You aren't broke because of the system, you are broke because you make bad life choices

Lol @ ramen noodles being healthy to eat.

That's why you see so many fit people including them in their diets. All that salt is good for you. Or perhaps thst dried piece of rat shit thst is "meat." Funny stuff people

nice bullshit thread.

you have what you earn, how you use it it's another story.

Lol @ ramen noodles being healthy to eat.

That's why you see so many fit people including them in their diets. All that salt is good for you. Or perhaps thst dried piece of rat shit thst is "meat." Funny stuff people

people die all the time from the simple act of eating ramen noodles alone, right? Way to miss the point yet again you goof.

Agreed. Thrift is rapidly becoming a lost art. I live in a pretty upscale suburban neighborhood. But my cars are 13 and 15 years old (both still purr like kittens). One has over 200K and the other 160.

At a poker game recently a 'friend' of sorts (who drives a 70 K Mercedes) took a playful jab at me and asked why 'I littered the neighborhood with those jalopies'. I told him it was because 'I loved going decades between car payments and I really loved taking $24,000 in mileage deductions every year on a car worth $900, and another $24K on a car worth $1200. My cars pay me motherfucker, they are employees, and between the 2 of them they pay me what your wife makes every year as a teacher. Let me know when your cars pay you'.

Agree 100%.

My point is that if poor fucks need to enjoy things like booze, smokes, movies, lobster, whateverthefuck because people need enjoyment in their lives then one should't so readily dismiss the feeling of owning a brand new car. If you're saying there's no extra enjoyment in being the first owner of something then we're probably not going to see eye to eye.

Instead of your sandwich example let's instead compare it to my dogs. I have one girl I bought at 8 weeks and two that emerged from her cooch. To me there's something special about being there from day one. But suit yourself with your 2nd-hand shit. Good deals are awesome, but sometimes there's more to life.

I think you're going a little overboard there. Some things are worth worth paying full price for, somethings have marginal value. Whether you buy the car first hand or second hand, you're still going to get years of enjoyment out of it (unless you're changing whips every 3-5 years). If the feeling of owning a brand new car is worth the premium then by all means go for it. But that is a very different conversation from foregoing a car altogether.

Getting something you want at a great price is very different from completely sacrificing it altogether.

It's like buying used video games. Sure, at $60 you get to say "No one has owned this specific video game cartridge before me," but you're still playing the same game as the guy who bought the used copy for $45. The only person who is missing the experience is the person who doesn't buy the game at all.

Is there extra enjoyment in being the first owner of something? Sure. Is it worth $XX thousands of dollars? Depends on you.

But as a value point, it's usually not worth the extra cost unless you're keeping the vehicle for it's entire life cycle.

I think you're going a little overboard there. Some things are worth worth paying full price for, somethings have marginal value. Whether you buy the car first hand or second hand, you're still going to get years of enjoyment out of it (unless you're changing whips every 3-5 years). If the feeling of owning a brand new car is worth the premium then by all means go for it. But that is a very different conversation from foregoing a car altogether.

Getting something you want at a great price is very different from completely sacrificing it altogether.

No clue what's "overboard" in my post. No clue what you're talking about in terms of foregoing a car altogether. And nowhere did I argue that buying new was more financially prudent. I just told the other poster that if you never own a brand new car you're missing out. Not sure where the controversy is there.

No clue what's "overboard" in my post. No clue what you're talking about in terms of foregoing a car altogether. And nowhere did I argue that buying new was more financially prudent. I just told the other poster that if you never own a brand new car you're missing out. Not sure where the controversy is there.

There's no controversy. He said that there's no reason to buy a new car, you said he's missing out. I said he's not missing out on anything since the car depreciates immediately. His point and mine is that people aren't missing out on anything. They still get the car, they still get to drive it for years. What exactly are they missing out on with a new vs. used car.

When I said you're going overboard, it was because you started saying that's there's extra value in being the first owner of something and even referenced pets. But we're talking about cars, not every possible purchase.

There's no extra value in being the first owner of a car that the second owner is missing out on. The enjoyment of a car goes well beyond just being the first owner. Being first is a marginal value. No one is saying don't buy new cars if that marginal value is worth a premium to you.

There's another dimension, too. Your options aren't just spend $X on a new car or $X-N on a used one--you can also spend $X on either a new one or a used one. However you spend your money, you could feel like you're missing out if you're inclined that way (and objectively, of course you're missing out on an uncountable number of other uses of it), but I think most people would prefer having a better car and making a better financial investment (guaranteed negative return either way, but less so with the used car) to whatever good feelings they get from being the first owner, though there's nothing wrong with being unusual in that area.

