Would fighters make more effort not to miss weight

If the fighter misses weight the fight is off and the full purse goes to the opponent, how about that?

Bring in hydration tests at the weigh in, if you're not over a certain threshold of hydration then you can't fight. Problem solved.

Might C&P this into my signature.

Should be weekly testing and weighing for everybody. Clean fighters fighting at their true walk-around weight. Quit this marginal advantage bullshit.

Or don't, go completely the other way. Allow everyone to juice and cut weight to within an inch of their lives. Either way, bored to death hearing about who can borderline cheat the most.

Have 15 fight cards, and also the fighter who misses weight will be forced to go up.

They do have a lot of fights, but that doesn't matter that they want to cancel even one.
They just don't. They don't see a reason to do so.

And they're not always interested in fighter going up. Depends on his position.
Romero, for example, is more valuable for them as MW contender than LHW...what?

I hear u.
That said, that’s a bit steep.

Maybe oaycut should be if it isn’t already, lb/% based.. which I kinda think it’s like that.

I don’t think wme/ufc would ever do that cause stars and non stars fuck up.

First miss is 100% of your purse and second should be out the door.

Ask yourself this question right now:
Which result will look better in UFC eyes - Botelho by DQ (opponent missed weight), or Calvillo by submission 1st round?

/thread.

Did I mention a DQ?

Bring in hydration tests at the weigh in, if you're not over a certain threshold of hydration then you can't fight. Problem solved.

That would be a tandem system and anyway would result in cancelled fight which no one wants

If a fighter misses weight, along with the usual punishment of 20% purse, he/she has to take the next fight at a higher weight class, no ifs and butts.

After a fight at the higher weight class, maybe the fighter will feel better fighting there and stay in that weight class for example Rumble Johnson.

If the fighter still wants to fight at the lower weight class after one fight at a higher weight class, then they should be allowed to but their punishment is doubled for the next time so basically if they miss weight again, then 40% of the purse and next two fights mandatory at a higher weight class. And the punishment keeps on going like that until the fighter misses for the 5th time then he/she is just banned from fighting in that weight class. I doubt they'd reach this point though.

Short notice fights should be an exception.

What do you guys think?

I think Sherdoggers over estimate the power that a promoter has over a fighter to make him fight at all, let alone at a weight class he doesn't want to fight at for less money than he was expecting to make.

It's always the fighter's prerogative to take his jock and go home. Always. That factors into the size of the fine and other consequences associated with missing weight and other no-nos.

That's what I think.

Needs progressive punishment.

1st offence 20% purse
2nd offence 40% and banned from title fight for 18 months
3rd 60% banned from title fight for 24 months

50% 1st time 100% 2nd time, end of problem.

So... you miss weight and get given the choice of:
A) Fight and win and get a NC
B) Fight and lose or get a loss

Surprisingly, every single fighter would take option C:
C) Don't bother fighting at all

How about we start cutting off body parts until the proper weight is made?

I'll bet this problem disappears overnight.

The problem with those proposals is that at some point it doesn't even make sense fighting.
So you get a 20% and 30% deduction out of your 10k.
And you can't win the 10k that would be on the line in case you won.

So instead of fighting for 10k/10k, you're fighting for 8k, and then you have to pay taxes, trainers etc. And you don't even get to have a victory on your record. Why even bother

Back