Worst cheap shot in Boxing History?

Still not sure why Floyd wasnt DQ'ed in the Judah fight when his team entered the ring

Oh, i forgot about the Bowe-Mathis fight as well

Why were they both not DQ'd?
That was the corner throwing in the towel. Yeah he's been gifted 2 fights in my book.

That's about one place where it works in a human's favour.

Yeah, I mean I think the guy is a piece of shit with a terrible attitude outside of the ring, but when the Ortiz cheap shot happened my first reaction was to respect his mental game when treating an opponent with that much disdain and viciousness, while remaining within the rules and in control, is the thing that comes to his mind in the heat of the moment after getting fouled back

If you are recalcitrant about someone's behaviour that is more overt but just as illegal as your own dirty tricks; if you scowl at his equal temerity, then you are putting yourself in a ready position to be perceived as entitled.

Also, please read how I initiated my original post. It didn't say I disagreed with the rule "protect yourself at all times." Additionally, I said that Mayweather's behaviour would generate some debate because it was so divisive (your response only proves my overall point to be correct). I'm not sure why you are out to get a post that acknowledged both sides and accepted that debate would ensue from a behaviour in the ring...

I simply disagree with all that you've read into it. He didn't do anything wrong, so I don't see how what he did demonstrates anything other than him doing what he was brought in there to do.

Last edited:
Likely because time had been called.
Its up to the referee. He chose to remove Roger instead.

Sounds like a gimme to keep Mayweathers record protected.

Any excuse for the Bowe one?

They called it an unintentional foul. No contest.
I thought that should have been a clear cut DQ. I think it was Hazzard that rushed into the ring to discuss the situation to make sure he wasn't DQ'd. Going from memory so I may be a little off.

I simply disagree with all that you've read into it. He didn't do anything wrong, so I don't see how what he did demonstrates anything other than him doing what he was brought in there to do.

That's fine. Agree to disagree. That's about how most of the threads of this nature go anyway.

bowe hitting larry donald at the press conference was pretty bad, his mathis thing could be somewhat excused because when an opponent takes a knee (which probably shouldn't be allowed) it doesn't read as a knockdown to the other fighter immediately. the elijah tillery thing was a fiasco. pros shouldn't be doing those kinds of things but since ali, they think it's ok to build the gate, makes the sport look bad though, even if the casuals love it.

What in your opinion is the worst cheap shot in boxing history?

I forget the name of the fighter but that coach that suckered a guy who was (hitting his fighter late) the second clip in that video.

I still get pissed about the Floyd one on Ortiz even though I understand the whole "protect yourself at all times" thing

Does the Tyson "chomp" count bruv?

Floyd's wasn't a suckerpunch lol
People hate that guy so much (for justified and stupid reasons), they forget to mention

1) Ortiz was pulling all kinds of shenanigans during that fight
2) The punch wasn't illegal
3) Ortiz is a clown

The Butler foul, after the fight, wearing handwraps, is definitely the worst.

Papke's foul at the beginning of his rematch against Ketchel deserves mention. The repercussions can be seen to this day with boxers touching gloves before the opening bell.

Bowe/Donald at the presser was bad. Larry Donald was/is a nice guy and I think he was shook. He was boxing well going into that matchup and I felt like that messed him up before the first bell sounded in that one. That was really fucked up.

Back