Will Gen X'ers change things?

I don't think there's anything particularly formative for Gen X that's missing from previous or later generations as a rule.

What about missing something formative, like a consistent story line. The first story I was told was about communists and Soviets. Then that story ended. Then we started a new story, with islam, and terrorists. Now we have a new twist though, because the Russians are back without the commmunism.

What about missing something formative, like a consistent story line. The first story I was told was about communists and Soviets. Then that story ended. Then we started a new story, with islam, and terrorists. Now we have a new twist though, because the Russians are back without the commmunism.

I don't think a couple of decades more or less of the cold war really makes much difference to outlook and behaviour. Different points on the same trend lines. We missed conscription I suppose, but that's about it. I don't feel like there's a massive gap to baby boomers or millenials like there was with the Silent Generation.

I remember when we were called gen xers. And then suddenly we were millennials.

If anyone ever calls me a millennial to my face........

VoKJm.gif

No. Baby boomers will discover the cure for aging and will rule forever.

Young people soon become the next old people. What exactly makes young people so special besides their naive idealism and arrogance?

I have to admit that I kind of think we are. I grew up in 2 worlds. I played outside, and know how to use a computer. I remember this country before 9-11, and after. I think gen X'ers lack the brainwashing the baby boomers had, and lack the different brand of brainwashing the milenials are getting.

Yeah man, all the other generations are brainwashed but brainwashing magically disappeared for Gen X'ers formative years....

<YeahOKJen>

I remember when we were called gen xers. And then suddenly we were millennials.

i heard something about them identifying a mini-generation between the two which is presumably where we'd fit in

i heard something about them identifying a mini-generation between the two which is presumably where we'd fit in

Gen x test: are you too young to be a babyboomer, but old enough to have watched the 1st season of thundercats when it was new.

Gen x test: are you too young to be a babyboomer, but old enough to have watched the 1st season of thundercats when it was new.

yes, and yes (just barely) although i was all about go-bots back then

No.

Every generation is the same. Up until 30, only the educated, motivated, passionate, and compassionate people vote: the valedictorians and student government nerds, and so on, and the generation's voting trends are progressive, intelligent, and sensible.

Then, around 40, all of rest of the dummies and self-interested hobbyists trickle into the generation's electorate and it becomes conservative and starts sabotaging the polity along the basis of stupid identity issues.

People plus 40 push identity issues? Fuck you need help lol.

How about coming back to earth and reviewing what's happening now, in reality.

People plus 40 push identity issues?

...yes, demonstrably so. Although I didn't say they "pushed" them. That's a semantic difference that I don't entirely expect you to appreciate. They don't push them. They are just increasingly manipulated along identity political lines as they get older. This has been pretty undeniable since the 1960s. Senior citizen voters are mobilized along the lines of race, sexual orientation, and religion, hence why they responded so colorfully to the "Obama is a communist Muslim atheist Kenyan," despite him always being a centrist.

How about coming back to earth and reviewing what's happening now, in reality.

Someday I hope to see "Tropodon quoted you" and it actually have some substance or basic recognition of the topic at hand, instead of it always being - every single time - just a "durr hurr ur stupid" post. Oh, to dream.

The man is holding us down! Let' get rid of these Babyboomers! Tide Pods and a bathroom type for everyone! Yay! Paradise on earth once these old folks get out of our way!

Back