Worst cheap shot in Boxing History?

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What in your opinion is the worst cheap shot in boxing history?

I forget the name of the fighter but that coach that suckered a guy who was (hitting his fighter late) the second clip in that video.

I still get pissed about the Floyd one on Ortiz even though I understand the whole "protect yourself at all times" thing

Still not sure why Floyd wasnt DQ'ed in the Judah fight when his team entered the ring

Oh, i forgot about the Bowe-Mathis fight as well

Why were they both not DQ'd?

Last edited:
What in your opinion is the worst cheap shot in boxing history?

I forget the name of the fighter but that coach that suckered a guy who was (hitting his fighter late) the second clip in that video.

I still get pissed about the Floyd one on Ortiz even though I understand the whole "protect yourself at all times" thing

Haha. That was the first one that popped up in my mind.

The Coach suckerpunching the fighter was pretty bad. Dude should have been banned from boxing for a long time.

My man James Butler from Uptown.

I still don''t know what people expected Floyd to do. Anyone else would've knocked his ass out too. It wasn't illegal and it wasn't a suckerpunch, boxing isn't a game of "wait until he's protecting himself" to throw a punch. Guys get KO'd all the time for not protecting themselves sufficiently.

I guess he was supposed to step away ask Ortiz if he's ready, tell him to put up his fist cause I'm going to start punching now...Some of you don't know the sport at all or you let your hate for a guy cloud your sense of rationale.

This is the one I was thinking of. Guy turned out to be a murderer too.
Yea. That sucker punch was at a charity event too. Guy got arrested for it. I think pretty much immediately after.

I still don''t know what people expected Floyd to do. Anyone else would've knocked his ass out too. It wasn't illegal and it wasn't a suckerpunch, boxing isn't a game of "wait until he's protecting himself" to throw a punch. Guys get KO'd all the time for not protecting themselves sufficiently.

I guess he was supposed to step away ask Ortiz if he's ready, tell him to put up his fist cause I'm going to start punching now...Some of you don't know the sport at all or you let your hate for a guy cloud your sense of rationale.

Well, this part because open to debate, and I'm sure you'll agree there. There is a profound truth that the number one rule, above everything else is this: protect yourself at all times.

I am a firm believer in this rule because it is a fight, and things like a stray punch at the bell can happen.

But Floyd was doing some of his own more subtle dirty stuff inside with his elbows, whereas Ortiz was being mangy but in more overt ways. Floyd being so incredulous that he felt he had to sucker punch a guy for something that he himself was a part of speaks more to entitlement than it does anything else.

If Floyd was willingly engaging in those little dirty things on the inside, why would he feel so indignant?

That's a legitimate question, and if one were to overlook it, then they'd be courting ignorance out of bias for their own preferred fighter, in which case, their position seems rather invalid.

I've been wondering the answer to this question for a while: why would Floyd be so indignant when the opponent was simply giving back what he himself was willfully engaging in?

Canelo cheating us of the rematch is the ultimate cheap shot!

Well, this part because open to debate, and I'm sure you'll agree there. There is a profound truth that the number one rule, above everything else is this: protect yourself at all times.

I am a firm believer in this rule because it is a fight, and things like a stray punch at the bell can happen.

But Floyd was doing some of his own more subtle dirty stuff inside with his elbows, whereas Ortiz was being mangy but in more overt ways. Floyd being so incredulous that he felt he had to sucker punch a guy for something that he himself was a part of speaks more to entitlement than it does anything else.

If Floyd was willingly engaging in those little dirty things on the inside, why would he feel so indignant?

That's a legitimate question, and if one were to overlook it, then they'd be courting ignorance out of bias for their own preferred fighter, in which case, their position seems rather invalid.

