Wing Chun in MMA

DANPATS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why isn't Wing Chun Kung Fu utilized in MMA? I trained under the lineage of Duncan Leung who was taught by Yip Man and we trained in some very effective counterstrike techniques. I don't know if most of it could be translated into MMA but Pak Sao and Lap Sao counterstrikes I believe could be very effective against a boxer. Thoughts?

I hope this comes out right. With the basic wing chun stance, I think although it could work against a boxer, they can still take you down pretty easily. Although you could back peddle, without a sprawl, they would catch you. having trained in WC myself, although I would love to see someone give it a shot - although I am thinking it really wouldn't recommended with teh exception of certain circumstances (i really wanna see how well chain punching could work while on the ground and having someone in guard with them up kinda high. It would give you some room for the centerline strikes, however without stepping I wonder if you can get enough power. Not quite sure, but something I always wanted to try out.) . Anyway just speculation, haven't tried anything.

You can definetly use wing chun in mma. Its just that the kung fu practisiontors dont beleive much in the combat sports and feel its not the point of martial arts.

wasent asbel cancio a wing chun\ving tsun gung fu fighter

if it works, it'll be matter of time before you see fighters using it.

The last Wing Chun practioner I saw in the UFC was taken down very easily. The way he stood didn't seem to allow much in terms of footwork, IMO.

I think some elements are useful, e.g trapping, and could be useful if you are backed up against the fence, but going into an MMA match relying only on Wing Chun would not be a good idea.

tinker_190 said:
The last Wing Chun practioner I saw in the UFC was taken down very easily. The way he stood didn't seem to allow much in terms of footwork, IMO.

that was asbel cancio from ufc 5

Just practice your sprawl, Wing chun could work.

Wing Chun couldn't work because it's a disease that destroys the rational thought of it's practitioners.

Can you use trapping techniques against a boxer's hand speed ? And can you get enough power behind your WC punches to KO someone ? I think those are the two main factors, since WC was not designed with a boxing oponent in mind, and uses a lot of illegal strikes to compensate for the short distances for generating power. As far as I know...

It'll work as long as you step off at an angle when trapping. Do that and enter back in and the chain punches are really brutal. You need to implement a certain strategical style with it though too I think. With boxing you can be a little more technical, spaced out, and relaxed. With that angle change, you have to come in fast and hard, driving through. If you trap correctly, as you enter then the arm should be stuck across body, stoping a cross, or any effective knees/kicks. Not really a style you can rely on by itself though either. But thats why its mma, not ma.

DANPATS said:
Why isn't Wing Chun Kung Fu utilized in MMA? I trained under the lineage of Duncan Leung who was taught by Yip Man and we trained in some very effective counterstrike techniques. I don't know if most of it could be translated into MMA but Pak Sao and Lap Sao counterstrikes I believe could be very effective against a boxer. Thoughts?

highly skilled boxers use many techniques, attributes, and even stances found in
Wing Chun.

basically you can reach the same peak even though you climb different paths.

Hell, I when I was starting to really understand the open guard in BJJ, I realized there
were many of the same concepts found in Wing Chun was used.

And because of so many MMA people being anti-wing chun, I call my open guard
the Wing Chun guard :icon_chee :icon_twis

i dont like the wc stance where they punch from the middle of their chest. a good friend of mine trains in wc but they also drill armbars in class so i guess its not really wc anymore

aspects of it can be eff in mma, nowadays no one arts is truly eff in mma; when is the last time u saw a pure any style win. Even if the majority of ur background is in one art u have to at least be competent in other ranges to even survive, pure wrestlers/bjj/kickboxers/muay thai and judok all lose in mma..NOW.

some arts can be tranlated to mma and need less refinement or additions; but every art has to have some supplement to be eff.. i.e. fedor-sambo/boxing/wrestling/etc/.. barnett- kickboxing-submission-wrestling- hughes-wrestling-sub-boxing-kickboxing

my friend said he saw a fight where erik paulson was using trapping eff standing up and on the ground...

i sparred a wing chun guy once, he had never trained other styles; but he had made it a point to work w/wrestlers/judoka/boxers/kicboxer, an he made refinements/adjustments to make it harder to get him down/tie him up or even land eff. I actually got opened up w/chain punching when i was trying to clinch, i got stunned swept and put on my back; i ended up ankle locking him..but he was much more competent than people would have you believe.

There are some interesting antigrappling aspects in WT as well, have any of you seen Victor Gutierrez's videos on antigrappling? It's some brutal stuff, and pretty far from what some people would associate with WT.

Mumrik said:
There are some interesting antigrappling aspects in WT as well, have any of you seen Victor Gutierrez's videos on antigrappling? It's some brutal stuff, and pretty far from what some people would associate with WT.

no no no no no dear god no there is no such thing as "anti-grappling", only grappling. Gutierrez is good at what he does, (wing chun) but as soon as you started your eye-raking spine-elbowing cooperative demo-ing it's embarrassing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back