Why is wrestling considered by some to be the best base for mma

under which rock where you living all this years this ranks among the top 10 of stupid posts. Wrestling dictates where the fight takes place. Getting grapplefucked turns grown men into babies

Punches turn them unconscious faster than wrestling can. Fight results prove this. Thus there are bases superior to wrestling

Wrestling is consider the best base because of a disproportionately large number of top fighters come from wrestling backgrounds. That's just a simple fact. No one cares how you feel about it.

There no feelings about it; the fastest proven way to end a fight is ko by punches. There's so many from wrestling backgrounds in mma cause they can't get a job doing freestyle/ Greco because no one wants to create a league/ pay for them to do it as entertainment because it's not entertaining. It's not entertaining because it's not fighting; people like watching fighting (case in point pro boxing). There is no professional version of collegiate wrestling. Am I getting through to you at all.

Punches turn them unconscious faster than wrestling can. Fight results prove this. Thus there are bases superior to wrestling

Average fight time is irrelevant to overall success. Why are so fixated on this stupid metric? You must think Pat Barry or Erik Silva or people like them are the greatest fighters ever, since they tend to finish fast. Meanwhile GSP is an untalented clown who never finishes.

Wrestling already dominates MMA.

Now imagine replacing the mats with concrete, allowing knees on the ground, allowing headbutts, and allowing head spiking. Wrestlers would kill people every other fight. A slam on concrete = likely death.
A slam on concrete is not a collegiate wrestling move.

under which rock where you living all this years this ranks among the top 10 of stupid posts. Wrestling dictates where the fight takes place. Getting grapplefucked turns grown men into babies

There are too many fights where wrestling Dosent dictate where the fight takes place( Conor vs anyone, Aldo Edgar2, Gus v jones, trt vitor vs anyone, Anderson vs 99 % of his opponents). So don't try to invent axioms

QUOTE="mmaleatherneck, post: 131096589, member: 282859"]off the top of my head,

see Frank Shamrock scoring a TKO from a double-leg- turned slam in about 20 seconds on Igor Zinoviev/

im sure ther are faster striking KOs, and faster wrestling finishes also,

but 20 seconds in the UFC is pretty efficient.[/QUOTE]

One example from the dark ages of mma. A good example, I'll admit. But the sheer volume of fights ending in ko via punches and the speed at which they happens swallows any notion that wrestling could ever finish fights faster, cleaner, or more
Spectacularly

Last edited:
lol i know but go easy on him.

youve never been attacked by someone with a blade. A lot of people haven't so I don't blame you for it going over your head. Guess what I didn't do? Use wrestling. It would have got me stabbed. Do you understand now

Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.
Because it's 2017 and a wrestler in a fight isn't out to "pin" you.

Wtf kind of stupid thread is this...

tenor.gif

all of these are true, plus:

many good points have been made, but this is 1 of the best.

it boils down to:
1. control
2. cardio
3. familiarity with intense competition

in order to finish a fight, you have to be in the position to do so.

if i am to believe you did in fact wrestle in high school (which i assume is true)

then your question convinces me of 1 thing:

youve never done much fighting- IF you had, your wrestling skills would take over, and any
thing you did to win (gnp, etc)

would ONLY be possible because you first used your wrestling.

Nah bro landing fast hard punches and not standing in one place put me in a position to finish the fight, not wrestling. Wrestling would have got me smashed as the guy was a lot bigger than me and tried to use wrestling himself. You're not wrong, in that wrestling can help, but to invent axioms like victory can only come through the channel of wrestling,(which is what you just said) is absurd given how many times fights are won by punches

There are too many fights where wrestling Dosent dictate where the fight takes place( Conor vs anyone, Aldo Edgar2, Gus v jones, trt vitor vs anyone, Anderson vs 99 % of his opponents). So don't try to invent axioms
Lmao wrestling didn't dictate Gus vs Jones or Aldo vs Edgar ? Without good TDD Gus and Aldo would've been wrestlefucked. Confirmed casual, you didn't even watch the fights

youve never been attacked by someone with a blade. A lot of people haven't so I don't blame you for it going over your head. Guess what I didn't do? Use wrestling. It would have got me stabbed. Do you understand now
Do they use knives in MMA? You bring a question in your title and come up with random tangents on why wrestling isn't a good base for street fighting. Street fighting is an entirely different thing.The majority of champions have a base in wreslting. Wrestling dictates where a fight goes. It's not rocket science dude.

Because it's 2017 and a wrestler in a fight isn't out to "pin" you.

Wtf kind of stupid thread is this...

tenor.gif

Pinning is the only finishing move in wrestling. So if the wrestler is going to use other means to finish me, it won't be wrestling anymore. Thus wrestling as a base must be supplemented with something else to be effective for fighting. Boxing, kickboxing, Bjj can stand alone in terms of finishing an opponent. Thus they are better bases for fighting . Do you get it now. Nod your head yes.

Lmao wrestling didn't dictate Gus vs Jones or Aldo vs Edgar ? Without good TDD Gus and Aldo would've been wrestlefucked. Confirmed casual, you didn't even watch the fights

Striking led the day In Those fights. I'm sorry there is no professional version of collegiate wrestling for these wrestlers to get promoted to man. Pat Cummins, an elite college wrestler, had to work at Starbucks while mediocre and overhyped boxers like Adrian broner make millions cause people actually pay and want to see their sport. I really am sorry.

We dont know that many have tried and done very well...for now the bulk simply arent interested. Elite judko are happy with olymic funding or semiars and comps etc

Wait having a UFC champion, Dream Champion, a few top10 fighters is not that many? Remember there are fewer Judokas than Wrestlers so don't think in absolute numbers but relative to sports size. Hell coming from Poland, a country which used to be strong both in Judo and Wrestling despite having more low level kid judo schools we have more high level wrestling prospects, comps and events than judo

Do they use knives in MMA? You bring a question in your title and come up with random tangents on why wrestling isn't a good base for street fighting. Street fighting is an entirely different thing.The majority of champions have a base in wreslting. Wrestling dictates where a fight goes. It's not rocket science dude.

Let's be real there is a notion on sheepdog that wrestling is the best base for fighting in mma and wherever else. And to your other point, there are too many examples of fights in mma and wherever else that have been decided by strikes and not wrestling to make the claim that all success in fighting comes through the channel of wrestling. It's simply not true.

Pinning is the only finishing move in wrestling. So if the wrestler is going to use other means to finish me, it won't be wrestling anymore. Thus wrestling as a base must be supplemented with something else to be effective for fighting. Boxing, kickboxing, Bjj can stand alone in terms of finishing an opponent. Thus they are better bases for fighting . Do you get it now. Nod your head yes.
You're asking about bases, not finishing moves you idiot. Wrestling is easily one of the best bases because you dictate where the fight takes place. This is day one shit you moron.

Any idiot can "learn" and use ground and pound in a minute. If you can take a guy down, you can pound him out. It's really that simple.

If you said "what discipline has the best skill set for finishing a fight" maybe you wouldn't look like such dumbass.

This was the prevailing wisdom in 2010, do people still think this?

Back