I've been wondering the answer to this question for a while: why would Floyd be so indignant when the opponent was simply giving back what he himself was willfully engaging in?
Wait was Floyd headbutting Ortiz? What was Floyd engaging in that warranted a blatant intentional headbutt? Tieing up is NOT illegal, and it's the referees responsibility to separate them when they get tied up, even when one guy initiates it. "Little dirty things" as you call it versus an intentional headbutt, come on dude, are those the same??? To you really think that? I'd be a little pissed too if I was playing within the rules (with referees policing), and my opponent deliberately did something to me that is not only outside of any rules of engagement but can also potentially cause permanent physical damage. You can't possibly try to whitewash these as the same.

Get over it man, Ortiz was in a fight with the most Elite boxer on the planet and was not mentally prepared to deal with the shit he hadn't even known existed before on the inside. He was frustrated and wanted to make Floyd pay somehow for his frustration and the only thing not tied up was his head...

You keep saying sucker punch but the clock had started, the referee waved them to fight, they hugged once and he punched on the first break, like he does a lot. And if you follow Floyd's history he did the same thing in the Gatti fight on a break, he hit Gatti before he expected it, Gatti wanted to complain and dropped his hands and Floyd jumped in a clocked him. Thus getting a legit Knock down.

As far as indignant, hmm looks more like a guy that comes to the ring ornery and ready to fight and will make you pay for being lazy and not protecting yourself when you should. You guys cry too much about Floyd.

I ask again.....how should he have handled it? How do you expect a world class fighter to enter the ring as a nice guy or as a killer.

It was Ortiz's fault for being an unprepared bonehead getting caught in a relaxed state. You don't think Miguel Cotto wouldn't have hit Ortiz like that? Or Canelo, or Keith Thurman or Errol Spence after the first hug with Ortiz still standing there with his arms wide at his waist?
That was just stupid......but you guys would rather Floyd said, "put your hands up, lets go, you ready, come on???"

Ok so the argument could be, well it wasnt sportsmanlike, maybe he should've waited until Ortiz was REALLY ready to reconvene.
Well dude, it's BOXING! You don't get points for being a nice guy in the ring. As long as it's within the timed regulation during a round and the punch is legal and after a ref has said or signalled "go" then it's all game, you get caught slippin that's your fault not the other guy.
I just don't see how THAT particular KO can be considered a suckerpunch when there are MUCH MUCH better examples already posted in this thread.

Last edited:

I'd imagine that that huge sense of entitlement in the ring is somehting of a mental strength for him during fights

I'm a big Bowe fan, but Riddick Bowe's cheap shot against Larry Donald at a press conference was really bad.

Floyd's punch wasn't a sucker punch. The ref had told both guys to start fighting again - Ortiz doesn't get to decide not to fight just because he wants to give Floyd another kiss. How long was Floyd suppose to wait for Ortiz to get ready after Cortez brought them back together and said "box"? Victor doesn't get to dictate that.

It's also telling that Ortiz gets popped, and still doesn't defend himself. At that point, he probably should've realize that it's time to fight. He pulled that because he wanted out of the fight, and it's not the first time he's done it.

It's hard to say "Floyd must be entitled" when he didn't do anything wrong in that scenario. Even if Victor didn't hear or see Cortez, it's not Floyd's job to make sure he did. The ref told them to fight, he even gave Ortiz a few more moments to get ready before he attacked. Ortiz is an idiot and all blame for how that fight ended rests with him.

Still not sure why Floyd wasnt DQ'ed in the Judah fight when his team entered the ring

Oh, i forgot about the Bowe-Mathis fight as well

Why were they both not DQ'd?
Likely because time had been called.
Its up to the referee. He chose to remove Roger instead.

Wait was Floyd headbutting Ortiz? What was Floyd engaging in that warranted a blatant intentional headbutt? Tieing up is NOT illegal, and it's the referees responsibility to separate them when they get tied up, even when one guy initiates it. "Little dirty things" as you call it versus an intentional headbutt, come on dude, are those the same??? To you really think that? I'd be a little pissed too if I was playing within the rules (with referees policing), and my opponent deliberately did something to me that is not only outside of any rules of engagement but can also potentially cause permanent physical damage. You can't possibly try to whitewash these as the same.

