Working the body in mma

Babe Ruthen was known for eating liver.

Fuck 'Curt Hennig' was the best, he can sell a move like no other, just like Bret Hart.
The only problem with body shots,...hard to commit to them because you leave yourself open for a counter,....I think its why fighters shy away from using it more often.

I think their starting to get a bit more use. Aaron Pico just had back to back body shot finishes.

It's too bad RDA couldn't get off more. I re-watched him vs. Nate recently and after 4-5 kicks Nate could barely walk. I wish he had more space to work, but Colby smothered him.
True.
Colby did a good job though,but IMHO the onus of the loss is on RDA by not standing his position and fight for the center of the cage.

You CANT just keep going backwards in a straight line against a wrestler.

Bas back in the pioneer days... make you piss blood for a week.

Body shots on the ground are even more underutilized. How many times do we see people turtled up protecting their heads and the fighter on top just sits there looking for an opening instead of banging the body? They often don't even do it when they have mount and the fighter on the bottom is trying to protect his head.

I'm not a fighter so the only reason i can think of for why they don't do this more is they're afraid of gassing.
Couldn’t agree more.
But as it is right now the top position function in the UFC is just to rest or to open a cut on your adversary trying to bet in a stoppage.

For body shots in MMA, watch a Chris Lytle fight. Guy ripped to the body better than anyone today.

Body shots on the ground are even more underutilized. How many times do we see people turtled up protecting their heads and the fighter on top just sits there looking for an opening instead of banging the body? They often don't even do it when they have mount and the fighter on the bottom is trying to protect his head.

I'm not a fighter so the only reason i can think of for why they don't do this more is they're afraid of gassing.

you can definitely rest and still have an attack going on. similar to Cain. he rests all the time in the clinch, and just uses little punches to keep his opponents on the defensive while he rests. it's like an active rest period.

this actually conserves energy because it doesn't take much to pick your arm up and punch a guy with little effort, and the opponent will overcompensate because he isn't sure if it will be a real punch thus keeping the opponent in a shell. if you DON'T attack, the opponent can begin to scramble at any moment. which is why i don't know why fighters don't watch Cain and realize it's not that his cardio is ridiculous, it's that he's very smart with how he rests.

Masvidal works the body every fight, very crisp left hook to the body

I've wondered the same, body shots are one of those things as soon as someone starts having massive success a bunch of fighters will start using it again mma is very trendy in terms of fighting styles and such.

True.
Colby did a good job though,but IMHO the onus of the loss is on RDA by not standing his position and fight for the center of the cage.

You CANT just keep going backwards in a straight line against a wrestler.

Yeah, it's just that RDA has never been good on the back foot, and it's hard to stand your ground against a wrestler who is jump kneeing at your face. All RDA really needed to win that fight was better footwork moving backwards. I think he laid an egg there and he'll come back looking better than ever.

Last edited:
He hurt Colby twice one with a knee early in the fights and another with a nice body shot. Really never went back to the body after the 2nd rd

I think RDA was more so mentally broke than anything. That's a fight he could have won with a smarter gameplan.

5 ounce gloves just let mma fighters get to the chin easier so guys get lazy

Even punching technique is sloppy in mma despite it being a top weapon, again due to danger of 5 ounce gloves

Mark munoz

Outside of the diaz bros and holloway who often work the body

He did alot of good body work especially agaisnt tim boetsch and Leben IIRC

Yeah, it's just that RDA has never been good on the back foot, and it's hard to stand your ground against a wrestler who is jump kneeing at your face. All RDA really needed to win that fight was better footwork moving backwards. I think he laid an egg there and he'll come back looking better than ever.
I hope you’re right.
Im afraid his weak spot was found by Khabobs and certified by Colby.
Pressure,overwhelming pressure.

Body shot vs head shot..

Guy ran into the punch and probably has no chin too. Had he not rushed in the fight would've been over for the liver shot victim. Bad example to try to justify head hunting over body work. Body work (from the right fighters) > Head hunting or even leg kicking.

WBCzZoj.gif

Back