"You're not the real champ until you defend your title"

DwayneUSA

USA! USA! USA!
Banned
Reaction score
This has been the prevailing wisdom in combat sports long before we were even born. The reason for this maxim has always been to acknowledge that there are occassions when a challenger beats a champion and it's a fluke. A rare once in a hundred occurrence. Thus the new title holder was not considered a "real champion" until he faced a legitimate contender and defended his belt.

This is why many belive that the belt handed out after Aldo/Edgar at UFC 200 is more legitimate than Conor's fluke win/never defended title.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
If Conor never comes back to 145 it would be the case but his win over Aldo is legit and not a fluke, imo.

tumblr_lnub84nps91qcnasco1_500.gif

Have somewhat of a point......Buster Douglas beat the best but, lost the belt the next fight to Holyfield so, did anyone really recognize Buster as the champ?

This has been the prevailing wisdom in combat sports long before most of us were even born. The reason for this maxim has always been to acknowledge that there are occassions when a challenger beats a champion and it's a fluke. A rare once in a hundred occurrence. Thus the new title holder was not considered a "real champion" until he faced a legitimate contender and defended his belt.

This is why many belive that the belt handed out after Aldo/Edgar at UFC 200 is more legitimate than Conor's fluke win/never defended title.

You're thoughts?

Yes, i'm thoughts:

That particular champ was the real champ, and then he wasn't.

A flash KO tells us very little.

I think Aldo would decisively beat McGregor in the rematch.

Yup you need to defend the belt or you have no legacy as a champion.

beats longtime champ in a one punch ko many experts may consider lucky, moves away from the division.
if that's not the definition of a fluke champ i don't know what it is.

It's the dumbest thing I always hear. So if a team win the world cup or champions league they aren't champions until they defend it? No. You've never heard that term in any sport bar fighting because it is stupid.

beats longtime champ in a one punch ko many experts may consider lucky, moves away from the division.

I really doubt that.

Nobody really remembers the guy who never defended his belt. Well, at least not as a proper "champ".

conor is a bit too caught up in his own hype thinking the higher weight division is easy money. He should defend his title a few times, which I absolutely think he can. Edgar and aldo rematch wins would solidify his standing a bit.

nah. I'm not a big fan of Matt Hughes school of thought.

Thats more of a legacy thing. The champ is the guy who beat the champ before him. Then he's the champ until the next guy takes his belt and so on.

Do you consider Matt Serra a former champ?

I do.

Nobody believes that was a lucky punch. How can it be lucky, when it was predicted. Conor said, he will not last 1 round. even predicted how the fight would end. How is that lucky. It was a perfectly timed counter. Not some haymaker.

And just cause conor moves up in weight and fights at 23lbs heaver than all of his ufc fights, does not make him any less of a threat at 145lbs. He would beat aldo again, just as easy.

Back