• Leslie Nielsen

• Chevy Chase

• Bill Murray

• Rodney Dangerfield

• Christopher Lloyd

• Richard Pryor

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bill Murray was the first name that popped into my head, but then I click the thread and see the name Leslie Nielsen, and in terms of pure comedy acting, he steals it by a hair for me.

John Candy also brilliant. Hell, when you look at that list of names, you realize just how little we have in that department today. Modern comedy actors have fuck-all on them. And that's not a subjective opinion, or some nostalgia; that's a goddamn fact. That era was filled with heavyweights.

Leslie (I've met him several times) used to be a serious actor (Forbidden Planet) and has said that he always felt weird acting serious. Super nice guy and could make you laugh with 2 syllables.

And very well said re; the comedic talent of that era. Bonafide legends.

While we're on the subject, what the hell happened to Martin Short's career? He seemed to fall off faster and harder than everyone else on the list.

Looking at his IMDB page I can see that he's stayed busy, but I haven't heard his name in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're on the subject, what the hell happened to Martin Short's career? He seemed to fall off faster and harder than everyone else on the list.

Looking at his Wikipedia I can see that he's stayed busy, but I haven't heard his name in years.
Martin Short's humor is a lot like Robin Williams (obviously not on that level), he's more improvisational. Not too many vehicles for him.

Last edited:
How in the hell am I supposed to choose just one from that group? I could maybe narrow it to five. But even that signs be difficult.

What about Booger from Revenge of the Nerds.

I will second this!

Curtis Armstrong needs some love.

Charles De Mar in Better Off Dead
Booger Dawson in Revenge of The Nerds.

two best comedies of the 80's.

add in One Crazy Summer, Risky Business and Moonlighting......better list of work than some of the people in the poll.

For me, it's a shoot-out between Bill Murray (Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters) and Eddie Murphy (Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop, and the funniest movie ever made, Coming to America.)

Personally, I'm going to rep a guy who I think just doesn't get his due these days. I always loved Steve Martin back in the day and appreciate his ability to play both the goofy, over the top guy (like in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) as well as something more akin to the straight man (like in Planes, Trains and Automobiles).

His last starring role was in 2011's The Big Year, a film that I didn't think was great, but it was charming enough and deserved to make more than the $7 million it took in at the box office.

father-of-the-bride-steve-martin-GC.jpg

The man also plays a mean banjo:

Props on the Steve nod. I like to lump him with Billy Crystal and Robert Townsend as all three were immensely talented and, upon achieving a level of success that they were comfortable with, concentrated on projects with which they felt a personal connection and could control to a greater degree.

Props on the Steve nod. I like to lump him with Billy Crystal and Robert Townsend as all three were immensely talented and, upon achieving a level of success that they were comfortable with, concentrated on projects with which they felt a personal connection and could control to a greater degree.

Elaborate. What projects were these for Martin and Crystal?

I voted for Bill Murray but Candy, Murphy and Pryor were all great too. Can't forget Martin. I love this movie.

Went with Chevy Chase.

This was not an easy choice...........and I wouldn't be surprised if I got it wrong. :)

Now I have to go back and watch every one of these men's 80's flicks to make sure. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.;)

1. Murphy
2. Murray
3. Candy

Leslie (I've met him several times) used to be a serious actor (Forbidden Planet) and has said that he always felt weird acting serious. Super nice guy and could make you laugh with 2 syllables.

And very well said re; the comedic talent of that era. Bonafide legends.

You met Leslie Nielsen? You lucky duck. Him and Lloyd Bridges are my 2 favourite old white haired dude comedy actors of all time.

And of course, Leslie was using his pooter here.

Went with a fellow Canuck. John Candy. He seemed so likeable.

eddie murphy or bill murray.

Glad to see Dan Aykroyd finally get a vote. He's awesome and always makes anything he's in better.

Candy by quite a wide margin for me. Like really wide. Almost tempted to use the AINEC acronym. But I do like most of the other comics on that list. Cool poll.

Three Amigos was funny, but I think Martin Short's best was Three Fugitives. Oh man was his role funny. That bank heist scene is beyond hysterical. Crazy that a guy is in two movies with the word Three in the title 3 years apart near the beginning of his film career.

John Cleese
David Jason
Craig Charles

From that list its got to be Pryor.

Martin's the fucking king!

giphy.gif

Steve Martin would have to be second on my list. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Planes Trains and Automobiles (shared of course with my fave in Candy) were probably my two favorite of his. Also, shout out to Bowfinger from the 90s which I found hilarious (that highway crossing with Eddie Murphy was tear-inducing).

Back