"You're not the real champ until you defend your title"

I haven't seen anybody say that the interim title is the legitimate one, as long as you're the lineal champ it doesn't matter if you successfully defend your belt or not, you're the champ and there's no way to dispute it.

It's the dumbest thing I always hear. So if a team win the world cup or champions league they aren't champions until they defend it? No. You've never heard that term in any sport bar fighting because it is stupid.

Team sports are completely different.

They play out over a longer period of time and there are countless variables. Teams don't fluke their way to the superbowl or the Stanley Cup.

Nobody believes that was a lucky punch. How can it be lucky, when it was predicted. Conor said, he will not last 1 round. even predicted how the fight would end. How is that lucky. It was a perfectly timed counter. Not some haymaker.

And just cause conor moves up in weight and fights at 23lbs heaver than all of his ufc fights, does not make him any less of a threat at 145lbs. He would beat aldo again, just as easy.

It's considered "lucky" when the likelihood of it ever happening that way a again is pretty much nonexistent.

conors a champ.. just not a good one.. not a reigning one..

Easily the #1 worst saying in all of sports. Guy beats the very best guy and somehow he has to justify the victory by beating a lesser opponent than the former champion. Bullshit.

It was a fluke KO. Aldo destroys Greg in a rematch

If you beat the champ, then you're the champ. It's as simple as that.
What kind of champ you are will depend on your defenses, but saying that one is not a champ until theyve had "x amount of defenses" is retarded. If I cut off the king's head then I'm the new king.

Easily the #1 worst saying in all of sports. Guy beats the very best guy and somehow he has to justify the victory by beating a lesser opponent than the former champion. Bullshit.

Flukes happen.

Real fight fans want proof it wasn't a fluke before they start proclaiming some one punch wonder the goat.

It was a fluke KO. Aldo destroys Greg in a rematch

If you've ever put a pair of gloves on you'd know there is no such thing as a lucky punch. José came in, Conor stepped aside and put José in a deep sleep.

I fixed my mistake almost immediately ya little typo nazi :|

Yeah, it was a cheap shot.

But I'm actually serious: the concept of someone not being a real champ untill he/she defends the title is stupid. Once you win the belt, you're the real champ. You become a better champ by defending your belt, not a "more real" champ, just as you, by losing your belt, shouldn't be discredited as not having been the "real champ".

tumblr_lnub84nps91qcnasco1_500.gif
bringing harry potter and MMA together, my list of life goals is now complete.

Flukes happen.

Real fight fans want proof it wasn't a fluke before they start proclaiming some one punch wonder the goat.

Real fight fans know when a champ was beaten. No such thing as a fluke unless it's Anderson snapping his leg in half.

This has been the prevailing wisdom in combat sports long before we were even born. The reason for this maxim has always been to acknowledge that there are occassions when a challenger beats a champion and it's a fluke. A rare once in a hundred occurrence. Thus the new title holder was not considered a "real champion" until he faced a legitimate contender and defended his belt.

This is why many belive that the belt handed out after Aldo/Edgar at UFC 200 is more legitimate than Conor's fluke win/never defended title.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't call Conor's win a fluke, I mean, he meant to punch Aldo in the face and he did, and the result was a KO.

But I agree, it's a flash KO not 15 seconds into the round, it really doesn't tell us a damn thing about how the fight would play out had both fighters established distance. I also think Aldo has a better chance in the rematch, and i probably favour him again, having seen McDicks lose the way he did, it must have done something to restore his shattered confidence from the mind games

If Conor never comes back to 145 it would be the case but his win over Aldo is legit and not a fluke, imo.
His win is legit but to think it would be the same outcome every fight like some of his die hards act like is absurd.

If you've ever put a pair of gloves on you'd know there is no such thing as a lucky punch. José came in, Conor stepped aside and put José in a deep sleep.
Not only that, Conor predicted exactly what Jose did, and could be seen practicing that exact same combination in the training room. Hard to call that a fluke.

We've already defined what the term "lucky" man's in this context.

Try to keep up there stud ;)

I'm not even one of those rabid McGregor fans but to call his win over Aldo a fluke is really just pathetic.

His win is legit but to think it would be the same outcome every fight like some of his die hards act like is absurd.
Yeah no two fights are the same but I dislike calling a finish a fluke. Punch someone in the face and they go out is clearly intentional.

Back