Will Gen X'ers change things?

So we are in a transitory time in the US. The babyboomers don't seem to want to retire, but even if they keep holding on to Congress, the house, the presidency, the vast majority of judicial positions, the corporate executive level, ect, they will die off soon.

Are Gen X'ers different in some meaningful way, that we should be hopeful?

I have to admit that I kind of think we are. I grew up in 2 worlds. I played outside, and know how to use a computer. I remember this country before 9-11, and after. I think gen X'ers lack the brainwashing the baby boomers had, and lack the different brand of brainwashing the milenials are getting.

In other words, we are the skeptic generation. And I am hopeful that when the baby boomers finally release their death grip on the reigns of power in this country, that perhaps we will see a new skepticism that rejects the status quo.

Discuss....
I find Gen X's polarized either being much more like Baby Boomers or much more like Millennials. The time for actual real change in America is when millennials reach their mid 40s- or about 15-20 years. Might be too much time for the corporatists to tighten their grip on the future though.

I think it will be much, much worse.

Younger generations are vastly more partisan than generations before them. With all the exposure to cable news, online news outlets, and social media, it's only natural.

PSA to the forum: many of you who think you are GenX are actually Millennials.

There isn't widespread agreement, yet. The earliest range I saw placed Jan 1, 1981 as the cutoff. Some cutoffs are being set around 1984 while the Pew originally put it at January 1st, 1980.

In any case, if you were born in 1985, or thereafter, until at least 2000, there is no uncertainty. You're a Millennial.

I think it will be much, much worse.

Younger generations are vastly more partisan than generations before them. With all the exposure to cable news, online news outlets, and social media, it's only natural.
I'm not so sure. The old fuck generation has pretty extreme Facebook habits. Men like my dad and uncles who were big burly hardcore fucks that sit on that garbage site all day for years, posting updates on their stupid timeline, etc.

I have an aunt who was the worst. She was the person the Trump Facebook propaganda was made for and it couldn't have worked better. She's been a real hoot these past holidays but I can't wait for the next after the Cambridge Analytica stuff coming out

There isn't widespread agreement, yet. The earliest range I saw placed Jan 1, 1981 as the cutoff. Some cutoffs are being set around 1984 while the Pew originally put it at January 1st, 1980.

In any case, if you were born in 1985, or thereafter, until at least 2000, there is no uncertainty. You're a Millennial.

I thought it started at 1983. Either way, if your first console was an NES, you are most likely not like the rest of the millenials. You probably have much more in common with the Gen X'ers. That's the way I see it.

Appreciate the PSA. Just want to add that there's also a lot of people who think millennials only represent young adults aged 18-25 years old.

Personally I stick to it being millennials are people born between 1981-1999. Gen X 1965-1980.

So we are in a transitory time in the US. The babyboomers don't seem to want to retire, but even if they keep holding on to Congress, the house, the presidency, the vast majority of judicial positions, the corporate executive level, ect, they will die off soon.

I have to admit that I kind of think we are. I grew up in 2 worlds. I played outside, and know how to use a computer. I remember this country before 9-11, and after. I think gen X'ers lack the brainwashing the baby boomers had, and lack the different brand of brainwashing the milenials are getting.

In other words, we are the skeptic generation. And I am hopeful that when the baby boomers finally release their death grip on the reigns of power in this country, that perhaps we will see a new skepticism that rejects the status quo.

Discuss....
lack the brainwashing of baby boomers? what are you talking about?

Appreciate the PSA. Just want to add that there's also a lot of people who think millennials only represent young adults aged 18-25 years old.

Personally I stick to it being millennials are people born between 1981-1999. Gen X 1965-1980.
I thought it started at 1983. Either way, if your first console was an NES, you are most likely not like the rest of the millenials. You probably have much more in common with the Gen X'ers. That's the way I see it.
Exactly. It's in this range. That's why I set 1984 as the latest possible date; because that's where I've seen a reputable reference push it the furthest back. I've never seen 1979 or earlier cited. So until it becomes formally cemented, if it ever does, however that happens, for those born immediately surrounding this period, those born in 1979 or earlier are Gen X, and those born in 1985 or later are Millennials. Until then, the earliest range I saw quoted appears to be maintaining:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/5336...-years-millennials-gen-x-and-post-millennials
  • The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (73-90 years old)
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old)
  • Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old)
  • Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22-37 years old)
  • Post-Millennials: Born 1997-Present (0-21 years old)
Still, those born between 1980-1984 are in limbo, and will almost certainly be assigned a special "twixter" generation catch-all in the future like the "cohorts" of the Boomers or GenX themselves (i.e. "Generation Jones" for Boomer babies born in the second half of the generation who are considered closer in character to GenX than the "Greatest Generation"; there exists related disagreement where some historians think the last 3 years of traditional Boomers are better categorized as GenX, and these merging periods always become a point of friction due to their arbitrary nature).

Millienials is an over used terminology its like a marketing gimmick in todays media. They start with headlines "new clothing trend hip among millenials" "Millenials buy more crap sandwich etc.

