Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

0WvWNQJ.jpg

is this a new fad?

It's a giant african land snail and illegal to own, they're in florida as an invasive species. They'll eat the stucco off a house.
Most carry a parasite also. I wouldn't handle one

Update on my slider

It's a yellow eared slider, not red as told before.

The mean fucker is getting huge and reckless, in the past you couldn't as much as spot it taking the sun before it took a dive, now it even straightens it's neck and only jumps when you go near it.

I'm enjoying my dinosaur

Update on my slider

It's a yellow eared slider, not red as told before.

The mean fucker is getting huge and reckless, in the past you couldn't as much as spot it taking the sun before it took a dive, now it even straightens it's neck and only jumps when you go near it.

I'm enjoying my dinosaur
Have any pictures? Aquatic turtles can be really cop if you're willing to put in the work. I always recommend ppl pick up some ghost shrimp (most pet stores sell them). they make a great snack for turtles and they will help clean the tank a bit.

It's a giant african land snail and illegal to own, they're in florida as an invasive species. They'll eat the stucco off a house.
Wood not bang that slimy chick either.

I can't understand what he is saying, can you?

Unfortunately no as well. I'm presuming he is explaining how wide they can open their mouth and the pressure of their bite force via showing that the watermelons being crashed so easily.

I don't like how he handled what I'm presuming to be his pet. Extremely cool spider though.

Last edited:
I have a few friends that have whips in their collections and they are really cool animals. This one is clearly being annoyed for dramatic effect, they are totally harmless to people.

For the most part they make terrible fucking pets, way way way too many of them end up being neglected and dumped at sanctuaries. My first job was at a big cat sanctuary and we were constantly getting phone calls for people that didn't want/couldn't handle (insert species of exotic cat here) any more and it's fucking depressing as shit. The overwhelming majority of people can not handle them as a pet whether it's the diet/veterinary/enrichment/behavior. Don't do it, don't support it, that includes savannah cats too. Way too many of those animals end up getting euthanized because people can't take care of them and shelters have trouble placing them.
If you want something more unique than just a normal tabby, look into Maine Coons/Norwegian forest cats, or a bengal. There plenty of interesting breeds out there, look into breed specific rescues etc.

My wife is the chair of biology and chemistry at a local university. They recruited an administrator from a nearby animal sanctuary to come and teach at the college. The ulterior motive was that they wanted his help putting together a zoo science major that trains people to work in zoos.

He now works at a local zoo and teaches part time. But he's our in for animal encounters. For Father's Day last year, my wife scored me an encounter with a serval kitten. She was so cute, but not overly interested in me, though she licked my bald head. He fosters her at night. We would be in on that too, but we have cats, and he thinks it might cause issues.

So, instead, we foster a two toed sloth 2-3 days a week. She is my movie buddy and watched rogue one with me Friday night, though her movie night was cut short because it was Day 7 of her poop schedule and I felt her arching into me and I thought she would explode. Damn, they are so cute. I pick her up in the police cruiser, and I am pretty sure that makes me the only sloth unit in the world, though she sucks at tracking suspects and takes a week to do a vehicle sniff.

My wife is the chair of biology and chemistry at a local university. They recruited an administrator from a nearby animal sanctuary to come and teach at the college. The ulterior motive was that they wanted his help putting together a zoo science major that trains people to work in zoos.

He now works at a local zoo and teaches part time. But he's our in for animal encounters. For Father's Day last year, my wife scored me an encounter with a serval kitten. She was so cute, but not overly interested in me, though she licked my bald head. He fosters her at night. We would be in on that too, but we have cats, and he thinks it might cause issues.

So, instead, we foster a two toed sloth 2-3 days a week. She is my movie buddy and watched rogue one with me Friday night, though her movie night was cut short because it was Day 7 of her poop schedule and I felt her arching into me and I thought she would explode. Damn, they are so cute. I pick her up in the police cruiser, and I am pretty sure that makes me the only sloth unit in the world, though she sucks at tracking suspects and takes a week to do a vehicle sniff.
jelly af

i shared an in-n-out burger with my basset hound...

It looks like a rabbit

As far as snails go, this one looks like you could almost make a pet out of it.

That's awesome, can only imagine having a sloth in a cruiser. Lol

Gabe, I want to foster a tree roo. Make it happen.

I can totally imagine a dinosaur making that kind of noise, since they are also archosaurs.

Maybe much deeper and more intense due to their larger throat and chest cavities. I wonder if the bigger theropods could use infra sound to startle and intimidate each other and their prey.

The classic T. rex and triceratops face off could have the predator rumbling like crazy to disorient and scare the plant eater into turning and exposing its vulnerable back side.

lfn-oto2-510x398.png

It's been shown to unintentionally cause weird physiological reactions and they've even developed weapons on the concept.

Post reminded me of this article and video I watched a while ago. It's about research on the paralyzing effects of a Tiger's roar. Might find it interesting.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001201152406.htm

The Secret Of A Tiger's Roar

Researchers may have found the key to the intimidating and paralyzing affect that a tiger's roar has on animals, including humans. New research by bioacousticians shows that very low frequency sounds may be the key.

That's awesome, can only imagine having a sloth in a cruiser. Lol

Well, it is a quick drive. We have people contacting us and saying "I hear you are the man to see about a sloth".

We had friends bringing over their family members for Christmas presents-to hold a baby sloth

Back