"You're not the real champ until you defend your title"

I mean, if you win the belt against the best fighter in the division, fluke or not, you're the champion. You've accomplished something a small percentage of fighters ever will, and nobody can take that away from you. That being said, there are Champions, and there are Defending Champions, and being a Defending Champion is far more impressive.

Actually I believe in the UFC you don't get to keep a belt unless you defend it. After that you get to keep one for every defense you make, I think Rampage talked about it in an interview.

So in short no you're not really a champ unless you defend once.

Conor's the champ.. fluke punch or not, whether he has defended or not... Aldo is the greatest FW of all time, one of the best P4P fighters ever, and yes, he got caught. Aldo was so gotten to befor that fight started, he was reckless and made a mistake.

I want to see those two dance again, and it very likely could be a different story. I also feel Frankie is a stylistic nightmare for Conor. But let's not try and marginalize what Conor did when he starched Jose in the first exchange, he beat one of the finest fighters of all time in a matter of seconds.

But I think what is apparent now is that Conor is not nearly as effective when he doesn't have a size advantage over his opponent. At 145, he is a beast, but it takes a lot to get down to the FW limit and it is only going to get more and more difficult. Against a 155lb fighter like Diaz (albeit fighting @ 170) he was not able to dominate his opponent. The question wll be if Conor can continue to safely make 145, and for how long? It will be interesting to see what he performs like @ 145 next time, will there be a performance drop-off due to his weight gains? But until that time, he is the champ @ 145. If he loses the next one, he will be the former champ, but no one can re-write the history books and try and take away what he accomplished last December.

This is beyond stupid logic.
So if the Penguins win the Stanley cup this year they're not the champs until next year when they defend it?
Conor KO'd the champ, he is the FW champion.

Team sports are completely different.

They play out over a longer period of time and there are countless variables. Teams don't fluke their way to the superbowl or the Stanley Cup.

Ok so golf and tennis aren't team sports. Same rule applies. You can fluke a major just like you can fluke a world title win.

That`s such a stupid statement, yes you are the real champ, what you don`t have is a legacy as champion, but you are the true champ until you lose the belt, Holly Holm from November to March was the real champ, she doesn`t have a legacy though (she will).

Nobody believes that was a lucky punch. How can it be lucky, when it was predicted. Conor said, he will not last 1 round. even predicted how the fight would end. How is that lucky. It was a perfectly timed counter. Not some haymaker.

And just cause conor moves up in weight and fights at 23lbs heaver than all of his ufc fights, does not make him any less of a threat at 145lbs. He would beat aldo again, just as easy.

I consider the win legit.

I consider him a fluke champ. Still the champ, though.

He needs to defend.

If you win the belt, you are the champ. But if you never defend, in terms of legacy, I think being the champ doesn't hold as much weight. Serra, Shogun and many others were champs, but they aren't regarded the same as Anderson, GSP, BJ, Aldo, Jones etc.

Mcgergor is all hype, and he is a paper champion, his win against aldo is one of sports biggest flukes ever, he beat fu***ing siver to get a title shot
he didnt fight 7 of the top 10 guys in his division, and one of the 3 he did fight (mendes) came to this fight without a camp. and to those saying his win over aldo is not a fluke because he predicted that, well he also
predicted a first round finish of diaz ,how did that turned out.
but he is fun to watch ill give him that.

So if the Penguins win the Stanley cup this year they're not the champs until next year when they defend it?

Comparing apples and oranges much?

For starters champs should be defending 2 or 3 times a year?

Outta this thread. It just got 'Connnerstupied'

Team sports are completely different.

They play out over a longer period of time and there are countless variables. Teams don't fluke their way to the superbowl or the Stanley Cup.

How about someone winning an Olympic gold medal in an individual sport. Are they not really Olympic champions until they defend?

It's the dumbest thing I always hear. So if a team win the world cup or champions league they aren't champions until they defend it? No. You've never heard that term in any sport bar fighting because it is stupid.

A sport team isn't going to end the game early by scoring an unexpected point, you imbecile.

Comparing apples and oranges much?

For starters champs should be defending 2 or 3 times a year?

Outta this thread. It just got 'Connnerstupied'
Not really. How long has Conor had the belt? Not that long.

It hasn't been a year yet, so that could very well happen.

But this guy is trying to make it seem like Conor is a fluke champion when that is just not the case. He put Jose away with ease.

This has been the prevailing wisdom in combat sports long before we were even born. The reason for this maxim has always been to acknowledge that there are occassions when a challenger beats a champion and it's a fluke. A rare once in a hundred occurrence. Thus the new title holder was not considered a "real champion" until he faced a legitimate contender and defended his belt.

This is why many belive that the belt handed out after Aldo/Edgar at UFC 200 is more legitimate than Conor's fluke win/never defended title.

Your thoughts?
Translation, "I hate Conor McGregor".

That's a best of 7 series for the cup you fool. Not to mention the series wins to make it there and the regular season wins a team has achieve to even make the playoffs.

#dumb

A flash KO tells us very little.

I think Aldo would decisively beat McGregor in the rematch.

I agree with you. I think Aldo wins the rematch. Conor literally beat Aldo to the punch, Aldo was a split second away from landing his left hook on Conor.

A flash KO tells us very little.

I think Aldo would decisively beat McGregor in the rematch.
Based on what exactly, he was doing so well in their last encounter up until the 13 second?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back