Would you be offended by this gear at your gym?

Think of the children! Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!?

"offended"? Probably not. But I would think it was out of place and immature

i wouldnt be offended. but those shorts are ugly as hell and there is no way i want to see images like that while I am rolling with another man.

It wasn't originally offensive, but it became so after it was co-opted by the Nazi party. Symbols can change their meaning over time. A cross was once a symbol of shame and degradation, but now it's a symbol of hope and resurrection to many. The day might come when the swastika symbol is successfully reclaimed as a symbol of strength, peace, and longevity. But it's unlikely to happen in our lifetime. So we're best advised to use the swastika only as a way to look like a tool while threatening and annoying large numbers of people.

Good for you. Whether you've got buttocks, or testicles, or Miley Cyrus's foam finger tattooed on your body is unimportant.

If you own the gym, you decide what's appropriate attire. You could even train the way the ancient Greeks did, completely nude. Nobody would care as long as you pulled down the blinds and cleaned the mats afterwards. (Y'know, that's starting to sound like fun. No-Gi, indeed) But that's not what the thread is about. The thread is about how other people generally react when you introduce unexpected or uninvited visuals into someone else's space or their visual field.

Being asked to hide your art is generally an early warning that you're displaying it to an unwilling audience. If the display is happening on property you don't own, you've accidentally crossed a line to the point where it's affecting another human. The socially acceptable response is to correct one's conduct, not to demand that the line be moved or erased. Unless, of course, it's one's will to deliberately annoy someone by pushing the limits in their house, in which case why not at least own up to the desire to provoke conflict?

Anyhow, for an adult to be offended at being asked to hide an predictably unwelcome display is the third step in a passive aggressive play. (The first two are knowingly making the unwelcome display and getting called on it). The fourth and final step is to try to avoid the otherwise predictable pushback, by stifling objections. Ironically, it requies preempting somebody else's freedom of expression if it happens to conflict with one's own. There's no way to honestly do that while claiming freedom of expression for onself. Luckily there are some fallacious (less than honest) tactics available.

Sometimes the person making the passive-aggressive play tries to dismiss the other person's agrument on the grounds the person making the argument is evil or defective (ad hominem attack). Other times it's a straw man approach: asserting that the other person has made a completely unreasonable argument and then knocking that argument down. Most often it's just basic name calling: announces that anyone who objects or disagrees is part of a group of people deemed defective or unworthy of the right to a contrary opinion.

That's good, because you most likely paid money for the tatts. If they haven't caused you much social grief, and if you've never been asked to cover them up, it's probably because you practice a more mature level of behavior than you're preaching on this forum. My guess is you're having a bit of fun.

Yep-- here it comes, with a little bit of laughter ("lol") to serve as a prelude to ridicule. Now, let's observe the quality of the ridicule.

1) "PC" => attempt to forcibly identify me with a despised group that is automatically ignored,

2) "high horse" => straw man argument, acting as though I'm trying to set up a fake position of moral superiority, which ironically is a favorite tactic of your dreaded PC movement as well, and...

3) "focus your energy on something constructive" => attempt to force me out of the debate.

Nope, not original at all, although I have to admit three fallacious debate techniques in just one sentence takes talent. The style wasn't half bad, but the setup is stale. Formulaic. Predictable. Mainstream, even. Like one of those PG-13 romantic comedies, except without the makeover scene. A guy with nude tatts can do better than that. So show us some full frontal logic.

Its common knowledge that the swastika predates Hitler and I have numerous Asian friends who have the symbol displayed somewhere in the homes or tattooed on their body. That argument of yours is basically moot because its totally untrue and unfounded.
Your argument is basically that I have to conform to Hilliary's understanding of a symbol instead of the actual meaning, and that's just ridiculous. Here is the most ignorant sentence of your post, I'm copying it just so you can reread it and laugh at yourself.
"So we're best advised to use the swastika only as a way to look like a tool while threatening and annoying large numbers of people."
Best advised by...... who?? Hillary? There are plenty of people from numerous cultures who would beg to differ? But i guess your opinion is the only one that matters.
"The socially acceptable response is to correct one's conduct, not to demand that the line be moved or erased. " -- Tell that to Rosa Parks or MLK. Art is art, regardless of whether or not YOU like it.

