WOW - Iceland & Denmark eliminate Down Syndrome with this one weird trick [progress]

I can tell you this. It's the best thing you can do. Those kids destroy the life of their parents and when they get very old the system has to take care of them, It's a nightmare for the workers. I've seen my share of parents releved when their kids died.

Fuck the eugenics is bad crowd.
Agreed. It's especially bad when you see an elderly couple having to take complete care of their 50 year old child with down syndrome.

We have 2 kids and we would've aborted either one if they had down syndrome.

So you avoided the part where you once again proved to be a retard and forgot what this thread was about and went straight to Nazis and deflection.

Please tell me, by what metric does America beat Denmark?
Healthcare. No
Worker rights. No
Access to higher education. No
Social mobility. No
Elder care. No
Obesity. Yes
Healthy middle class. No
Unemployment. No
Social security. No
Political corruption. Yes
Crime rates. Yes
Murder rates. Yes
Shitholes you should not visit. Yes
Actual history and culture. No
Working unions. No
Homeless people. Yes

Etc
Etc
Actually matter in this world: Yes

Making the world worse for decades. Yes
Can't make the world worse if you're utterly irrelevant, of course.
That's like saying you can't graduate last in your class when you don't even go to university.

I gotta admit I love the thread title.

I'm not against the choice.

The interesting part here is that liberals arguing that these potential borns are going to be huge burdens to the state, society and parents so we should support the option of not funding them or cutting them off. But they do a 180 on that view when righties say the same thing about drug addicts and poverty cases.

They're making the right decision. Those kids suck up every inch of life of their parents: their energy, their money, their time, everything. And for what? It doesn't matter how much you invest in them, they're not going to become anything. To have a handicapped idiot as your legacy? No way. Start over and get a healthy child, get the satisfaction of being a real parent.
Holy shit lmao

An ex-friend of mine has a daughter with Down Syndrome.
They found out in a prenatal screening test. But since his wife was 38 and they thought it might be their last chance of being parents, they chose to keep her anyway.

Now the little girl has to live with this. This is sick and shouldn't be legal.
If you know your child is going to be malformed or disabled in some way, you abort it. No ifs, no buts.
People tend to forget that abortion is sometimes done for the child's benefit. It's not always a selfish act.

Yikes.

I've known a couple of people who had siblings/children with Down's. The kids seemed pretty happy, both as children and even as adults. If life is very difficult for anyone, it's their parents. They're the ones who will have to deal with being responsible for their kids for the rest of their lives in a way parents of non-Down's kids never will. They take on a big burden and give their kids happy lives. That's the opposite of being selfish.

They found out in a prenatal screening test. But since his wife was 38 and they thought it might be their last chance of being parents, they chose to keep her anyway.

If you know your child is going to be malformed or disabled in some way, you abort it. No ifs, no buts.
People tend to forget that abortion is sometimes done for the child's benefit. It's not always a selfish act.

But many with Downs syndrome are generally happy and content.

Many of them more happy than regular people. And they can hold jobs as well.

So is that really for the childs benefit?

If so, shouldn't we just kill all kids and adults already born with Downs Syndrome?

Since it will end their suffering!?

Give people education and let them make an informed choice, but for fuck's sake, dont compel them to terminate their pregnancies.

So do something about it. Go murder your friend's daughter and put her out of misery and ease the pain of the parents.

This is a fascinating subject. Too bad it turned into a flame war.

Some of you guys are really crazy and irrational.

If I want a blue eyed, blond haired, white, straight child, that should be my right.
I'm going to start here. Everyone wants a normal child who will live a happy, successful life and go on to be married and have their own children. It seems that parents want to be grandparents later in life.

Parents have expectations and dreams for how their kids will turn out, but ultimately you don't get to choose the sexuality of your child once they turn a certain age. I'm not sure why you'd label an infant gay/lesbian/straight. That seems pretty silly.

I suppose its for the best but it's horrible when you think of all those alive with down syndrome today that that these people enjoying their lives wouldn't exist because of this..

People with Down's can live happy lives.

How do you measure their happiness? Because they are smiling and laughing? Is that the definition of happiness and fulfillment? A mentally retarded person who is capable of laughing and smiling?

Down's syndrome is a form of mental retardation. Their brains, their awareness and their functionality and their existence are literally retarded (limited). They do not have full capacity.