Back in the 90s upto the mid 2000s I never hear TV programs mentioning GenX this genX that!

It seems like this generation is obsessed with generation theory.

Exactly. It's in this range. That's why I set 1984 as the latest possible date; because that's where I've seen a reputable reference push it the furthest back. I've never seen 1979 or earlier cited. So until it becomes formally cemented, if it ever does, however that happens, for those born immediately surrounding this period, those born in 1979 or earlier are Gen X, and those born in 1985 or later are Millennials. Until then, the earliest range I saw quoted appears to be maintaining:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/5336...-years-millennials-gen-x-and-post-millennials
  • The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (73-90 years old)
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old)
  • Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old)
  • Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22-37 years old)
  • Post-Millennials: Born 1997-Present (0-21 years old)
Still, those born between 1980-1984 are in limbo, and will almost certainly be assigned a special "twixter" generation catch-all in the future like the "cohorts" of the Boomers or GenX themselves (i.e. "Generation Jones" for Boomer babies born in the second half of the generation who are considered closer in character to GenX than the "Greatest Generation"; there exists related disagreement where some historians think the last 3 years of traditional Boomers are better categorized as GenX, and these merging periods always become a point of friction due to their arbitrary nature).

I was born in 1982 am I an early millenial or late Gen -X?

LOL at generation slacker fixing anything besides a sandwich.

Discuss....

I am a Gen Xer and we are all about Transgression Fiction. Fight Club is coming bitches!!!

Do you piss standing up or sitting down???

People in this thread are saying that the baby boomers are dumb and the millenials/ younger people are naive and brainwashed. And that Gen X is the perfect middle.

Ron Paul for me was the perfect example of being young and naive. I supported him fervently in 2008 and 2012. Now, I realize that things aren't so simple.

Too much freedom is a bad thing. Private businesses do need to be forced to accept black customers, for example. Otherwise, so many people are so evil that there will be entire towns and counties where black people can not go grocery shopping. Can not get private educations. Can not find a decent place to live. Etc. Ron Paul is wrong on this.

Some drugs do need to be illegal. Heroin, crack, etc. I've lived in places where weed is legal and seen how it became less underground and more public. You end up with people casually smoking bongs at bus stops. You get empty marijuana wrappers and joint tubes blowing in the wind and littering your yard and playgrounds. You smell it everywhere. There are marijuana stores blocks away from family institutions. This level of public visibility can not be extended to harder drugs. Society has to have some level of forced decency because, left to its own devices with complete freedom, the minority of people that descend into degeneracy is enough to make it ugly and take away its soul. Ron Paul is wrong on this.

I used to think that wars for oil are automatically wrong. I've now seen Russia threaten to shut off natural gas pipelines to Eastern Europe when they have political disagreements. I've seen the west threaten to shut off financial resources and electronic financial "trading routes" during political disagreements. The military does, unfortunately, need to be used "unethically" to stop all the world's resources and trade routes (like oceans) from being conglomerated and used for blackmail against us. It's not "right" but it just is how it is. We still live under the laws of nature and, unfortunately and against the the ideals of youthful naivety, have to act like animals some times. Ron Paul is wrong on foreign policy.

Ron Paul was saying that hyperinflation doomsday was just around the corner back in 1984. He's still saying it in 2018. His economics make logical sense. However, the real world just proves him wrong. I've seen this with real world experience. Ron Paul is wrong about economics.

I think that libertarianism is one of those things that was attractive to naive and inexperienced gen xers and millenials that most grew out of with life experience. Like hippie ideas were attractive in 1969 to baby boomers but then life experience showed them that, in the real world, when hippie figures (Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, etc.) started dropping like flies to ODs and the summer of love in 1969 turned into a heroin epidemic in 1970+, hippies generally just became senseless drug addicts.

Hyperinflation is just now starting. Give it 1 more year

Discuss....

i was born in 82, which is the oldest year to be considered a millenial i believe, however i think im much more gen x than a milleniall. I agree with you totally, the world is totally fucked, Gen X was still pretty brainwashed, the millennials due to all the technology are probably the least brainwashed generation so far IMO. Given that I didnt go to school much as child and dropped out at a early age, i didnt get exposed to the brainwashing of our society and schooling systems, I havent had TV (only use internet) for about 15 years now, so I dont get brainwashed by that either...........the only conclusion I can really come up with, is that the government uses its people to benefit them, the government is not there for us. Just like professional athletes and movie stars are regular people, so are the people running the world, so of course its corrupt.

You're probably going to find yourself officially classified as a Millennial. I think 1980 or 1981 is going to stick as the cutoff point.

Kind of OT but there is something interesting i have noticed about boomer generation.

Generations X and Millennials and Generation Z are very different from country to country, for example in Russia Gen X is the mafia generation while Millennials are the least privilege and most militant generation since Stalin, they experienced real poverty and participated in the last 8 wars.

Now if you look at boomers they are basically the same in Russia, US, Europe and even China and Japan.

Last edited:
Back