Just because you find this offensive, doesn't mean that it is truly offensive.
Honestly, I feel that the reason you're offended by clothed womens photos on MMA shorts are because the women are better looking than you, and that ruffles your feathers. Even if they were naked, the naked human form is not offensive.

If you are offended by art, then YOU are the problem, not the art.

I love how you advocate the total conformation of one's behavior in order to appease others in a social situation. In fact, you make it sound like not conforming is a social disorder, which qualifies your argument as one of the fallacies you attempted to point out earlier.

The swastika isn't an offensive symbol. It predates hitlers birth.
secondly, I have naked women tattooed on my body and so does my girlfriend. I would be more offended if we were asked to hide our art than if someone came into a fight gym with pants that sport some maxim centerfolds. I've never had a problem with my tatts, nor my girlfriends, even though they show "nude buttocks" lol rubbish. get off your pc high horse and focus your energy on something constructive.

Displaying swastikas could mean that you belong to a gang of neo nazis skinhead.
So no to gang attire, symbols, patches etc..
Out of of curiosity, where on your body do you have those tattoos of naked ladies?

The extent some people go for attention is mind boggling.

Displaying swastikas could mean that you belong to a gang of neo nazis skinhead.
So no to gang attire, symbols, patches etc..

So could wearing local sports teams shirts, certain colors, etc. Not saying I disagree with the banning of the swastika in the western world, just that you can't ban something because of gang relevance if there isn't an actual gang issue.

Hell, take a look at these:

bulldog-tats.jpg

Carlson_Gracie_Jiu_Jitsu__DOGS_by_ronintattoo.jpg

Should we stop letting Carlson Gracie people wear bulldogs, because bulldogs are associated with an extremely violent street gang?

Firstly Reddit is full of fat self righteous neckbeards who make a lifestyle out of being obtuse and petty on the internet, so disregard everything there.

Secondly, nope. Not offensive imo. If I had a student at my gym, a women who came up to me as an instructor and told me she found it offensive, I might consider asking the wearer to find something a little more suitable for regular training, but then again I might not. It's not explicit or anything. Although it is a fucking ugly design and you'd have to have no sense of pride or shame to walk around wearing that shit anywhere much less a martial arts gym. But I don't see the big deal.

Forget offended. Shit is tacky as hell. All the super bro designer GI shit is one thing that turns me off about current bjj culture.

So could wearing local sports teams shirts, certain colors, etc. Not saying I disagree with the banning of the swastika in the western world, just that you can't ban something because of gang relevance if there isn't an actual gang issue.

Ok, you might not have neo nazis and skinsheads in your town so you will not understand.

Come and wear a Carlson Gracie T shirt in the New Zealand and see the fun.

Yeah, I said if gangs aren't an issue. Kind of like how the city council in Daly City turned down Bonecrushers school name of Fog City BJJ because Fog city is a street gang name.

And I don't think there are gangs here really. One of the perks of a strong mafia presence during the early years

Yeah, I said if gangs aren't an issue. Kind of like how the city council in Daly City turned down Bonecrushers school name of Fog City BJJ because Fog city is a street gang name.

And I don't think there are gangs here really. One of the perks of a strong mafia presence during the early years

When choosing a name, colors, logo, you have to be carefull and check with other clubs and also the local and national gangs.

Then when you run your BJJ club, you have to choose if you would allowed gang members, affiliates, supporters to train at your gym.

And if you are "friendly" to one group, well you know the rest.

Should we stop letting Carlson Gracie people wear bulldogs, because bulldogs are associated with an extremely violent street gang?

Can we do it on the basis of most bulldog tatoos looking terrible? Because I would be fine with that.

When choosing a name, colors, logo, you have to be carefull and check with other clubs and also the local and national gangs.

Kinda like the Arizona State Sun Devils who changed their colors and logo and it was ridiculously similar to what the Latin Kings use/wear?

Back