Wing Chun is very effective on the streetwhen you put it this way and it's now my chosen martial art

good for you. I hate it when people just blatantly say XX or YY don't work. I don't train wing chun but i have a more open mind than most people. Watch wing chun in slow motion and tell me how it don't work. Those intricate hand traps are amazing. At the most basic form, it's just like any boxing parry. I would love to learn it one day.

I know most people will say it doesn't work IRL. Well, that's why you train/spar like IRL. Slipping punches is even harder imo. How long do you have to drill that to make it work and still wouldn't work against really fast punchers. IMO, slipping punches and parrying/hand trap with WC is very similar. Just gotta drill it. Have a boxer throw 1234 or whatever combo until you can parry everything at full speed. Just like boxing training.

I don't understand how a real technique doesn't work IRL. It's not like those fake aikido with their internal powers blowing you 10 feet away.

good for you. I hate it when people just blatantly say XX or YY don't work. I don't train wing chun but i have a more open mind than most people. Watch wing chun in slow motion and tell me how it don't work. Those intricate hand traps are amazing. At the most basic form, it's just like any boxing parry. I would love to learn it one day.

I know most people will say it doesn't work IRL. Well, that's why you train/spar like IRL. Slipping punches is even harder imo. How long do you have to drill that to make it work and still wouldn't work against really fast punchers. IMO, slipping punches and parrying/hand trap with WC is very similar. Just gotta drill it. Have a boxer throw 1234 or whatever combo until you can parry everything at full speed. Just like boxing training.

I don't understand how a real technique doesn't work IRL. It's not like those fake aikido with their internal powers blowing you 10 feet away.

Then why not just learn a boxing parry? You think intricate hand trapping is easier to learn and implement than boxing parries?

There's a reason the KISS principle exists...

Then why not just learn a boxing parry? You think intricate hand trapping is easier to learn and implement than boxing parries?

There's a reason the KISS principle exists...
That's like saying why not just learn Judo instead of BJJ. Judo also have newaza and ground game. Because BJJ is more intricate. Same with WC. Also, boxing have those big ass gloves. WC is just like boxing parry but more intricate. And no I don't think it's easier. I think it's much harder.

If you want easy, then yes boxing. If you don't care about that, but more on actually learning all the intricacy and parrying and stuff then go for WC. Just like BJJ is super intricate.

Why not learn both? I like boxing as a starting base cuz it have all the basics. And then add in whatever else to it later on.

That's like saying why not just learn Judo instead of BJJ. Judo also have newaza and ground game. Because BJJ is more intricate. Same with WC. Also, boxing have those big ass gloves. WC is just like boxing parry but more intricate. And no I don't think it's easier. I think it's much harder.

If you want easy, then yes boxing. If you don't care about that, but more on actually learning all the intricacy and parrying and stuff then go for WC. Just like BJJ is super intricate.

Why not learn both? I like boxing as a starting base cuz it have all the basics. And then add in whatever else to it later on.

Judo ground game is more than sufficient in the context of the OP ("95% of the world is untrained").

TS is also talking about ignoring the popular martial arts in MMA and going for WC instead. You having a boxing background is irrelevant to the original premise. You picking training WC instead of boxing would be more inline with what TS is talking about.

First off, forget about all the bullshit wing chun vs "mma/bjj/MT or other martial arts. 95% of people in the world don't train anything at all. I know many of you reading this have friends that do MT or BJJ, but this is the world of the 5%, not the majority of the world that goes to work, watches TV and goes to bed. When I say world, I mean america and equivalent.

The 5% that do train martial arts consistently are generally fairly respectful and good people and are not the ones you have to worry about on the street.

What do you have to worry about? The drunk guy wants to fight. The bum on the street that asks for money and wants to get aggressive when you dont give him any. The aggressive untrained tough guy brawlers that are going to throw wild hay makers trying to knock you out with ever punch. Wing chun is very effective against people with no training in anything.

Train wing chun for guys you may actually need to use it against like the above and you will see how good wing chun is.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this, but i'm sure there will be some
They don't pressure test the art. This was settled long ago. Secondly this is a mma forum why bring bullshido arts to a haven for legitimate arts?

I do have full pinkys...just not knuckles so when I make a fist there is just a big split apart empty space...like a boxers fracture that never healed
Bullshit on this. If this were true, you would not be able to form a fist.

just do whatever you enjoy, chances are your choice won't have any impact to your thug life on the streets

Even for street work the most effective arts will remain boxing and wrestling. Perhaps Karate and MT may have a surprice factor.