Get over it man, Ortiz was in a fight with the most Elite boxer on the planet and was not mentally prepared to deal with the shit he hadn't even known existed before on the inside. He was frustrated and wanted to make Floyd pay somehow for his frustration and the only thing not tied up was his head...

You keep saying sucker punch but the clock had started, the referee waved them to fight, they hugged once and he punched on the first break, like he does a lot. And if you follow Floyd's history he did the same thing in the Gatti fight on a break, he hit Gatti before he expected it, Gatti wanted to complain and dropped his hands and Floyd jumped in a clocked him. Thus getting a legit Knock down.

As far as indignant, hmm looks more like a guy that comes to the ring ornery and ready to fight and will make you pay for being lazy and not protecting yourself when you should. You guys cry too much about Floyd.

I ask again.....how should he have handled it? How do you expect a world class fighter to enter the ring as a nice guy or as a killer.

It was Ortiz's fault for being an unprepared bonehead getting caught in a relaxed state. You don't think Miguel Cotto wouldn't have hit Ortiz like that? Or Canelo, or Keith Thurman or Errol Spence after the first hug with Ortiz still standing there with his arms wide at his waist?
That was just stupid......but you guys would rather Floyd said, "put your hands up, lets go, you ready, come on???"

Ok so the argument could be, well it wasnt sportsmanlike, maybe he should've waited until Ortiz was REALLY ready to reconvene.
Well dude, it's BOXING! You don't get points for being a nice guy in the ring. As long as it's within the timed regulation during a round and the punch is legal and after a ref has said or signalled "go" then it's all game, you get caught slippin that's your fault not the other guy.
I just don't see how THAT particular KO can be considered a suckerpunch when there are MUCH MUCH better examples already posted in this thread.

I prefaced what I said with the acknowledgement that it is a fight and one ought to protect himself at all times. I also said Mayweather was using his forearms and elbows on the inside. I also said that Ortiz was at fault.

I don't have to get over anything as I already know that both men were wrong and then Mayweather chose to be - or feigned being - indignant when he was just as guilty but in more subversive ways.

That last observation, which is plain as day, doesn't mean I don't accept what I had originally began my post with.

I don't really care how desperately you want to justify Mayweather's behaviour, I simply said that it is an awful flagrant grey area he chose to exist in and thus will cause debate - and, as such, will not develop any clarity (as your remarks are proving to me now). This is not disputable.

Floyd's punch wasn't a sucker punch. The ref had told both guys to start fighting again - Ortiz doesn't get to decide not to fight just because he wants to give Floyd another kiss. How long was Floyd suppose to wait for Ortiz to get ready after Cortez brought them back together and said "box"? Victor doesn't get to dictate that.

It's also telling that Ortiz gets popped, and still doesn't defend himself. At that point, he probably should've realize that it's time to fight. He pulled that because he wanted out of the fight, and it's not the first time he's done it.

It's hard to say "Floyd must be entitled" when he didn't do anything wrong in that scenario. Even if Victor didn't hear or see Cortez, it's not Floyd's job to make sure he did. The ref told them to fight, he even gave Ortiz a few more moments to get ready before he attacked. Ortiz is an idiot and all blame for how that fight ended rests with him.

If you are recalcitrant about someone's behaviour that is more overt but just as illegal as your own dirty tricks; if you scowl at his equal temerity, then you are putting yourself in a ready position to be perceived as entitled.

Also, please read how I initiated my original post. It didn't say I disagreed with the rule "protect yourself at all times." Additionally, I said that Mayweather's behaviour would generate some debate because it was so divisive (your response only proves my overall point to be correct). I'm not sure why you are out to get a post that acknowledged both sides and accepted that debate would ensue from a behaviour in the ring...

Back