Law ‘Court packing’ ideas get attention from Democrats

They thought the Supreme Court was awesome when they had the maximum advantage and it was making decisions they loved. But when there is even a hint that they might not get what they want then they want to rig the system in their favor.

My thoughts on court packing happen to mirror those of the President of Salty Fawlty

Also...regarding the Biden (and Chuck Schumer rule) ... a vacancy created in a presidential election year hasn't been filled since the 1800's

I also haven’t looked into it but how many justices had died unexpectedly in office, let alone on an election year?

You're off your tree if you think theft of a SC seat is "not close" to court packing. But your attitude is very typical of the way mainstream Republicans have brushed off horrible behavior.

It’s not theft. The Democrats didn’t have the votes. They had lost the senate.

I also haven’t looked into it but how many justices had died unexpectedly in office, let alone on an election year?

Mr. Lead.....do I look like Encyclopedia Britannica or something?

I just gave you the Biden (and Chuck Schumer) rule. They adamantly spoke out against nominating Supreme Court Justices in an election year. They made the rules. Let them live with them. Case closed

Please, Scalia died in Feb. What a crock of bullshit, but like I said, your attitude is very typical. Find a way to brush off horrible shit because you want it. Republicans saw a power grab, and took it. If Democrats punch back, tough shit Sally. But the truth is that the Democrats won't actually do this, and the funny part about that is you and others will LARP that they did, and keep acting like old Mitch and keep brushing off the next horrible thing.
truth is the democrats didn't want Garland and were so certain hillary was going to win they chose to wait until she was elected to get who they really wanted

they thought they stole a seat when he mysteriously passed, well that didn't play out how you all planed did it

This would be the kind of thing I'd hope would get conservatives marching in the streets in numbers like the liberals can get with their organized protests. Only this would be a very, very valid reason of marching. Not to wear pussy hats.

If the next dem president adds two Supreme Court seats, that would be calls to go full France and be ungovernable in the streets.
But not when seats are stolen. Just save it, dude. You're full of shit too.

Surely these morons realize that if they add justices, the next republican will simply add more.

<seedat>

truth is the democrats didn't want Garland and were so certain hillary was going to win they chose to wait until she was elected to get who they really wanted

they thought they stole a seat when he mysteriously passed, well that didn't play out how you all planed did it

Mysteriously passed? He was 79 and in poor health.

Mysteriously passed? He was 79 and in poor health.

ie, murdered by Hillary Clinton.

everyone who read the podesta leaked emails on wikileaks knows the truth

The Republicans blocked a hearing on Garland and stated point blank before the election that if Hillary won they were going to hold the seat open indefinitely.

Once Ruth is found out to be playing weekend at Bernie’s I can only imagine the outrage

Trump should just call their bluff and offer to add two more seats while he and the Republicans own the Senate; he could say he wants to be bipartisan and listen to his Democrat counterparts. Then the Democrats would have to propose a comical amount to try to pack it.

Considering the Republicans refused to even give Garland a hearing and promised that if Hillary Clinton won the Presidency they would hold open that seat indefinitely, if the Democrats get control of the Senate don't expect that Trump or any Republican president will ever get the chance to fill a SC vacancy again.

But not when seats are stolen. Just save it, dude. You're full of shit too.

The Garland stuff was bullshit. You'll not find one post from me supporting it. Many times I said this is BS, and this will 100% come back to bite the repubs. I was actually surprised a federal court didn't mandate that at least a hearing must be held.

If RBG passes away, especially in late 2019 or into 2020, Dems are perfectly justified in doing whatever dirty trick in the book necessary to not let that seat get filled til after the election. I would supprt it even if it's something equally as stupid as a vauge word of mouth allegetion of a highschooler not being an upstanding citizen.

However, I do not think a correct response is to add seats to the Supreme Court and pack it. That is going far too far, and begins to look a lot like authoritarian from the executive branch using its powers to overrule one of the 3 branches it's specifically not supposed to overrule. The judicial branch will be what stops Trump's over each of a national emergency because he couldn't get the budget he wanted (congresses job). Court packing the judicial branch would fully result in a court that is nothing more than a lapdog to the executive branch.

The Trump Presidency has obliterated pretty much every political norm that has existed and you right wingers don't seem to mind.
I voted for Trump because he openly mocks everything you hold dear. Procedurally he's done things completely by the book. Understand the difference dumdum?

Procedurally he's done things completely by the book.

You really gonna try that line? He literally just declared a national emergency because congress wouldn't approve his budget

That's about as far from the book it gets until you hit court packing

I voted for Trump because he openly mocks everything you hold dear. Procedurally he's done things completely by the book. Understand the difference dumdum?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you guys clearly have lost it. I seriously wonder if Trump has you guys under some weird extremely low iq form of hypnosis

Court packing the judicial branch would fully result in a court that is nothing more than a lapdog to the executive branch.

Given that that's exactly what FDR tried to do, isn't it interesting that many people (including in the WR) hold FDR up as a model president?

You really gonna try that line? He literally just declared a national emergency because congress wouldn't approve his budget

There is a national emergency at our border. Record number last month.

This is a bad argument. The NEA fully authorizes Trump to declare a national emergency. If Congress is unhappy with it, then Congress can terminate the national emergency with a joint resolution.

Back