Would fighters make more effort not to miss weight

Yes it's been discussed before (but so has basically everything) so if you aren't interested just keep moving.

I feel something needs to be done to ensure fighters are properly discouraged from missing weight, opponents aren't overly disadvantaged and fight fans get to see the fight that was booked.

My solution which I feel ticks all boxes is fairly simple, easy to implement and wouldn't effect betting on the event.

If you miss weight you can not win the fight, your options are lose or no contest. You failed to met the requirements for entry to the fight as such you can't possibly win. Currently it is advantageous to miss weight on a big fight if winning gets you a title shot.

If your opponent misses your options are win or no contest. Currently the biggest loser when someone misses weight is the opponent, sure they get a small bump in pay for risking their win record. This way sure they may suffer a highlight reel loss but they don't have a loss on their record.

The precedent for this already exists with drug testing failures.
This is over and above the existing 20% purse deduction, which is insignificant when compared to the value of a loss when renewing a contract.

Thoughts?

First miss: 25% of purse, lose a point in the first round.
Second miss: 50% of purse, begin lose a point in first and second round, 1 year suspension.
Third miss: Fight cancelled, 2 year suspension, must move up weight class and opponent gets at least show money.

Implement that missing weight will stop real quick.

How about we let fighters take whatever it was that helped their cuts that they now can't because of USADA?

So why would a fighter who missed weight even take a fight that he/she can't win?

They would all back out and wait for another fight when they actually make weight.

Money is the answer. If you miss weight, you are losing 70% of your purse and if you don't fight (back out because you don't want to pay) this will transfer onto your next fight so you are for sure losing 70% of your money. Then they would think twice about fucking up their weight.

Dumb idea.

Would ruin records.

If a guy wins, he wins.

Take away his money.

40% of money goes to opponent + any win bonus(es) go to opponent.

Guarantee you that would change things quick.

The problem with that is it doesn't remedy anything in the actual fight. I like docking them a point in the first round in addition to the financial penalties.

So why would a fighter who missed weight even take a fight that he/she can't win?

They would all back out and wait for another fight when they actually make weight.

Money is the answer. If you miss weight, you are losing 70% of your purse and if you don't fight (back out because you don't want to pay) this will transfer onto your next fight so you are for sure losing 70% of your money. Then they would think twice about fucking up their weight.

Not showing up for the weigh-in = missing weight.

Stupid is one fighter "missing weight" by x lbs (say 2) and then on fight night the opponent who "made weight" is 10 lbs heavier. F the "unfair advantage" => -20% purse b.s!

If you miss weight you should get pulled from the card and receive no show money.

Are you aware of how rarely the opponent turns down an overweight fighter?

They have plenty to lose and suffer the wrath for doing so, that shit situation should belong to the fighter who caused it.

Of course the opponent doesn't turn it down. They're getting their pay +20% of the other guys.

The tubbo will turn it down, because they have nothing to gain.

How about we start cutting off body parts until the proper weight is made?

I'll bet this problem disappears overnight.
This is the only plausible solution.

Math is not your friend.
What is a fighter's financial punishment for the 4th and 5th offence?
Bu double I meant double the first time, triple the third time so 4th time 80% and 100% purse 5th time with 5 fights at a higher weight class, so basically keep adding 20% purse and a fight at a higher weight class with every missed weight instance. I doubt it'd reach the point of 4th or 5th violation.

Bu double I meant double the first time, triple the third time so 4th time 80% and 100% purse 5th time with 5 fights at a higher weight class, so basically keep adding 20% purse and a fight at a higher weight class with every missed weight instance. I doubt it'd reach the point of 4th or 5th violation.
Okay I got you now. I was just doubling it so the 4th was already 160% LOL

Don't like that idea, because once a fighter moves up a weight class, often they find it very difficult to move back down again (more trouble than they originally had cutting to make that weight).

I agree with the forced fights at a higher weight class but a 40% fine is for the second offense is excessive. Keep it at 20% and just make them fight at a higher weight class for 2 fights. The easiest way to fix it would be the least fan friendly...if you miss weight then you don’t fight. Hopefully an opponent can be found for the fighter who MADE weight. As the fighter who missed weight, you just spent a bunch of money on a training camp and now you have no fight/income. I would make an exception for PPV main card fighters...just fine them and make them fight a weight class up next fight.

The ufc just has to take it seriously again. Simple as that. Missing weight was a huge deal back in the day and fighters got cut over it

Miss weight and lose 40% of your purse. and a point in round 1. Itll solve every single issue out there.

I really don't think that would happen.

Look at how often guys turn down overweight opponents, it's very rare. Certainly not the norm.

The penalty needs to be non financial as well, otherwise it can simply be a business decision to not make weight take a small hit to career earnings in the reasonable belief a win would recoup lost earnings.

Think Romero rockhold, Romero came in over, rockhold accepted as they basically always do, then Romero got the win and recouped his loses with a title shot. Yoel fucked up, rockhold paid, that's clearly a shit system.

You know who is worse than a fighter missing weight on purpose to get an advantage over his opponent? Someone who tries to /thread with his own post.

<{clintugh}>

There are some boundaries of decency you simply do not cross.
What's "/thread" mean? I'm new around here.

Back