Woodley Upset He's Not a Draw Like GSP: "I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges"

Who are you a fan of?

• Total voters
GSP and Conor are arguably the only two fighters to become real life superstars (oh yeah, almost forgot E Rhonda). All have or had impressive wins, but they also had an "X" factor that has nothing to do with actually fighting. Conor has the charisma. Ronda had the benefit of being the first dominant female fighter (sorry, not counting that can crusher cyborg). I'll get flamed for being flaming, but GSP is famous because women like to watch him fight. He got women into the sport of mma based off his impressive looks and physique. I remember one of my boyz back in the day went to a UFC event with his woman, and she made him help her stalk GSP until they found him at a hotel. Total cuck move. Anyways, to dumb it down for Tyrone, they all generate PPV buys.

Tyrone doesn't generate buys because there are relatively few actual fans of fighting. It's not because he's boring, I think most real fight fans understand his style. People need to be captivated by the narrative, like a real life version of WWE.

Give credit where its due. The dude managed to suffer brain damage in fights where nothing happened. Great accomplishment imo.

Tyrone doesn't generate buys because there are relatively few actual fans of fighting. It's not because he's boring, I think most real fight fans understand his style.
No, it's because he is boring. The constant whining doesn't help either, but mainly it's the boring.

Woodley is a talented fighter with a promising future but after his last two performances where he did NOTHING he needs to shut up & focus on being the champion & actually fighting. GSP might not have been exciting to everyone but he at least engaged with his opponents & dominated them whilst recently Woodley has been more evasive than Machida.

Sure, you have Tyron: You have less fights than GSP but already more losses; you have avenged none of your losses while GSP avenged both of his; and while GSP has 9 title defenses and most wins in title fights in UFC history you have already two title defenses and a draw. No doubt, you have surpassed GSP. Now take a knee and shut the fuck up.

Delusion is strong in Tyron. I have nothing against believing in yourself but this is fucking stupidy.

In an age where title reigns are becoming more defined by the money fights a champion pursues than the traditional meritocracy associated with the UFC, Tyron Woodley is something of a throwback. Since winning the welterweight strap at UFC 201 last July, Woodley has defended the belt three times - each time against the top-ranked contender. Which isn’t to say that Woodley hasn’t tried to chase down money fights. Just hours after winning the title Woodley began calling out Georges St-Pierre, Conor McGregor, and Nick Diaz but those fights have so far eluded Woodley, particularly the most appealing one of them, St-Pierre.

. . .

Woodley has been vocal that St-Pierre is moving to middleweight for fear of him embarrassing the GOAT, and on the most recent edition of his The Morning Wood Show podcast, the champ doubled down on his assertions, saying that St-Pierre’s skills are outmoded in the new welterweight order and that he has passed the Canadian already as far as his abilities.

“Some guys have medium speed, medium power, good wrestling, good attacks. I’ve been blessed to have maximum speed, maximum explosion, maximum power, and then [Din Thomas] and Duke [Roufus] have helped me add the other stuff, economy of motion, knowing when to explode, when not to explode, how to fight five rounds. . .

“They don’t want them problems, man. He had a chance to fight me and he said no. . .

“Georges has been away for three years, almost four. By the time he gets in there, it’s gonna be just a few days shy of four years so the sport has caught up. Whatever advantage he had, whatever degree of separation he created by being such a great martial artist, people have played catchup. I think I’ve surpassed him. He was a person I looked up to but skill for skill, mindset, explosion, power, wrestling ability, timing, strategy, all those things, I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges and that’s why I want to go out there to fight him and prove it.”

. . .

But if St-Pierre wins, a McGregor call out becomes odd as the most obvious weight for that fight to happen at would be 170 pounds since McGregor has fought there twice before, but welterweight is a division currently lorded over by Woodley. The welterweight champion says doing that fight in his division while he is reigning would be disrespectful to his title.

“No, that’s a disrespect to me. . .

“[St-Pierre] probably [will call out McGregor], but he’s gonna have to be honest with the fans and say, ‘I’m here for money.” And that’s okay. There’s no shame in that. . . Just know I’m gonna call him out on that. Win, lose, or draw, I’m gonna want to fight the winner of that fight, Bisping or Georges. Then I’m going to want to come back and see all this fresh new talent in the welterweight division and I’m gonna want to show them a lesson too.”

. . .

So yet again Woodley appears to be sitting on the outside staring in as Georges St-Pierre lines up big money fight after big money fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...rre-conor-mcgregor-bout-is-a-disrespect-to-me
107t2jc.jpg

Poor Woodley lol
This.

GSP just went for Bisping because people hardly care about Woodley. It couldn't be more on-the-nose.

Being more vocal in trash talk and piling up more title defenses would be one way for Woodley to become a bigger draw I guess. Playing the victim yet another time won't.

One draw and two of the worse fights of this year = surpassing GSP

<mma4>

why isn't there a both option in the poll? I used to bash GSP a bunch for being safe or whatever. I've bashed Woodley for the same. But, to be fair, both are exceptional MMA fighters. Why can't you be a fan of both?

Cause Sherdog....dude,you have to hate at least one!

I don't think he's surpassed GSP in terms of legacy or popularity. Skill wise, he's a much more gifted and potentially more lethal version of him though.

I have literally seen nothing that tells me that....skillwise?
He's a big right hand with the division's best TDD....i honestly doubt any one in this thread could name any other part of his skill set beyond the two things I named, that are on st pierre's level even

He can't even decision a win like the expert workman in GSP

Woodley has to resort to trolling now to get his name mentioned.

This guy actually considers his draw and robbery win over Wonderboy real top level title defences

He hasn't done much to embarrass anybody, lately, except himself sometimes.

The division has obviously caught up, but George says he is better than ever, this fight needs to happen.

Current champion vs former champion who has retired without losing his belt.

Back