got the new deal in place by threatening to pack all the courts on the fed circuits and Supreme if he didn't get his way two years ago. Definitely changes the outlook of it imo.

FDR was the closet thing we ever had to a king. If he really wanted to get it done he would have and they would have loved him for it still.
Not sure who 'they' is, but I think I pretty much agree with you here.

If your party dedicates itself to fucking with the courts, don't be surprised when there's a measured response. I wouldn't expect it to happen, though. The Democrats will not actually go far enough to counter the aggressiveness and the total disregard of good by Republicans, if the norm holds. And if it does happen, don't complain.

So fine when the democrates are in power add more judges then when the republicans get back in power we can add more. Maybe we can end up with one per state or two per state.

‘Court packing’ ideas get attention from Democrats
By Michael Scherer | March 11

R3BVLVRULUI6TL23WUNX74ZC5E.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...210e58a94cf_story.html?utm_term=.504df170fc06

I could get behind term limits, but that is a pretty disingenuous article. The left has always nominates judges that share the same liberal ideology (Keegan, Merric, etc.) and oppose conservative nominees regardless of their qualifications.

You're off your tree if you think theft of a SC seat is "not close" to court packing. But your attitude is very typical of the way mainstream Republicans have brushed off horrible behavior.

How is it theft? The left never voted on Bork.

Considering the Republicans refused to even give Garland a hearing and promised that if Hillary Clinton won the Presidency they would hold open that seat indefinitely, if the Democrats get control of the Senate don't expect that Trump or any Republican president will ever get the chance to fill a SC vacancy again.

Sauce on the Hillary comment

I may be wrong on this, but if a sitting president just up and decided to add 9 more seats to the court they are within their right to do so. All they need to do is nominate them, and have congress give the OK.

It would be a dangerous game to play however, because if the Democrats did go through with it you can be damn sure the Republicans would as well. Plus it would be the most transparent power grab possible, as everyone would know damn well why they were doing it.

FDR is actually threatened the SC with this when there was talk that they might invalidate portions of the New Deal so this isn't exactly a new strategy.

There's nothing in the Consitution that requires or even provides for the SCOTUS to exist in the first place so it's all on consitutionally shaky ground if you're a strict constructionist.

There's nothing in the Consitution that requires or even provides for the SCOTUS to exist in the first place

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.

---US Constitution, Article Three, Section One

Since not alive during that time, many either don't know or have brushed aside the negative aspects of a presidency that was mostly a wild success.

I only learned that FDR got the new deal in place by threatening to pack all the courts on the fed circuits and Supreme if he didn't get his way two years ago. Definitely changes the outlook of it imo.

People generally don't like to point out the questionable paragraphs in an overall good novel.

Incidentally, I absolutely love how the movie "Lincoln" hilariously pointed out all the blatantly illegal shenanigans that President Lincoln and his men pulled in order to secure enough votes for "The greatest measure of the nineteenth century. Passed by corruption, aided and abetted by the purest man in America."

Literally spew my drink at the bribery segment when Bilbo's offer for a cushy government job was calmly rebuffed with a pistol by none other than James Spader<45>

Last edited:
Back