Yoel is 40 and Woodley is 36 in 2 months?

Lol at calling wrestling combat sports. It require tremendous endurance and hard work, but you don't get even a fraction of the brain trauma you receive in boxing, kickboxing etc.. Unless you destroy your body, which they didn't, it's just not that debilitating for a guy entering MMA.

The high level comp is true, and if they get to 30 fights fighting comp like this, they'll be complete shells of themselves. But they won't fight that long anyway.
Way more wear and tear on your body, joints and knees than those sports. Kickboxing is a joke made up of a tiny talent pool of low low level athletes.

Some guys just have freak athlete genes. Also how many miles you have on your body and maybe chin... But at 38 I would definitely like to talk to Couture and find out. ;)

That's the thing, it's not about age it's mostly about wear and tear.

My first boxing coach was in his eary 40s and he could move in a very graceful manner and hit really hard.

His quote was " you can go to the well only so many times before its empty" since he was aware of tear and wear and that age is overrated if...you are technique based.

Hopkins started pro boxing in mid 20s with very little amateur fights.

The idea is to not tax your nervous system and to build your physical attribute up systematically as oppose to be young and brave.

51FGx8kUv-L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It aint no bullshit it is backed up with stats. You know that shit that proves facts? Yeah you wouldnt get it, I know.

What facts are you speaking of? show me these facts...I have seen countless times, and not rare examples of guys in their 40s to late 40s competing at the highest level in sports...whether that be pro football, boxing, mma...you name it...not sure why you want to even debate this...Guys don't go out of their prime cause of age, they go out of their prime cause they lose focus and a desire to compete...age has much less to do with it that people think...

And what are A level athletes...I have only heard that phrase at this site...never anywhere else....ever...it's coming from teenagers living in their parents basement...If you can make it to the top of whatever sport you're in, you're an A level athlete....End of story.....

Experience is a huge factor in any combat sports. Combined with all the guys you mentioned being able to stay in competitive shape, leads to more success

I think since the sport is relatively young the older fighters can still win on experience. But as time goes on I see the average age of champions and top contenders getting lower

What facts are you speaking of? show me these facts...I have seen countless times, and not rare examples of guys in their 40s to late 40s competing at the highest level in sports...whether that be pro football, boxing, mma...you name it...not sure why you want to even debate this...Guys don't go out of their prime cause of age, they go out of their prime cause they lose focus and a desire to compete...age has much less to do with it that people think...

And what are A level athletes...I have only heard that phrase at this site...never anywhere else....ever...it's coming from teenagers living in their parents basement...If you can make it to the top of whatever sport you're in, you're an A level athlete....End of story.....

Its called science. Its backed by many reputable scientist and nutrionist. I aint saying this cause I am the author, no no no. I am the messenger. Listen to what the science says buddy.

I guess it's because speed/quickness isn't a huge component of your success, in some other sports speed/quickness is a way more integral component to your success.

Edgar's 36 and going strong at FW, which is extremely rare. There's undoubtedly several factors that contribute to a fighters longevity, for frankie, i actually think he prolonged his career by avoiding unhealthy weight cuts. Also, you have some athletes who bkoat up during the off season--hendricks, ferguson, Silva, etc etc--then you have guys like GSP and Edgar who stay in shape year round. When your younger, you can take months off and then easily get right back into shape, but once you start getting older, if you stop the routine, it's very difficukt to get back to your previous level.

Mileage is a real thing. That's why guys like Aldo who is only 31 looks burnt and close to retirement.

Most guys who are still in great shape in their late 30s/early 40s are the ones who started late or don't have as many fights.

Hendo is basically the only exception to that

Funny Woodley doesnt call out romero, yet GSP gets shit for not fighting the big boys at mw lollll
Woodley didn't move up to fight the weakest champ in MW history and then immidiatly relinquish the title instead of defending against any of the toP 5 at MW

Notice all the fighters mentioned are wrestlers.

The lesson to take from this, don't start off with pussy sports like boxing and kick boxing. Get on the mat.

Edit: Bisping landed a lucky shot and held the division up for over a year, so he doesn't count.

giphy.gif

Staying in very good shape and having a wrestling base helps tremendously. Even BJJ as a base is fine. Grappling lends itself to longevity. If you don't have a lot of wear and tear going in, that helps a lot too. You can reasonably expect to do well until about 40 unless you're in a manlet division and then you're just the exception to the rule like the over 40 crowd.

Back