Wing Chun is very effective on the streetwhen you put it this way and it's now my chosen martial art

rt0026

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First off, forget about all the bullshit wing chun vs "mma/bjj/MT or other martial arts. 95% of people in the world don't train anything at all. I know many of you reading this have friends that do MT or BJJ, but this is the world of the 5%, not the majority of the world that goes to work, watches TV and goes to bed. When I say world, I mean america and equivalent.

The 5% that do train martial arts consistently are generally fairly respectful and good people and are not the ones you have to worry about on the street.

What do you have to worry about? The drunk guy wants to fight. The bum on the street that asks for money and wants to get aggressive when you dont give him any. The aggressive untrained tough guy brawlers that are going to throw wild hay makers trying to knock you out with ever punch. Wing chun is very effective against people with no training in anything.

Train wing chun for guys you may actually need to use it against like the above and you will see how good wing chun is.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this, but i'm sure there will be some

Or you can just learn how to throw punches and slip a punch.

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have pinky knuckles, born without them, so if I throw a boxers punch and land with 4 knuckles then the end of my hand will break and swell up for months. I am limited to wing chun punches that are trained to hit with only the top three knuckles

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have pinky knuckles, born without them, so if I throw a boxers punch and land with 4 knuckles then the end of my hand will break and swell up for months. I am limited to wing chun punches that are trained to hit with only the top three knuckles

I do have full pinkys...just not knuckles so when I make a fist there is just a big split apart empty space...like a boxers fracture that never healed

So, you'll be alright fighting 95% of the population. Why take the risk you walk into a person belonging to the 5% and get royally fucked up?

First off, forget about all the bullshit wing chun vs "mma/bjj/MT or other martial arts. 95% of people in the world don't train anything at all. I know many of you reading this have friends that do MT or BJJ, but this is the world of the 5%, not the majority of the world that goes to work, watches TV and goes to bed. When I say world, I mean america and equivalent.

The 5% that do train martial arts consistently are generally fairly respectful and good people and are not the ones you have to worry about on the street.

What do you have to worry about? The drunk guy wants to fight. The bum on the street that asks for money and wants to get aggressive when you dont give him any. The aggressive untrained tough guy brawlers that are going to throw wild hay makers trying to knock you out with ever punch. Wing chun is very effective against people with no training in anything.

Train wing chun for guys you may actually need to use it against like the above and you will see how good wing chun is.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this, but i'm sure there will be some

It's a question of opportunity cost. Why learn a martial art that fails against other trained people, or even just big, tough people who can take a punch and put you in a position (clinch, ground) that you're totally unprepared for? Why not train instead something widely available like Muay Thai, MMA, or BJJ that will allow you to deal with skilled people and people of various sizes? Just because you really like kung fu movies? It would be like intentionally driving a broken down beater when you could get a brand new car of the same model for the same price. There's just no reason to prefer one over the other for practical reasons, it would only be for irrational reasons of preference. Which is fine if you just really want to train kung fu rather than some MMA-proven art or MMA itself, but don't try to sell it as being equally applicable for self defense because it's simply not.

If you want to train WC, that's your choice but what's the end goal?

Are you trying to minimize damage taken during training? WC seems like it would be better in that regard I guess but iron sharpens iron and all that...

Shouldn't really be landing any punch with your pinky knuckle or the one next to it...

I'll beat up any wing chun practitioner who has ever lived in the history of mankind.

Why would you choose spending time on a Martial Art that is good on non trained guys versus a Martial Art that is good on non trained guys AND trained guys?

Anyone can hurt you, including the 95% that has no martial arts experience. In reality it matters very little, as real violence is very different from a gym.

Obviously there are the few guys who has both the mentality and the know-how. With those guys you're pretty much fucked. Still, guys with the mentality to do so can hurt you pretty bad if you're not aware.

Point is, don't underestimate anyone.

uncle Sinister has you covered.

Click bait and I fell for it, LOL!

Slow day around the house!

Wing Chun thread here is like a needle point thread on a fucking leather biker gear chat room, Haha!

Why not just learn krav maga? If all your looking for is street defense.....

I like kickboxing because I have fun sparring and really enjoy it.....its not so i can kick ass. I have no knowledge of grappling or jui jitsu so no matter how good i am, a guy who wrestled in high school could probably take me down and fuck me up if i don't knock him out asap, if i really wanted to just lsarn to defend myself, probably would go with jui jitsu or krav maga

Why not open palm strikes if you were born w/o a knuckle?

uncle Sinister has you covered.

It's a good explanation and something I naturally did when I first started to hit things, never understood why you would want to hit with all your knuckles the outer 2 are almost floating and not nearly as strong or backed up by the radius. The radius is like the spear shaft and the 2 knuckles are like the point.

Back