Would fighters make more effort not to miss weight

Gervais

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If every contract said you miss weight you will get paid nothing and fight is cacelled? Making weigt is really easy. All you are told is you cant weigh more than this in 5-6 weeks from now. But the desire to get as close as possible would be gone and fighters woukd give themselves far more margins in their weight cutting

If every contract said you miss weight you will get paid nothing and fight is cacelled? Making weigt is really easy. All you are told is you cant weigh more than this in 5-6 weeks from now. But the desire to get as close as possible would be gone and fighters woukd give themselves far more margins in their weight cutting

1. UFC will not cancel a fight for that reason
2. UFC doesn't really care if you make weight or not.
3. They don't make weight on purpose, a lot of times
4. No, it's not "really easy" to cut weight.

/thread.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...to-even-try-to-make-weight-heres-why.3867241/

This restriction has become so cheapened over the years like a lot of things.

If this was purely competitive sport the violations would be punished more severely, like if this were an olympic sport, for instance.

But MMA is mostly prize fighting/entertainment.

I mean no disrespect but most Sherdoggers by my estimate would make horrible project managers, with all the risk analysis considered and everything.

Easy? She was on her period you insensitive misogynist, you wouldn't understand.......

<DisgustingHHH>

1. UFC will not cancel a fight for that reason
2. UFC doesn't really care if you make weight or not.
3. They don't make weight on purpose, a lot of times
4. No, it's not "really easy" to cut weight.

/thread.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...to-even-try-to-make-weight-heres-why.3867241/

You know who is worse than a fighter missing weight on purpose to get an advantage over his opponent? Someone who tries to /thread with his own post.

<{clintugh}>

There are some boundaries of decency you simply do not cross.

Boy, you shut him down real quick lol
\

jsNTz0M.gif

You know who is worse than a fighter missing weight on purpose to get an advantage over his opponent? Someone who tries to /thread with his own post.

<{clintugh}>

There are some boundaries of decency you simply do not cross.

Let's talk about me a little bit more.
What else do you like about me? What do you dislike?

If a fighter misses weight, along with the usual punishment of 20% purse, he/she has to take the next fight at a higher weight class, no ifs and butts.

After a fight at the higher weight class, maybe the fighter will feel better fighting there and stay in that weight class for example Rumble Johnson.

If the fighter still wants to fight at the lower weight class after one fight at a higher weight class, then they should be allowed to but their punishment is doubled for the next time so basically if they miss weight again, then 40% of the purse and next two fights mandatory at a higher weight class. And the punishment keeps on going like that until the fighter misses for the 5th time then he/she is just banned from fighting in that weight class. I doubt they'd reach this point though.

Short notice fights should be an exception.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The ufc just has to take it seriously again. Simple as that. Missing weight was a huge deal back in the day and fighters got cut over it

What do you guys think?

That it will not happen, because:
1. UFC don't care enough
2. If they WILL care, they'll prefer someone like Calvillo moving further into title contention at 115 (they like her and market her) than jumping into another division and starting with zero

The ufc just has to take it seriously again. Simple as that. Missing weight was a huge deal back in the day and fighters got cut over it

They are serious. Over money.
This is not a question of their interest, or the issue of their concern

Yes it's been discussed before (but so has basically everything) so if you aren't interested just keep moving.

I feel something needs to be done to ensure fighters are properly discouraged from missing weight, opponents aren't overly disadvantaged and fight fans get to see the fight that was booked.

My solution which I feel ticks all boxes is fairly simple, easy to implement and wouldn't effect betting on the event.

If you miss weight you can not win the fight, your options are lose or no contest. You failed to met the requirements for entry to the fight as such you can't possibly win. Currently it is advantageous to miss weight on a big fight if winning gets you a title shot.

If your opponent misses your options are win or no contest. Currently the biggest loser when someone misses weight is the opponent, sure they get a small bump in pay for risking their win record. This way sure they may suffer a highlight reel loss but they don't have a loss on their record.

The precedent for this already exists with drug testing failures.
This is over and above the existing 20% purse deduction, which is insignificant when compared to the value of a loss when renewing a contract.

Thoughts?

They are serious. Over money.
This is not a question of their interest, or the issue of their concern
The 20% rule has always been there though. What I am saying is there used to be more ramifications than that and now there is not

In a perfect world, you might be onto something

The UFC don't work in a perfect world though

The 20% rule has always been there though.

It's 20% of peanuts that goes to opponent anyway. UFC neither gain nor lose from this.

What I am saying is there used to be more ramifications than that and now there is not

That's because UFC belongs now to the corporation that doesn't care about the sport or fighters' safety

The 20% rule has always been there though. What I am saying is there used to be more ramifications than that and now there is not
Exactly. Didn't they force Gastelum to move up as well as Jonny and Rumble for repeated violations?

Yes it's been discussed before (but so has basically everything) so if you aren't interested just keep moving.

I feel something needs to be done to ensure fighters are properly discouraged from missing weight, opponents aren't overly disadvantaged and fight fans get to see the fight that was booked.

My solution which I feel ticks all boxes is fairly simple, easy to implement and wouldn't effect betting on the event.

If you miss weight you can not win the fight, your options are lose or no contest. You failed to met the requirements for entry to the fight as such you can't possibly win. Currently it is advantageous to miss weight on a big fight if winning gets you a title shot.

If your opponent misses your options are win or no contest. Currently the biggest loser when someone misses weight is the opponent, sure they get a small bump in pay for risking their win record. This way sure they may suffer a highlight reel loss but they don't have a loss on their record.

The precedent for this already exists with drug testing failures.
This is over and above the existing 20% purse deduction, which is insignificant when compared to the value of a loss when renewing a contract.

Thoughts?

Ask yourself this question right now:
Which result will look better in UFC eyes - Botelho by DQ (opponent missed weight), or Calvillo by submission 1st round?

/thread.

The solution is your walk around weight is your weight class.

Just as usada does random testing, they should do random weigh ins. If you're fucken Darren Till and walking around at 205 lbs or whatever it is, then you're a LHW and that's that.

Dudes would have no problems making weight if they weren't attempting to drop stupid amounts like 30 lbs.

Back