Working the body in mma

podsox

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Is it the most underutilized tool currently in mma? It seems that every fight is filled with head hunting and leg kicks while standing. Eddie vs gaethje is one of the few times in recent memory that s guy actually attacked the body.

Body shot vs head shot..

WBCzZoj.gif

Is it the most underutilized tool currently in mma? It seems that every fight is filled with head hunting and leg kicks while standing. Eddie vs gaethje is one of the few times in recent memory that s guy actually attacked the body.
Body work is a very high risk low reward when you have at best 25 minutes ti end the fight and the only thing the adversary needs to do to rest is LnP/WnS on you for 10 minutes without worrying.
Ask RDA.

Babe Ruthen was known for eating liver.

Body shots are way underutilized in MMA, unless you are Nick Diaz.

Sooooo many times guys burn themselves out punching an opponents arms against the cage. I would love to see more body shots. They are debilitating and can easily change the course of the fight. Everyone wants the big overhand KO punch.

The best ever...
tumblr_lv32m8PJV31qj9wpwo1_500.gif

Everytime I read a Max Holloway quote my brain automatically plugs in "and the best is blessed baby!" after it in that high nasally voice

Body shots on the ground are even more underutilized. How many times do we see people turtled up protecting their heads and the fighter on top just sits there looking for an opening instead of banging the body? They often don't even do it when they have mount and the fighter on the bottom is trying to protect his head.

I'm not a fighter so the only reason i can think of for why they don't do this more is they're afraid of gassing.

Body shots do have their place in mma, but not as much as they do in boxing.

Something like...
Body shots on the ground are even more underutilized. How many times do we see people turtled up protecting their heads and the fighter on top just sits there looking for an opening instead of banging the body? They often don't even do it when they have mount and the fighter on the bottom is trying to protect his head.

I'm not a fighter so the only reason i can think of for why they don't do this more is they're afraid of gassing.
G3T9zr

Max Holloway has made a career out of going to the body.

Body work is a very high risk low reward when you have at best 25 minutes ti end the fight and the only thing the adversary needs to do to rest is LnP/WnS on you for 10 minutes without worrying.
Ask RDA.

It's too bad RDA couldn't get off more. I re-watched him vs. Nate recently and after 4-5 kicks Nate could barely walk. I wish he had more space to work, but Colby smothered him.

It's too bad RDA couldn't get off more. I re-watched him vs. Nate recently and after 4-5 kicks Nate could barely walk. I wish he had more space to work, but Colby smothered him.
He hurt Colby twice one with a knee early in the fights and another with a nice body shot. Really never went back to the body after the 2nd rd

Something like...

G3T9zr

For some reason that image doesn't work on sherdog but I was able to copy and paste the link and it worked. And yes, that's a good example. One of the best was GSP's rematch with Matt Serra where he kneed the hell out of his body.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back