Would you be offended by this gear at your gym?

Spazzmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There is an interesting thread going on the BJJ subreddit about these shorts made by a small Hawaiian company called Platinum Jiu Jitsu.

Here is their new "Angel" design:

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

They also make gis and vale tudo shorts with the design on them:

ANGEL_GI_COLL.png

IMG_1534.JPG

The subject of sexist advertising by BJJ/grappling gear companies has been debated before, but what about controversial designs on the gear itself?

I have noticed the BJJ subreddit tends to have more female posters than Sherdog, also reddit users tend to be of older age in general, so I wonder if the perspective will be different here.

I would be offended not because of the half naked chicks with guns but because of the gaudy Godawful designs.

I don't really get offended by self expression but for a school I'd think it's inappropriate, diverts attention, and most instructors, if not all, wouldn't allow training gear like that. The gi probably wouldn't be a problem since you probably won't see the inside but the shorts, especially when there are kids classes before adult ones, would be an issue.

It strikes me as just corny. When you're training thinking of sex or wanting to see sexual images seems like it would be the furthest things from any dudes mind. Seems like something for an attention hungry dweeb.

I don't know if offended is the word I would use, but I definitely think that gyms that allow stuff like this don't care about making their female patrons feel comfortable.

Whatever a person wants to wear under their gi is their business. But that's the only way the Angel gear would get anywhere near the mat at our academy.

This is one of the very few up sides to the GB dress code: nobody has to look at anything truly tasteless. When someone shows up with gear that doesn't pass muster for whatever reason, loaner pants are available. In fact they're mandatory.

Yes; because the lady with the two deadly weapons, crossed, is pregnant. - E

no. but the gear is obnoxious though. very obnoxious

it just looks retarded who wear something like that

But on second thought if someone was really funny and outgoing and they wore that everyone would probably think it was pretty funny

Not offensive, just douchey and a little weird to want boner-inspiring designs while you're rolling around with other men.

It's like a half assed collage you might expect to find inside your high schools resident pot selling, wannabe gangster's locker.

I wouldn't be offended, but that's some hideous stuff right there. Absolutely ridiculous.

So, if a man were to wear gear like this, exactly what kind of attention would he be looking for from his straight male teammates?

If a woman were to wear gear like this, it's obvious she's chasing sausage. She'd get the daylights beaten out of her by the other women.

No, but I would mercilessly mock whoever wears anything like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back