• Bill Murray

• Rodney Dangerfield

• Christopher Lloyd

• Richard Pryor

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
G

Guestx

We all know the 80s had some awesome comedies. And unfortunately, today, most of those guys have faded out of the spotlight.

Let's remember bygone times by discussing our favorite comedic actors of the best decade in modern history.

NOTE: I'm intentionally leaving out guys who later went on to be known for their extensive dramatic work, like Tom Hanks.

When I saw the thread title Eddie Murphy jumped directly into my mind. I'm glad to see he was one of the poll options.

John Candy was a close second.

Eddie Murphy
Chevy Chase
Andy Kaufman
Richard Pryor

Last edited:
Ah, I guess I should've included Prior. Damn. Too late to edit now.
Alot of those could pass for 70s comedic actors, too. I'd throw Michael Keaton in the mix, as he was known for his comedic roles before doing Batman.

The Candy man for me. Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, The Great Outdoors, Spaceballs. Was legit sad when he passed

unclebuck.jpg

He had some movies in the 90s I liked as well, but your title says 80s

Honestly, when I look at the number of top quality comedies from that decade, I think I might have to surprise myself and go with Chevy Chase.

Personally, I'm going to rep a guy who I think just doesn't get his due these days. I always loved Steve Martin back in the day and appreciate his ability to play both the goofy, over the top guy (like in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) as well as something more akin to the straight man (like in Planes, Trains and Automobiles).

His last starring role was in 2011's The Big Year, a film that I didn't think was great, but it was charming enough and deserved to make more than the $7 million it took in at the box office.

father-of-the-bride-steve-martin-GC.jpg

The man also plays a mean banjo:

Absolutely love every guy on that list. I went with Bill Murray with Eddie Murphy, Leslie Nielsen and John Candy (who died at age 44 sadly) close behind. The whole list is responsible for movies than I really hold close as I grew up watching them.

Also agree that Richard Pryor should have been on there, he made a ton of movies in the 80's

Eddie is a clear winner but I love a lot of those guys especially candy

Went with Chevy, but love Leslie, Candy and Murray.

The Candy man for me. Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, The Great Outdoors, Spaceballs. Was legit sad when he passed

unclebuck.jpg

He had some movies in the 90s I liked as well, but your title says 80s

I still remember being in a drug store in Memphis, TN and learning about Candy's death by seeing something about it on the front page of a magazine. No Internet then and I was only 12 so it took a while for me to learn about it, but it's still something I remember.

John Candy was the fucking man back in the day!

Personally, I'm going to rep a guy who I think just doesn't get his due these days. I always loved Steve Martin back in the day and appreciate his ability to play both the goofy, over the top guy (like in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) as well as something more akin to the straight man (like in Planes, Trains and Automobiles).

His last starring role was in 2011's The Big Year, a film that I didn't think was great, but it was charming enough and deserved to make more than the $7 million it took in at the box office.

father-of-the-bride-steve-martin-GC.jpg

The man also plays a mean banjo:

He's just a great all round human being. I always really liked him in Roxanne, great romantic comedy. Parenthood and his part in Little shop of horrors was awesome too. Three Amigos was pretty good too

Honestly, when I look at the number of top quality comedies from that decade, I think I might have to surprise myself and go with Chevy Chase.

What's interesting about Chevy is that he had one of the narrowest windows in terms of making movies that people actually gave a shit about, but he did use that time wisely.

In fact, of all the movies any of those guys made, Christmas Vacation is probably the one that has the most personal meaning and value to me.

Back