Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

gif-octopus-clam.gif

Soon

Looks alot like a Clouded Monitor Lizard instead of a Komodo.
Young Komodos have patterns and as they age they start to resemble the adults more. She won't even be sexually mature until 9yo.

Thanks ZooKeeper Gabe! I love Zoos and animals, your posts are really informing!

I spent about 20hours in the car the past two days going to WV and back to get our new dragon. The drive back was great (she was incredibly calm) , I was sweating my ass off because we had to keep the car so fucking hot.

As soon as I can I'll post pictures but that won't be until the zoo does officially.

I was Halibut fishing at 200' deep and felt a snag. I reeled up, and found my hook caught the handle of a 5 gallon bucket, and there was a Giant Pacific Octopus inside. Rode all the way up, and gave me a dirty look once in the boat. I was nice though and didn't eat him. Threw him back in, and he sprayed ink all over the boat, but I kept his bucket for inking me.

Ponder on this video and thought it was kind of funny. I expected them to make a better work of the watermelon given.

I'm sure I posted this in the old thread, but looks like it got lost in the forum migration.

I revisit this 12 second clip every now and then, as it's one of my favourite sounds.

And I was reminded of that after checking out howler monkeys.

I'm sure I posted this in the old thread, but looks like it got lost in the forum migration.

I revisit this 12 second clip every now and then, as it's one of my favourite sounds.

I can totally imagine a dinosaur making that kind of noise, since they are also archosaurs.

Maybe much deeper and more intense due to their larger throat and chest cavities. I wonder if the bigger theropods could use infra sound to startle and intimidate each other and their prey.

The classic T. rex and triceratops face off could have the predator rumbling like crazy to disorient and scare the plant eater into turning and exposing its vulnerable back side.

lfn-oto2-510x398.png

It's been shown to unintentionally cause weird physiological reactions and they've even developed weapons on the concept.

Ponder on this video and thought it was kind of funny. I expected them to make a better work of the watermelon given.

lol @ the baby one.

Last edited:
@jefferz shes doing great, still in quarantine. I'm hoping to get some time to visit her on Friday.

Interesting theory about the infrasound, my take on that would be I doubt it. Mainly because their prey was so large as well the sound wouldn't effect them as much. They may have use sound to attempt to scare them into breaking a defensive position.

I can't understand what he is saying, can you?

This is really fucking sad, Knoxville Zoo lost a bunch of reptiles over night. Some sort of environmental issue must have caused it

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...iles-dead-after-event-zoo-knoxville/99618446/

Did they ever figure out the cause?

I've got bald eagles in the yard! I haven't been able to get pictures yet but they've been hanging around for about a week. I went for a drive tonight and counted 21 in a 3x3 mile square. I don't know why they suddenly showed up in the area but it's really cool.

Back