There's no controversy. He said that there's no reason to buy a new car, you said he's missing out. I said he's not missing out on anything since the car depreciates immediately. His point and mine is that people aren't missing out on anything. They still get the car, they still get to drive it for years. What exactly are they missing out on with a new vs. used car.

When I said you're going overboard, it was because you started saying that's there's extra value in being the first owner of something and even referenced pets. But we're talking about cars, not every possible purchase.

There's no extra value in being the first owner of a car that the second owner is missing out on. The enjoyment of a car goes well beyond just being the first owner. Being first is a marginal value. No one is saying don't buy new cars if that marginal value is worth a premium to you.

1. Great. I'm sorry neither of you two enjoyed your brand new cars as much as I have mine.

2. Says the guy comparing it to a video game.

3. It's like you agree it's a matter of opinion yet still want to tell me I'm wrong. It was an offhand comment separate from the economics of it. Let it go.

people die all the time from the simple act of eating ramen noodles alone, right? Way to miss the point yet again you goof.

Yes esting poor diets that contain high levels of salt lead to unhealthy lifestyles that will eventually kill you.m

Ramen noodles are very bad for you to eat. Legit get a clue dopey

There's another dimension, too. Your options aren't just spend $X on a new car or $X-N on a used one--you can also spend $X on either a new one or a used one. However you spend your money, you could feel like you're missing out if you're inclined that way (and objectively, of course you're missing out on an uncountable number of other uses of it), but I think most people would prefer having a better car and making a better financial investment (guaranteed negative return either way, but less so with the used car) to whatever good feelings they get from being the first owner, though there's nothing wrong with being unusual in that area.

Fair enough. But a good question people en masse are forgetting to ask themselves is, 'What am I using this for?' What do I need?

I am not saying the people should forego getting things they want. But they should only acquire things they want if there is something left over after they have addressed their needs.

Too many people today, people of ALL ages, are not able to correctly differentiate needs from wants.

You do need to save money for retirement, and for a rainy day. And a person may need a car to get to work. But if the fact that you have bought a $40,000 car to get to work, which you don't need, means you are not saving anything for retirement or a rainy day, which you do, you are doing it wrong.

A person may suggest they need coffee. And perhaps they are addicted to caffeine and do need it ( I know I am). But what they need is caffeine, not $50.00 a month of caffeine or more at Starbucks. They want Starbucks. But if they are driving their 40K car to Starbucks to get coffee on their way to work, not saving for retirement, and don't have a grain of coffee grounds in their house, again, I posit they are doing it wrong.

And even within the smaller realm of wants, there are degrees of recklessness. A person definitely does not need to get drunk, but they may really want to. And even if they make the poor choice to address that want before their needs, there are degrees to how poorly they might do that. After the very affordable coffee they brewed at home and took to work in their 2009 For Fusion they bought for $4500, they could swing by the liquor store on the way home and buy a 12 pack or some booze for cocktails on their way home. Get a nice little buzz going, then catch a ride to the bar and coast it on out with a libation or 2.

Fair enough. But a good question people en masse are forgetting to ask themselves is, 'What am I using this for?' What do I need?

I am not saying the people should forego getting things they want. But they should only acquire things they want if there is something left over after they have addressed their needs.

Too many people today, people of ALL ages, are not able to correctly differentiate needs from wants.

You do need to save money for retirement, and for a rainy day. And a person may need a car to get to work. But if the fact that you have bought a $40,000 car to get to work, which you don't need, means you are not saving anything for retirement or a rainy day, which you do, you are doing it wrong.

A person may suggest they need coffee. And perhaps they are addicted to caffeine and do need it ( I know I am). But what they need is caffeine, not $50.00 a month of caffeine or more at Starbucks. They want Starbucks. But if they are driving their 40K car to Starbucks to get coffee on their way to work, not saving for retirement, and don't have a grain of coffee grounds in their house, again, I posit they are doing it wrong.

And even within the smaller realm of wants, there are degrees of recklessness. A person definitely does not need to get drunk, but they may really want to. And even if they make the poor choice to address that want before their needs, there are degrees to how poorly they might do that. After the very affordable coffee they brewed at home and took to work in their 2009 For Fusion they bought for $4500, they could swing by the liquor store on the way home and buy a 12 pack or some booze for cocktails on their way home. Get a nice little buzz going, then catch a ride to the bar and coast it on out with a libation or 2.

I have no problem with anyone choosing to spend their money however they see fit. I have a couple of very broad beliefs that I articulated earlier (like that I think you get more happiness out of your money by spending it on experiences than on stuff), but generally, you know your own life way the fuck better than I do.

