Wing Chun in MMA

http://sevenload.de/videos/KVaF5va

Two things.

1. Great opponent. Good fighters regularly hop around like Rhesus monkeys with their hands by their waist when they fight. Testing a martial art against an untrained opponent is useless.

2. Dude's description of wing chun used in that fight was pointless. There was a mix of martial arts used by the victor in that fight. Hence, MMA. The "Coach" just called it all Wing Chun because, get this, he wants more people for his business.

Lee Lohff said:
1. Great opponent. Good fighters regularly hop around like Rhesus monkeys with their hands by their waist when they fight. Testing a martial art against an untrained opponent is useless.
It was the first MMA fight for both of them. Royce won the first UFC submitting untrained truck drivers, did you complain then as well?
2. Dude's description of wing chun used in that fight was pointless. There was a mix of martial arts used by the victor in that fight. Hence, MMA. The "Coach" just called it all Wing Chun because, get this, he wants more people for his business.
1. It's Weng Chun, which is slightly different than Wing Chun
2. The Dude knows more about Weng Chun than you ever will. He pointed out the elements of WC that were used in that fight. He also mentioned that BJJ was used to finish the fight. Everything in that fight aside from the armbar can be found in WC. What exactly is your problem with the description?

You're a professional fighter, aren't you supposed to have respect for other MAs?

It was the first MMA fight for both of them. Royce won the first UFC submitting untrained truck drivers, did you complain then as well?

never realized that shamrock was an "untrained truck driver"....

BuZ said:
2. The Dude knows more about Weng Chun than you ever will. He pointed out the elements of WC that were used in that fight. He also mentioned that BJJ was used to finish the fight. Everything in that fight aside from the armbar can be found in WC. What exactly is your problem with the description?

I know more about Wang Chun than you ever will, but I just made that shit up and it's not something anybody gives half a rectum about.

BuZ said:
2. The Dude knows more about Weng Chun than you ever will.
Good thing, considering I've been wasting my time on martial arts worth a shit.

I'm not sure which one of the guys Royce fought was an untrained truck driver, but if one of them was, yes I have a problem with it. Fighting against untrained opponents proves nothing, no matter who you are.

I have respect for most martial arts. What I don't have respect for is TMA- ophiles spewing out worthless garbage about how real TMA'ers don't fight MMA because they are too deadly or fight with no rules.

And your boy's leg kicks were shit.

feedback said:
watch and learn how to be a horrible amateur fighter? I see some weak kicks, poor boxing, and amateurish slapping. One of the kids even turns his back... jesus. Was he the "WC" guy?
The dude winning was the WC guy.
I love how when a MMA guy defeats a Kung Fu guys, it's because Kung Fu sucks; but when a Kung Fu guy wins it's because the MMA guys sucks. When MMA wins, it proves once and for all that Kung Fu willl never ever work, but when Kung Fu wins it's because the opponent is complete crap, has never trained a second in his live and so on.

Lee Lohff said:
I have respect for most martial arts. What I don't have respect for is TMA- ophiles spewing out worthless garbage about how real TMA'ers don't fight MMA because they are too deadly or fight with no rules.
So what is your problem here then? They do participate in MMA-style fights, they do train BJJ and noone has ever said how it is too deadly for anything. BTW, that fight was from a tourney, which the dude won. There also were Judo guys and a MT-fighter. All of which were complete crap, because otherwise he wouldn't have won.
And your boy's leg kicks were shit.
So are Royces.

I don't believe I've ever made a comment like that about an MMA fighter beating a kung fu fighter, since I hate MMA retards. But I can categorically say that there never will be any excellent fighter beating people with wing chun. It's simply a terrible theory dependent bizarre form of martial art whose survival is only fed by cult-minded practitioners and people who have Bruce Lee wet dreams.

VampireMonk said:
highly skilled boxers use many techniques, attributes, and even stances found in
Wing Chun.

basically you can reach the same peak even though you climb different paths.

Hell, I when I was starting to really understand the open guard in BJJ, I realized there
were many of the same concepts found in Wing Chun was used.

And because of so many MMA people being anti-wing chun, I call my open guard
the Wing Chun guard :icon_chee :icon_twis

Yes, I found that Wing Chun was very useful when applying it to BJJ. If you can trap both their hands with just one of your hands gives you quite an advantage in GNP. I wouldn't adopt the traditional Wing Chun stance on the feet as I agree with everyone that it would leave you open for a take down. I'm just saying especially with some of the sloppier boxers, Wing Chun parrys and "pulls" when used with a sidestep would theoretically rip through some people. It's so fast when you have the techniques mastered, you literally used the momentum of your opponents punches to propel you even faster into a punch to their face, midsection, etc.

Yeah, I know pure Wing Chun in it's traditional form alone would be obsolete but certain tools of it could be very useful, yet no one seems to use it. They have takedown defense techniques as well that we trained in. Instead of an all out wrestler's sprawl, if they go for a single or double leg takedown, you drop a leg back and put a fook sao or controlling arm out that makes contact with their neck/clavicle area. When practiced a lot and done correctly with the right stance it will feel like they just ran into a brick wall and probably would break their clavicle.

feedback said:
TKD is better.

Taek Kwon Do is like slap fighting compared to Wing Chun. TKD is another mainstream form like Karate for little kids and for the movies. Any effective kicking perform in TKD can also be found in Kung Fu minus all the flamboyant crap that you have to learn along with it.

DANPATS said:
Taek Kwon Do is like slap fighting compared to Wing Chun. TKD is another mainstream form like Karate for little kids and for the movies. Any effective kicking perform in TKD can also be found in Kung Fu minus all the flamboyant crap that you have to learn along with it.

Well, wing chun is literally slap fighting, some TKD might be slap-kicking. At least some TKD schools spar hard, and as long as a school spars hard then they have at least one thing right.

feedback said:
Well, wing chun is literally slap fighting, some TKD might be slap-kicking. At least some TKD schools spar hard, and as long as a school spars hard then they have at least one thing right.
It may look like that to the uneducated eye, as BJJ might look like two guys just rolling around on the ground to someone who doesn't know better. I assure you it is far from slap fighting. I meant TKD is the equivalent of rudimentary girl fighting in terms of effectiveness when compared to a more complete fighting system such as Wing Chun.

Those guys doing WC in that 'anti-grappling' video looked like they sucked, everything was fake and the people being attacked had completely unrealistic neurological reactions to weak strikes.

Just what I was looking for.

Someone was trying to tell me that Wing Chun fighters don't fight in MMA competitions because most of their moves are banned.

Something about 'the art is based on pressure points'.

I read in Wikipedia that in UFC 15 pressure point striking was banned but what does that mean and how does it apply to Wang Chun?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back