I am not sure how many people have really fought in their lives. I have some street fights. Street fights usually end in the first 5-10 seconds even less if it is 1v1. They usually end with 1 or 2-3 hits. Often your training experience and back ground will not matter unless you are too experienced in a fight sport and have had some street fights.

Why boxing succeeds in a street fight 1v1? Quick jab or 1-2s. Good guard and distance management. Why it succeeds in a fight against many - movement. I think most of you have seen the Turkish boxer video that gets swarmed in the streets and he controls them with movement and quick straights.

Why wrestling succeeds? Strenght. It is still the most important factor in a fight. A huge man will most likely win a smaller man. A stronger most likely a weaker. Wrestling creates a strenght base and a base that allows for strenght to win.

Important rule - kicks usually do not work due to clothing and slippery ground outside of the gym. Well unless you are too experienced in kicking.

Why WC may not work in the streets especially against a stronger man. Relies and quick prolonged punching. A stronger man can probably just grab you and control you. WC does not really have good powerful punching. But WC will do fine in most street fighting.

"You're strong"
- man controlled by someone with superior technique.

Last edited:
Keeps hands high, protecting the jaw.
Use feet to create angles
Maintain range, while deflecting punches with arms
Counter hard

I like tiips to the groin if the other guy comes in swinging, otherwise punchers chance comes into play.

My arms are short as shit so boxing alone is no good for me unless I'm the only one "talking". Kick gets his hands down so I can blast him with punches inside, takes most of the risk out of it.

You do learn these little tricks from being in a lot of fights that maybe guys used to sport fighting don't.

That said, I think sport fighting is the best way to train. You learn about street fights from being in them but MMA is the best training methodology bar none.

I don't know why you'd handicap yourself with something like WC.

Have you ever seen WC guys spar light then spar hard? It looks completely different. Going light they can stand in front of each other like a kung fu movie and use all these intricate parries and traps. As soon as the intensity increases, all that goes out the window and the few who can actually fight start looking like boxers/kickboxers, the majority who can't fight start flailing and looking like shit with weak arm punches and terrible defense. The reason to learn boxing parrying over WC parrying is because boxing parrying is proven to work even under the highest of intensities and against the highest level of skilled opposition. WC parrying falls apart under pressure.

There's being open minded, then there's being realistic about the difference between techniques that work under pressure and the ones that don't.

Why don't we all just be adults and not get into street fights?

Boxing is easy?? wtf... McGregor is that you???!!!

First off, forget about all the bullshit wing chun vs "mma/bjj/MT or other martial arts. 95% of people in the world don't train anything at all. I know many of you reading this have friends that do MT or BJJ, but this is the world of the 5%, not the majority of the world that goes to work, watches TV and goes to bed. When I say world, I mean america and equivalent.

The 5% that do train martial arts consistently are generally fairly respectful and good people and are not the ones you have to worry about on the street.

What do you have to worry about? The drunk guy wants to fight. The bum on the street that asks for money and wants to get aggressive when you dont give him any. The aggressive untrained tough guy brawlers that are going to throw wild hay makers trying to knock you out with ever punch. Wing chun is very effective against people with no training in anything.

Train wing chun for guys you may actually need to use it against like the above and you will see how good wing chun is.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this, but i'm sure there will be some

Just replace Aikido with Wing Chun

Boxing is easy?? wtf... McGregor is that you???!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Wing chun is garbage. I've personally seen people from wing chun and aikido (I group them together since they are the most common snake oil MA's) get absolutely mauled by people with no training, because all they are used to is their stupid fucking drills and when someone throws with bad intentions, they are worse off than someone that's never trained because they conditioned themselves to expect garbage. The lack of realistic sparring, and hiding behind the "oh this is too dangerous" type of shit gives people extremely unrealistic ideas of what feeling real pressure from someone that's going to actually try to hurt you feels like, not some other nerd that believes the bullshit about your sticky hand drills and chain punching with no power.

I've been around martial arts my whole life, if you want to be prepared to defend yourself use boxing, wrestling, and bjj. And all these styles are also styles where you're tested hard in competition and sparring. Meanwhile bullshit like wing chun and aikido will continue to prey on all the nerds that think they can train for real combat with choreographed crap, drills with no practical application, "receiving" attacks because they are so dangerous, and all the other ridiculous shit they sucker people with.

Back