Yoel is 40 and Woodley is 36 in 2 months?

Because the sport is only 25 years old. Hell hendo was around that age when the ufc started. Eventually there will be kids training mma from a young age who will come up and have as much training as these 40 year olds at the age of 25. But for now a lot of these guys start training late so by the time they are good enough to win a beltt they are old.
#1 myth

Funny Woodley doesnt call out romero, yet GSP gets shit for not fighting the big boys at mw lollll

Wear and tear is WORSE than age!

Perfect example would be:

Karo parisyan, Joe Riggs and Sam stout. They all fought as teenagers and by the time they were in their late 20s they were done.

Same shit with thai kickboxers. They fight as kids and by the time they are in late teens they are like bunch of old geezers unless if they avoided damage and shitty training methods that destroy your limbs.

Focus on flexibility and plyometrics as well as proper technique training.

Some guys just have freak athlete genes. Also how many miles you have on your body and maybe chin... But at 38 I would definitely like to talk to Couture and find out. ;)

You cant compare C level athletes with B or A or A+ level athletes. The higher the grade level the more younger your prime is.

A+ prime is around 28
A Prime is 30
B+ Prime 32
B Prime 34
C+ Prime 36
C Prime 38

Nascar drivers Prime are probably the lowest at 46

This is the biggest pile of shit I have ever read in my life...there is no such thing as A prime or b prime....so Romero isn't an A athlete? Bernard hopkins, champion at 49 wasn't an A athlete....how about guys like Archie moore, who was a world champion in his 40s and fought into his 50s.

The whole A athlete is a sherdog thing...and it's utter bullshit...So NFL are A athletes according to sherdog...what about tom freaken Brady...he just set a superbowl record for most yards passed and he's 40. fact is this my young naive friend....Guys in their 40s have ruled in many sports, since the very beginning...so stop with this retarded sherdog bullshit....

Some guys just have freak athlete genes. Also how many miles you have on your body and maybe chin... But at 38 I would definitely like to talk to Couture and find out. ;)

Has nothing to do with genes...has to do with keeping yourself in shape and keeping your desire up...

This is the biggest pile of shit I have ever read in my life...there is no such thing as A prime or b prime....so Romero isn't an A athlete? Bernard hopkins, champion at 49 wasn't an A athlete....how about guys like Archie moore, who was a world champion in his 40s and fought into his 50s.

The whole A athlete is a sherdog thing...and it's utter bullshit...So NFL are A athletes according to sherdog...what about tom freaken Brady...he just set a superbowl record for most yards passed and he's 40. fact is this my young naive friend....Guys in their 40s have ruled in many sports, since the very beginning...so stop with this retarded sherdog bullshit....

It aint no bullshit it is backed up with stats. You know that shit that proves facts? Yeah you wouldnt get it, I know.

You can get away with being less athletic in MMA, baseball, and golf...less impact on the joints. Football and basketball...not so much.

Lol at calling wrestling combat sports. It require tremendous endurance and hard work, but you don't get even a fraction of the brain trauma you receive in boxing, kickboxing etc.. Unless you destroy your body, which they didn't, it's just not that debilitating for a guy entering MMA.

The high level comp is true, and if they get to 30 fights fighting comp like this, they'll be complete shells of themselves. But they won't fight that long anyway.

You obviously know nothing about wrestling.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/concussion-wrestling-football-college.htm
"Student-athletes have a better chance of getting a concussion on a wrestling mat than they do on a football field, according to a study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. The study focused on data reported to the NCAA by athletic trainers over a five-year period and concluded that college wrestlers have the highest concussion rates of any sport."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3809053/

"Boxing and wrestling had similar injury rates for concussions."

Last edited:
Experience is a huge factor in any combat sports. Combined with all the guys you mentioned being able to stay in competitive shape, leads to more success

Mileage is a real thing. That's why guys like Aldo who is only 31 looks burnt and close to retirement.

Most guys who are still in great shape in their late 30s/early 40s are the ones who started late or don't have as many fights.

Because the sport is only 25 years old.

All of the above ^. Cumulative knowledge, mileage and a somewhat young sport are all attributing to the older guys doing so well.

If you can keep your body intact throughout and mitigate damage then you'll do somewhat well towards the twilight years of your career (or so it seems). The fact the sport is young helps that too - there are these young bucks who have been training since their early years but they still don't have the same fight experience or knowledge as these dudes doing it for decades.

The game is still evolving and will be interesting to see how it pans out in the next 10-20 years.

Really great athletes like a DC or a Romero can be great later in life even though they are not the same level of athlete they were when they were young. They are still better athletes than most of the people they are competing against. And the technique should be getting better as you get older with more fights.

MMA requires a ton of different skills. To become proficient in wrestling, submission grappling and striking takes several years. Training camps have only begun to catch up in the past few years.

The closest thing I could compare it to is the Quarterback position. What is the peak age for a QB? Probably 27-32. Add a few more years for MMA and you have your answer.

Cormier, Yoel and Woodley don't pass the eye test.

Has nothing to do with genes...has to do with keeping yourself in shape and keeping your desire up...

It has to do with your genes. There are grades to this Athletes. Not everyone is equal. look at Jordan and look at Jones.

most ufc fighters dont start training mma until late 20s or early 30s (Woodley at 26 & Yoel 31). they only know either wrestling or striking and pick up as much as they can as they go. once they have learned enough skills they are already out of their physical prime.

Plus Hendo recently almost became champ at 47 off TRT, Bisping became champ at 38 and Randy Couture's success in his 40's is well documented.

What is it about MMA that lends itself to older people being so successful at it?

Are older people less health conscience and able to embrace the extreme sport aspect better?

Sport for sport it has some of the oldest athletes.

Technique gets better over time and if you're willing to use PEDs you can compete well into your 40s....

As doping gets more advanced we are going to see this trend in all sports. Hell, Brady just threw for a superbowl record at 40.

Back