Wing Chun is very effective on the streetwhen you put it this way and it's now my chosen martial art

It's a question of opportunity cost. Why learn a martial art that fails against other trained people, or even just big, tough people who can take a punch and put you in a position (clinch, ground) that you're totally unprepared for? Why not train instead something widely available like Muay Thai, MMA, or BJJ that will allow you to deal with skilled people and people of various sizes? Just because you really like kung fu movies? It would be like intentionally driving a broken down beater when you could get a brand new car of the same model for the same price. There's just no reason to prefer one over the other for practical reasons, it would only be for irrational reasons of preference. Which is fine if you just really want to train kung fu rather than some MMA-proven art or MMA itself, but don't try to sell it as being equally applicable for self defense because it's simply not.

It's because its easier and they don't have to deal with the pressure, pain, nerves, and everything else that comes along with training real combat styles. If you MT, MMA, BJJ, boxing, etc you will learn to fight well. However you will train HARD, you will get hit or thrown or crushed and you will go through pain to get better. The wing chun and aikidos of the world sell the dream that you can do drills at 20% effort and you're gonna be throwing and KO'ing people like in the movies, for people that are weak, lazy, or too scared to engage in the real combat systems they will buy into these styles bullshit because they desperately believe that their throw from someone grabbing their wrist, or that their sticky hand drills will protect them if they time comes they need to defend themselves. Unfortunately for them, it will not.

First off, forget about all the bullshit wing chun vs "mma/bjj/MT or other martial arts. 95% of people in the world don't train anything at all. I know many of you reading this have friends that do MT or BJJ, but this is the world of the 5%, not the majority of the world that goes to work, watches TV and goes to bed. When I say world, I mean america and equivalent.

The 5% that do train martial arts consistently are generally fairly respectful and good people and are not the ones you have to worry about on the street.

What do you have to worry about? The drunk guy wants to fight. The bum on the street that asks for money and wants to get aggressive when you dont give him any. The aggressive untrained tough guy brawlers that are going to throw wild hay makers trying to knock you out with ever punch. Wing chun is very effective against people with no training in anything.

Train wing chun for guys you may actually need to use it against like the above and you will see how good wing chun is.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this, but i'm sure there will be some
Wing Chun is pure garbage. Get over it. It's absolutely pure garbage.

I love how stupid those dumb fuk wing chun guys sounded when they say "oh our techniques are too dangerous to spar or compete", LOL!!! Just put them in the mount or knee on belly, and tell them "let's see your bullshit dangerous techniques now, where the fuk is it?! That's right, it doesn't exist, bitch!" And of course, keep on bitch slapping them while you're saying that.

LOL!!

Wing Chun is legit self-defense if you find the right school. I get a laugh (due to the guy's personality) out of this YouTuber https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2NH07Y5tx_PQvqaQGzxKxQ but his techniques seem sound.

I think you should choose a martial art that "calls" to you. Certain people gravitate towards certain styles. I personally don't like Chinese styles as they seem kinda intricate. For self defense I prefer Krav Maga and for sport I prefer boxing.

But if you get the right teacher definitely Wing Chun can be good. As I understand it, it focuses on determining whether the incoming attacks are linear or circular and then has a variety of techniques to redirect and counter. Looks effective when done by a guy who knows what they're doing.

Wing Chun is legit self-defense if you find the right school. I get a laugh (due to the guy's personality) out of this YouTuber https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2NH07Y5tx_PQvqaQGzxKxQ but his techniques seem sound.

I think you should choose a martial art that "calls" to you. Certain people gravitate towards certain styles. I personally don't like Chinese styles as they seem kinda intricate. For self defense I prefer Krav Maga and for sport I prefer boxing.

But if you get the right teacher definitely Wing Chun can be good. As I understand it, it focuses on determining whether the incoming attacks are linear or circular and then has a variety of techniques to redirect and counter. Looks effective when done by a guy who knows what they're doing.

Master Wong hah...this was what sold me on getting the Fairtex thigh pads lol:

You have to give it to him: the man's tracksuit game is strong.

Listen, just get over it. That wing chun shit is pure garbage. Probably the biggest snake oil shit in the martial arts world next to aikido. Even that krav maga bullshit is more legit than that wing chun shit, and krav maga is mostly for dumb fuck soccer moms thinking they're learning how to fight but in reality, they suck too.

But yea, wing chun is probably the purest of the purest most garbage crap in the martial arts world. The most useless pure garbage ever. It's garbage. pure wing chun garbage.

