Will Atlanta's new stadium be done in time for the NFL season? Update: more delays possible

I guess when the new dome started to fall behind that they pushed back any dismantling of it just in case. They would have to restock all of the conession stands with food though but that shouldn't take that long.

I saw lots of people standing around looking at the construction site with little work being done. That is a sure sign that worthless management people are around.

Steve Cannon, Atlanta Falcons CEO, reported they have come to the conclusion that the stadium won't be ready for the July 30 MLS match and that will be played at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd stadium on July 29th where they are scheduled to play earlier matches. No more matches will be played there after July 29th as the stadium will be used by Georgia Tech.

The plan now calls for the Falcons to play in the new stadium on August 26th.

Even so, Cannon said the demolition of the Georgia Dome will be put on hold as an insurance policy until a certificate of occupancy is granted for the new stadium.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...delays-mercedes-benz-stadium-opening-46865656
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...delays-mercedes-benz-stadium-opening-46865656
They are reporting that 3/4s of the movable roof is installed but it is actually 3/4ths of the framework that is installed. After the last 8 pieces of the framework are installed, they have to be covered with something to keep the weather out. They haven't been very fast at getting the rest of the roof covered. I don't know if they're waiting for material or are short of labor.

I assume they need to finish the roof before they can install the video screen around the roof opening. I don't know how long that will take but it will likely require a crane on the stadium floor to lift sections in place. If so it takes more time away from getting the floor ready.

They started moving the roof sections to open the roof at 9am and had them all the way open by 5pm. I don't know if they'll close and open again or start adding the final 8 frame sections.

Lots of people standing around again this morning at the stadium. Either admiring the view with the roof open or discussing problems encountered with opening it. The press releases early on said the roof would open or close in 7 minutes. It took 8 hours to do it yesterday. I'm sure they would go slow the first time but that seems very slow.

I'm shocked at how long I've been following this and Ralph's updates.

Haha, I know right? I keep coming in, something about construction going awry is captivating.

They picked up one of the last 8 roof frame pieces about 1am Saturday morning, moved it sideways close to the ground and let it hang there and set it back where they lifted it from at about 5 am. I don't know if they had a problem with the crane.

They lifted a section on the opposite side with the larger crane about noon and had it in position by 2pm.

They lifted the section that they had lifted earlier at about 8 pm and are positioning it.

They have 4 of the last 8 sections of the movable roof frame in position. The other 4 are on the floor of the stadium. If the last 4 go as well, all of the framework should be in place by the end of next week.

The last two pieces of framework for the movable roof were lifted into place early this morning. I expect them to be unhooked from the cranes by tomorrow morning. I suspect they will start dismantling one crane very soon.

I guess the inability to finish is contagious in Atlanta.

They assembled a piece today on the floor of the stadium with a sign with the construction company names and an American flag. I suspect it's for a topping out ceremony but that usually involves a tree too. Maybe they'll add that tomorrow.

They just added a tree so they should be lifting and installing the final piece of the roof structure soon.

They topped it out at 5 PM.

Atlanta should be exiled to the CFL for that disgusting SB display.

I guess the inability to finish is contagious in Atlanta.

tumblr_inline_oobs34oo1x1qe8tg3_500.gif

You have to give Matty Ice a break. The falcons were playing against Tom Brady.

All Matty had to do was sustain one drive in the fourth quarter or at least hold onto the ball and not fumble.

The largest remaining crane at MBS is being dismantled.

The second largest crane is dismantled and mostly out of the building. There is one lattice boom crane left in the building with a long enough boom to reach onto the roof. There is another lattice boom crane about the same size with a shorter boom. There appears to be a boom extension but it could be for one of the two hydraulic extension boom cranes.

I thought they would be covering the movable roof with panels but I don't see any yet. There doesn't appear to be much going on in view of the cameras other than the ventilation system and they are removing some dirt on the floor. I don't see any progress on the rest of the roof either on the side in view of the camera.

The Vikings arena is already leaking and panels are falling off the side.

The Vikings arena is already leaking and panels are falling off the side.

They had some blow off and others leaking before they even finished it. Architects design things that can't be built. Having to withstand temperatures from -30 to over 100 makes it a challenge to seal anything.

Back