Will Gen X'ers change things?

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So we are in a transitory time in the US. The babyboomers don't seem to want to retire, but even if they keep holding on to Congress, the house, the presidency, the vast majority of judicial positions, the corporate executive level, ect, they will die off soon.

Are Gen X'ers different in some meaningful way, that we should be hopeful?

I have to admit that I kind of think we are. I grew up in 2 worlds. I played outside, and know how to use a computer. I remember this country before 9-11, and after. I think gen X'ers lack the brainwashing the baby boomers had, and lack the different brand of brainwashing the milenials are getting.

In other words, we are the skeptic generation. And I am hopeful that when the baby boomers finally release their death grip on the reigns of power in this country, that perhaps we will see a new skepticism that rejects the status quo.

Discuss....

Hasn't every generation ever said the same thing?

I’m holding out and placing my hope in the tide pod generation.

I dont care if gay people get married. Like I have said multiple times, freedom goes both ways.

If they were going to change anything, they already would have. Old men and grandmas holding onto power, is not so much a sign of stubbornness on their part, but a sign of the "young" being unwilling to step up and take responsibility. The retirement home crew, should've been put out to pasture, a long time ago.

Age is just one more arbitrary, silly way to divide people in your mind. The truth is there are people of all kinds, from every generation.

Age is just one more arbitrary, silly way to divide people in your mind. The truth is there are people of all kinds, from every generation.

Statistically-speaking there are fewer people of "all kinds", when it comes to the older generations, that is.

When we were younger I think we all thought we knew more than the generation before us . . . then we became adults, started jobs, families, etc. and realized we had a lot to learn.

If they were going to change anything, they already would have. Old men and grandmas holding onto power, is not so much a sign of stubbornness on their part, but a sign of the "young" being unwilling to step up and take responsibility. The retirement home crew, should've been put out to pasture, a long time ago.

The baby boomers maybe stubborn, but they are also woefully unqualified to operate in today's world. Yeah, there are some exceptions here and there of 60 year tech savvy folks, but for the most part, babyboomers are dinosaurs in a world built for mammals.

What do you mean by this?

I mean if you want true freedom you have to let people be gay. Im not gay. Not like there is anything wrong with that. (hopes you get the Seinfeld reference)

No.

Every generation is the same. Up until 30, only the educated, motivated, passionate, and compassionate people vote: the valedictorians and student government nerds, and so on, and the generation's voting trends are progressive, intelligent, and sensible.

Then, around 40, all of rest of the dummies and self-interested hobbyists trickle into the generation's electorate and it becomes conservative and starts sabotaging the polity along the basis of stupid identity issues.

I remember when we were called gen xers. And then suddenly we were millennials.

When we were younger I think we all thought we knew more than the generation before us . . . then we became adults, started jobs, families, etc. and realized we had a lot to learn.

I'm not talking about being overall better, I'm saying better in certain ways, and I'm sure worse in others.

we started jobs then got thrown under the bus to dodge fedaral taxes and then......oh wait thats just me

Statistically-speaking there are fewer people of "all kinds", when it comes to the older generations, that is.

When I say "kinds" I'm speaking of behaviors & principles, more than skin color or ethnicity, which is less relevant to me. There are plenty of young responsible people, old fuckups, and vice versa, and plenty of good people, and huge assholes, in every age group.

I'm not talking about being overall better, I'm saying better in certain ways, and I'm sure worse in others.

I think we all thought we would be better in various ways than the generation before us . . . then we grew up and realized it wasn't as easy as we expected.

Nah, I don’t see it. Call me a cynic, but I don’t think humans really change all that much generation to generation. It’s part of why I love talking to elderly people. All the experience of 80 years wrapped up in the mind of a 20 year old.

The baby boomers maybe stubborn, but they are also woefully unqualified to operate in today's world. Yeah, there are some exceptions here and there of 60 year tech savvy folks, but for the most part, babyboomers are dinosaurs in a world built for mammals.

If they are woefully unqualified, why do they continue to stay in power, then?

Shouldn't be that difficult to just oust them by being more qualified for leadership.

Perhaps the younger generations are more capable of criticizing the captain, and less capable of actually steering the ship.

If they are woefully unqualified, why do they continue to stay in power, then?

Shouldn't be that difficult to just oust them by being more qualified for leadership.

Perhaps the younger generations are more capable of criticizing the captain, and less capable of actually steering the ship.

So you are asking why a baby boomer promoted another babyboomer, instead of the 45 year old?

Back