Will Atlanta's new stadium be done in time for the NFL season? Update: more delays possible

I think 80K is still more than most pro arenas.

Many pro teams limited stadium capacities when the NFL had the blackout rule requiring 85% of tickets to be sold 72 hours prior to a game or the game would be blacked out on local television. They suspended it in 2015 and 2016. The Vikings were one team that had problems selling enough tickets and local businesses often bought blocks of tickets to help them avoid the blackout.

There just doesn't seem to be much progression on the construction. Looking at the outdoor view and going back a day at a time, not much changes. Maybe there is more work being done on the other side of the stadium.

They have started installing seats in one second level area.

They put the fifth of eight pieces on the roof starting at about 10 this morning. When the fog cleared about 4 it appears to be in place.

The sixth of the eight sections of movable roof was put up last night. They might get all eight of them up before the end of January. It appears that the last two are ready to go up. I imagine wind is a factor.

They put the seventh movable section up on the roof yesterday morning and the eighth section up this morning. They have 4 sections of framework under construction on the floor that I assume connect to the sections already on the roof then get covered with some type of skin.

It seemed like the construction was accelerating after they got all eight movable sections in place. They started putting the next sections up on Feb 3rd with each of the large cranes lifting one into place. One crane was disconnected from the section it had lifted on the 5th. It then lifted another section in place on the 8th. It is still connected to that section today. It appears that the other crane is still connected to the section it lifted on Feb 3rd. I don't know if they have a problem with these but it seems to be taking a long time.

They finally disconnected one crane late yesterday and lifted another section last night. The other crane still appears to be connected to the first section it lifted on Feb 3rd. It hasn't moved.

They finally disconnected the crane from the section they put up on Feb 3. They're moving that crane to set another section.

You have an awful lot of knowledge about what they're doing with the stadium for someone that doesn't work as a part of the construction crew there. Even if you work nearby the stadium and walkby it every day that seems to be a lot of info about whats going on.

You have an awful lot of knowledge about what they're doing with the stadium for someone that doesn't work as a part of the construction crew there. Even if you work nearby the stadium and walkby it every day that seems to be a lot of info about whats going on.

They have construction cameras showing a lot of the work.
http://www.earthcam.net/projects/atlantafalcons/newstadiumrwd/rwd.php?cam=cchd

There are time lapse photos available all the way back to the very beginning of construction. The indoor views are about every hour and the outdoor about every 15 minutes. I can see what went on at what time. I've watched progress on many construction projects. There is a lot left to do on this stadium and judging from the time it took to do it on other parts of the stadium, it will be difficult to finish by June.

They're converting Turner Field into a fooball stadium for Georgia State, that would be suitable for a few preseason games. The quality of the stadium doesn't have to be as much for preseason as regular season.

It would be interesting to know what's going on. The movable roof sections are just framework. They will need to be covered with something. There is one of the triangular shaped side panels that they haven't even started to cover. It took almost 3 months to cover a matching section from Nov 11 to Feb 1. There is a lot of work to be completed on the complex roof aside from the movable portion to get it weather tight.

I don't imagine people with PSLs and season tickets would be happy in a college stadium. I think the schedule calls for demolition of the Georgia dome very soon.

They disconnected last night from the 2 sections they placed Wednesday. I think there are 2 more of those to install then 8 smaller sections. It looked like they added weight in specific places, possibly to change the shape for easier installation.

It appears they are getting ready to disassemble the largest crane on the site, the Manitowoc 31000 that can lift 2500 tons. Here is a video of one of the lifts it made and the video of how it's assembled for anyone interested.

Last edited:
They put solar panels on the parking structure in the foreground. I don't know why they didn't use them on the roof.
transmogrify.rsr

Green Bay will never get a Super Bowl. The city won't bid enough to get one and the NFL won't trust the weather.

I was just pointing out that Lambeau holds more people than many of the stadiums where the game has been and will be. They are being held in cold weather cities like Detroit and Minneapolis. Cities are starting to question the cost vs benefits of hosting one.

They can get 80,000 people to attend a Packers game since most of the people who go to Packers games live in Wisconsin so they don't need hotel rooms. But a Super Bowl where most of the people in attendance of the game are visitors is a whole different ball game. Plus I doubt that GB has all of the different other venues required for all of the other events that place in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

Wasn't it supposed to ready for the MLS team? I heard they're opening up at Georgia Tech's stadium.

Wasn't it supposed to ready for the MLS team? I heard they're opening up at Georgia Tech's stadium.

Yes, they had to give up on the MLS opening. They had backed up to being ready in June for the NFL but that remains to be seen. There's a lot of work to be done and when I go back a few months on the timeline pictures, things don't seem to progress very fast. Maybe they are waiting for materials to be manufactured.

They have to finish the movable portion of the roof then install the video screen around the opening before they can get the cranes out of inside the building. It appears that they have 16 pieces of the framework in place and another 8 pieces to go. Then they have to cover the framework with panels to weatherproof it. The rest of the roof has to be covered.

They have the video panels on the face of the seating sections installed and operating. They almost have the biggest crane, the Manitowoc 31000, dismantled.

Back