My dog is happy. He loves life. He loves to run and he loves to swim and loves belly rubs, but if I were to take his existence and transform it into a human body, would that be ethical? Would that make him human if he had a human body but the limitations of his current mind? Sounds ridiculous to compare a retarded person to a dog but aren't a lot of people who suffer from mental retardation essentially toddlers? Aren't dogs a lot like toddlers?

This is the thing a lot of people here seem to be missing. I know a few people with downs and they are the happiest people you could want to meet. There are plenty of people who are smarter who contribute less and are more miserable. If quality of life is the marker for who we should abort id put anybody who thinks it's disgusting or wrong to raise a child with downs higher on the list then people with downs.

I like to ask myself, if my mind was taken away, would I still want to live? If you couldn't do things for yourself, would you still want to live?

I love the logic of "him and his family would have suffered, so we killed him". People only seem to apply that logic to abortions for some reason. But if it is true, shouldn't it be equally valid even after birth? Say you have 2 or 3 year old with down syndrome. Why can't you just club him/her over the head and dump his body in a dumpster?

To me, the big picture in all of this is what is consciousness? Do people with downs syndrome have the same consciousness as "regular" people? Are you equal to someone with down's syndrome?

What is a person? Is it their physical being, or is it their mind? If you remove your mind, are you still you? Does your body continue to live your life?

I think the person is the mind. If the mind is limited, a person cannot live life properly. There's lots of different ways to word what I want to say. I'm not sure if I'm expressing it effectively or even how I want to express it.

Right now, it's unknown what consciousness is. We know so little. Right now, if we perceive consciousness to be one thing, and people with mental disabilities lack that one thing, are they really alive under our current understanding? Is it cruel to keep them alive? Is it cruel to have them living such a restricted and limited existence?

My wife is 39 and we don't have kids. It's now or never with her, and Down's Syndrome is something I think about a lot. I don't want a down's syndrome child. No one does. I don't want to live the rest of my life looking after a toddler. It's a huge burden.

I also have an aunt who had a child with severe autism. She's probably in her 30's now, I guess, but she never developed past her toddler years. I know my aunt loves her. It's her child, of course she loves her, but I've also seen the damage it's done to my aunt and her life. So much pain and struggle. I don't want to live that, and I don't think any rational person would choose to live that way.

The issue of Down's syndrome babies being too burdensome on parents as a cause for abortion is a frictionless, slipperly slope into all sorts of horrific conclusions. When it comes to kids who are too difficult, the list of possibilities is endless. It could include those who can't walk properly, those with Tourette's, Deafness or Blindness, all sorts of brain damage or for that matter GBLTQ kids. Any of them could be classified as being as difficult for some parents as Down's Syndrome kids are to these parents. And using that difficulty to embrace abortion has a horrific list of social consequences for those who do get born.

Deaf and blind people can still function, though. They can communicate and they can understand, receive full education and they can adapt to their environments. Hopefully in the future, deafness and blindness can be medically corrected.

I view physical disabilities as the same. A person missing a limb can still function adequately and adapt to their environments.

I'm not sure how we're intermingling brain deficiencies with physical limitations, and even sexuality.

Grossly ignorant bigots can turn anything into a slippery slope.

85% accuracy? That's a pretty large margin of error. My sister was told there was a high probability that her first would have DS. She deliberated over the question of abortion, but had the child who turned out perfectly healthy. What a tragedy that would have been if she decided to abort. Sickening really.
But she didn't abort. There can be all sorts of "what-ifs" in life, but there is only what is. What if I was aborted? What if you were aborted?

In my opinion life starts with the fusion of an egg-cell and semen and this should also be the base for our laws. This is the most objective and scientific definition which I have found so far.
When does consciousness kick in?

What are your thoughts on miscarriages?

Pretty soon, we'll be able to abort of kinds of fetuses with birth defects. Gay genes, trannies, wrong hair and eye color, etc. They opened Pandora's box.

I wouldn't want a child with Down's Syndrome myself, i see nothing wrong with screening for it.
Anti-abortionists go on about being pro-life but they don't ever give a shit about the life of the woman involved. She is more important than a fetus, she is actually a fully formed human being, the fetus isn't.
Why is her life, or the lives of both the male and female not important?
There is screening for all types of things and abortion is recommended with some of them.

Back