Yoel is 40 and Woodley is 36 in 2 months?

Notice all the fighters mentioned are wrestlers.

The lesson to take from this, don't start off with pussy sports like boxing and kick boxing. Get on the mat.

Edit: Bisping landed a lucky shot and held the division up for over a year, so he doesn't count.
Bitch he is the count

-New sport
-small talent pool
-lower calibre athletes (still good)
-sneaky USADA business

You make good points but you are still arguing with scientist. Why do you keep arguing?

Remember, scientists at one time thought the earth was flat...I'm not saying they are necessarily wrong for the norm...but not every person can be put in that norm...

problem is sage only trained shitty arts. look at the perfect example in pico, he's pretty young and he's already pretty fucking good

He got KOd in his debut by a can and still fights cans.

Yeah soon we'll be getting test tube babies selected to be ufc fighters from birth akin to Spartan II's, trained in martial arts from 5 years old and they'll just take over the sport entirely.

What are we going to do when kids like this show up? <Lmaoo>

Sage Northcutt
images

lol Ive been hearing this fantasy for so long. The one where kids will start training from 6 years old and will be indestructable killers in the octagon. And no one past 30 will ever hold gold in the ufc again once it happens lol. Sage has been training mma literally his entire life, has maintained a perfect physique and still it didnt translate so well. There are so many other factors involved. Age being one of the least important ones.

Its called statistics buddy, not ever single person has what it takes to excel at any sport if they train from a young age. If I had been playing basketball since I was six i would still be crap now 20 something years later. How many millions of young kids play basketball, football, baseball or another common sport in america? And how many of them become pros? what percentage of kids do you think even really know what mma is, let alone the number that train. Until millions of kids train mma the same way millions of kids play other sports you cant make random assertions like age isnt an important factor. STATISTICS, and sage trained karate his whole life not mma.

Almost every attribute declines with age; speed, agility, strength, power, cardio, endurance ect, the only one that increases is experience. If a 25 year old kid has 15 solid years of safe, professional mma training, he will undoubtedly be more likely to beat a 40 year old with 15 yeas of training. Problem is that theres very, very few of these people NOW. In the next decades there will be kids like im describing doing what im describing.

I think since the sport is relatively young the older fighters can still win on experience. But as time goes on I see the average age of champions and top contenders getting lower
In boxing guys like Wlad, Floyd, Pac Man, Hopkins, Foreman, Holyfield etc. lasted to middle age...

Notice all the fighters mentioned are wrestlers.

The lesson to take from this, don't start off with pussy sports like boxing and kick boxing. Get on the mat.

Edit: Bisping landed a lucky shot and held the division up for over a year, so he doesn't count.
Boxing a pussy sport - wrong
Kickboxing a pussy sport - wrong
Bisping landing a lucky punch - wrong

The lesson to take from this is,you don't wtf know you're talking about.

In boxing guys like Wlad, Floyd, Pac Man, Hopkins, Foreman, Holyfield etc. lasted to middle age...

I said Average age. And Boxers have only one thing to worry about in the ring. Not some NCAA wrestler tiring them the fuck out.

<DCrying>
That POS gets rewarded for missing weight on purpose because he knew that fake belt did not mean s_hit as well as he would fight for the real one even if he missed weight. He got his weight down to where it gets ugly, about 3 or 4 pounds out and stopped. He was not sucked in at the weigh in or anything and let Luke drain himself then robbed him of his title shot. Luke was so drained he could not process the questions he was being asked after the weigh in and ole shyster not only slithers his way out of being caught using steroids because of the tainted supplement myth but claims he could not make weight in 6 weeks because of short notices and spits on the interim belt and gets a shot at the real one. The integrity of the UFC is in Hell in a handbasket. the fight was announced 1 month earlier but Yoel knew about the fight 2 weeks prior and he could not get no closer than 3 pounds? He should have had to be wheelchaired to that scale but he came out like he was at the beach and let's remember he had 2 hours and he drops .3 lbs and was not sucked in at all but only .3 pounds? come on man

At a high level, they fight twice a year

compare it to other sports, seasonal sports especially

if they train smart and take care of themselves with age they can have longevity

old guys can peform, just not week in week out(without injury), not 80 times a season etc

Plus Hendo recently almost became champ at 47 off TRT, Bisping became champ at 38 and Randy Couture's success in his 40's is well documented.

What is it about MMA that lends itself to older people being so successful at it?

Are older people less health conscience and able to embrace the extreme sport aspect better?

Sport for sport it has some of the oldest athletes.
Experience and it's man vs man.
What other sport checks those boxes
besides boxing?
The Executioner Hopkins , James Tony, they may be 50 athletes from boxing won a Belt near 40.
Other sports you have teammates who can shelter you.
And I'm specifically talking about contact sports.
And no "my rules I make them up"
Baseball is not a sport it's a game, Basketball is not a sport it's a game.
Hockey And Football are sports.
The difference, at any moment they can say OK. I don't give a fuck about the instrument or spherical object in play I'm just going to rip your fucking head off.

Maybe a dark though maybe juuuuuuuuust maybe would be less gang shooting's if Basketball players put shoulder pads on. :)

Last edited:
Stipe is gonna be 36 this year. Werdum is 40 and had the title just before him. Chuck had the title till he was 37, Silva till 38. Elite fighters can make up for athleticism with skill and experience.

MMA is OK for old guys because you don't have to run in MMA. MMA is tough on your face and other things, but a sport like basketball is brutal on your knees, ankles, etc. because you gotta run. Same with football. In MMA, you can rely on that clinch (i.e. old man strenf) to wear down your more explosive opponent.

What is it about MMA that lends itself to older people being so successful at it?

I think to some extent it's because of the slow matchmaking. It's just the nature of combat sports where the athletes get to fight twice a year.

There might be some younger contenders who could beat Tyron right now but we'll have to wait like 3-4 years before they get through 5-7 UFC fights and get a title shot.

For example Romero's MMA prime was probably when he just entered the UFC in 2013. When he got to face the elite he was past his prime but then again those elite guys he eventually faced were past their prime too at that point so it evened out.

Basically as the elite guys in the division grow older the old guard develops and the young guys have to get past all the veteran gatekeepers and former contenders which could take some years.

It's wear and tear. It's why a 45 yr old plumber has knee/back problems and an accountants are fine.

Anyway most amazing fighter to me is Mousassi on this note. Dudes has like 50 fights and still in prime.

Probably beat both of them too.

That's the thing, it's not about age it's mostly about wear and tear.

My first boxing coach was in his eary 40s and he could move in a very graceful manner and hit really hard.

His quote was " you can go to the well only so many times before its empty" since he was aware of tear and wear and that age is overrated if...you are technique based.

Hopkins started pro boxing in mid 20s with very little amateur fights.

The idea is to not tax your nervous system and to build your physical attribute up systematically as oppose to be young and brave.

Wear and tear is a huge factor, arguably the biggest one.

It's always a combination of genetics, wear and tear and desire. If any of those are missing, you're not gonna fight into your late 30s or early 40s.

Hopkins is a great example as well. I heard he also took very good care of himself and had a clean lifestyle.

I suppose an example of what not to do would be someone like Chris Leben. Took huge damage and didn't always live clean.

Boxing a pussy sport - wrong
Kickboxing a pussy sport - wrong
Bisping landing a lucky punch - wrong

The lesson to take from this is,you don't wtf know you're talking about.
You sound like someone with no takedown defense
bork1}

Back