I think that in general, human nature is what it is. People respond to incentives, and if you want to change behavior on a large scale, you have to change their incentives. And if not, I don't see much use in complaining that people are doing stuff I wouldn't do (very likely responding to incentives that I'm not aware of). And I don't think that hectoring poor people to change their consumption habits really solves any real societal problem. I think a long-term falling labor share of the economy is a real problem, and the potential that the trend could continue or accelerate is something to worry about and plan for.

My friends wife was complaining on facebook about how they are always broke and living paycheck to paycheck. I tried to explain to her how much little things like coffee, cigarettes, and alcohol add up over time, especially for 2 people.

She of course brushed it off and went on to continue complaining about how it isn't their fault and that the system is broken.

The Cost of Vices

Starbucks Coffee - $5 a day for 1 cup / $10 a day for 2 cups
Yearly Cost - $1,825 a year for 1 cup / $3,650 a year for 2 cups

Cigarettes - $5-$8 a day for 1 pack / $10-$16 a day for 2 packs
Yearly Cost - $1,825-$2,920 a year for 1 pack / $3,650-$5,840 a year for 2 packs

6-Pack Beer/Bottle of Wine - $8 a day for 1 / $16 a day for 2
Yearly Cost - $2,920 a year for 1 / $5,840 per year for 2

If you drink 1 cup of coffee per day, smoke 1 pack of cheap cigarettes per day, and have a bottle of wine per day you spend $6,570 per year.

If you drink 2 cups of coffee per day, smoke 2 packs of expensive cigarettes per day, and have a bottle of wine and a 6 pack of beer per day you spend $15,330 per year.
Coffee at the Starbucks near me is not $5. That said, I fill my thermos at the gas station for $1.29.

Agreed. Thrift is rapidly becoming a lost art. I live in a pretty upscale suburban neighborhood. But my cars are 13 and 15 years old (both still purr like kittens). One has over 200K and the other 160.

At a poker game recently a 'friend' of sorts (who drives a 70 K Mercedes) took a playful jab at me and asked why 'I littered the neighborhood with those jalopies'. I told him it was because 'I loved going decades between car payments and I really loved taking $24,000 in mileage deductions every year on a car worth $900, and another $24K on a car worth $1200. My cars pay me motherfucker, they are employees, and between the 2 of them they pay me what your wife makes every year as a teacher. Let me know when your cars pay you'.

See I agree with this. Thrift is a dying art. I could live without the hyperbole of the op.

Of course I could point to consumerist culture, leading to this change.

Eating well on a budget isn't hard.
Beef, chicken rice and veggies aren't all that expensive. You just have to take the time to prep them.

I have no problem with anyone choosing to spend their money however they see fit. I have a couple of very broad beliefs that I articulated earlier (like that I think you get more happiness out of your money by spending it on experiences than on stuff), but generally, you know your own life way the fuck better than I do.

I think that in general, human nature is what it is. People respond to incentives, and if you want to change behavior on a large scale, you have to change their incentives. And if not, I don't see much use in complaining that people are doing stuff I wouldn't do (very likely responding to incentives that I'm not aware of). And I don't think that hectoring poor people to change their consumption habits really solves any real societal problem. I think a long-term falling labor share of the economy is a real problem, and the potential that the trend could continue or accelerate is something to worry about and plan for.

Wow, I expected more out of you on this one. I am not going to pull out any picket signs to protest individual fiscal recklessness. But good habits are very, very important, as is common sense and personal financial discipline. I want everyone to have those good habits, even if I don't know them, and particularly if they are on the lower end of the income spectrum. As a low income earner that is reckless with money will be using my money for the things they need. And a low income earner that does not save turns already low odds of climbing out of poverty into even lower ones.

Fuck dude... you forgot to add the gram of coke everyday that's $100 and the $50 bill you light on fire to start the gas stove. That adds up too.

Fuck dude... you forgot to add the gram of coke everyday that's $100 and the $50 bill you light on fire to start the gas stove. That adds up too.

What do you need the stove for if you're on coke? And if you're doing it habitually then you cut out the cost by dealing. Come on man, think!

13626-15826.gif

:D

6 of one and half a dozen of the other

From 1st world countries every part of the economy which can be exported has been exported and millions of people from the 3rd world have been and are being imported to compete for what remains.

Since the Industrial Revolution machines have been putting more and more people out of work.

The consolidation of capital and privatisation sucks property more and more into the capstone of the pyramid leaving less and less for the working man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back