Listen, just get over it. That wing chun shit is pure garbage. Probably the biggest snake oil shit in the martial arts world next to aikido. Even that krav maga bullshit is more legit than that wing chun shit, and krav maga is mostly for dumb fuck soccer moms thinking they're learning how to fight but in reality, they suck too.

But yea, wing chun is probably the purest of the purest most garbage crap in the martial arts world. The most useless pure garbage ever. It's garbage. pure wing chun garbage.

Say what you really think do not hold back lol

That's like saying why not just learn Judo instead of BJJ. Judo also have newaza and ground game. Because BJJ is more intricate. Same with WC. Also, boxing have those big ass gloves. WC is just like boxing parry but more intricate. And no I don't think it's easier. I think it's much harder.

If you want easy, then yes boxing. If you don't care about that, but more on actually learning all the intricacy and parrying and stuff then go for WC. Just like BJJ is super intricate.

Why not learn both? I like boxing as a starting base cuz it have all the basics. And then add in whatever else to it later on.
lol at boxing being easy.

i bought the big beefy fairtex thigh pads and I love them, but still have to wear another pad or focus mitt under them or else my leg will be bruised up for weeks

Coach Kirian has the same one here: [yt]

Last edited:
The main problems i see with wing chun are:

1. They try to be too fancy. Trapping exists in combat sports, it is used in boxing and even in wrestling (handfighting). The problem with WC is that it seems to be a contest to come up with or demonstrate the most fancy and complex trapping sequence that you can imagine up. Sort of like aikido, standing locks work, but they try to come up with he most complex /fancy locks ever.

2. They are stuck behind the "too deadly" nonsense. If you look at it, wc should probably the most applicable TMA. They use straight lines, do close quarter, etc. however since they don't spar or compete in combat sports behind the "it's to deadly" nonsense the art has taken the aikido road.

The main problems i see with wing chun are:

1. They try to be too fancy. Trapping exists in combat sports, it is used in boxing and even in wrestling (handfighting). The problem with WC is that it seems to be a contest to come up with or demonstrate the most fancy and complex trapping sequence that you can imagine up. Sort of like aikido, standing locks work, but they try to come up with he most complex /fancy locks ever.

2. They are stuck behind the "too deadly" nonsense. If you look at it, wc should probably the most applicable TMA. They use straight lines, do close quarter, etc. however since they don't spar or compete in combat sports behind the "it's to deadly" nonsense the art has taken the aikido road.

facts-saamag said similar things; unlike most wing chun guys i knew, he was able to use the techniques in training/sparring. But he was more about being efficient in the usage of said tech, rather than making it more complex then it had to be.

[Qot.[/QUOTE]
First off, forget about all the bullshit wing chun vs "mma/bjj/MT or other martial arts. 95% of people in the world don't train anything at all. I know many of you reading this have friends that do MT or BJJ, but this is the world of the 5%, not the majority of the world that goes to work, watches TV and goes to bed. When I say world, I mean america and equivalent.

The 5% that do train martial arts consistently are generally fairly respectful and good people and are not the ones you have to worry about on the street.

What do you have to worry about? The drunk guy wants to fight. The bum on the street that asks for money and wants to get aggressive when you dont give him any. The aggressive untrained tough guy brawlers that are going to throw wild hay makers trying to knock you out with ever punch. Wing chun is very effective against people with no training in anything.

Train wing chun for guys you may actually need to use it against like the above and you will see how good wing chun is.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this, but i'm sure there will be some

So basically train MMA because its even better vs those types of guys you would face and you can whip wing chun guys with ease too, and its probably cheaper and faster to learn

So basically train MMA because its even better vs those types of guys you would face and you can whip wing chun guys with ease too, and its probably cheaper and faster to learn

Yes. Just more painful and physically harder.

Theoretically I would be inclined to agree, but the guys I've seen who just trained MMA class tended to be mediocre in both grappling AND striking. They were extremely exploitable in their weaknesses. They were not sharp at anything.

So I would not recommend standalone MMA class training. MMA classes have been steadily dying since the mid 2000's in enrollment and this is why. They work better as a supplement and "test" to one's grappling and striking skills learned in dedicated classes.

Along with dedicated striking study is probably where MMA class works best, so you can test and generate strategies to lessen your vulnerabilities inherent in your main style.

yeah Master Wong said, elbows and your attacker can't grab no more titty
<DCrying>

Sherdog is a good forum except for these really bad troll jobs. I can appreciate a good troll job but this isn't even close to being funny

Choose Wing Chun if you like it. Don't try to justify it with stats off the top of your head, OP.

anyone can be deadly. it is not the art itself but the practioner.

Back